IGNORED

Can the typical golfer hit the green from 150?

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the dark area around the green on the par 4? At first I thought it was water. Doesn't look inviting whatever it is.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I only hit GIR 38-40% of the time from any distance, often inside the 150. I don't think 18 is visable from the clubhouse at Riverdale. The Knolls was hacked up when they built the Dunes. The holes were once in a different order. That museum was once the clubhouse. Could be wrong don't play there much. But the patio overlooks the cart barn and a practice green. But no most golfers don't hit GIR from 150.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is the dark area around the green on the par 4? At first I thought it was water. Doesn't look inviting whatever it is.

Yeah, it's an island green. No getting up and down after missing that one.

Illustrates how important a great tee shot can be in situations where  up and downs are not likely or not possible.

I would be cautious about making an 18th hole the litmus test for whether average golfers can hit the green from 150 yards. It depends a lot on how the final hole was designed and set up.

My home course Stonewolf is a "championship" course designed by Jack Nicklaus, with the 18th hole as 403-yd.from the middle tees No. 2 HDCP. It  has a terraced green set on a 45-degree angle to the axis of the fairway. The right half is covered by a deep fronting bunker, and the left side falls off to the back, with a testy ridge that covers the left fringe. The approach goes uphill, generally with a crosswind from the left. It's a tough hole.

Compare this with final hole at A.L. Gustin, the community golf course at the University of Missouri. It's 365 yards from the middle tees, with a gently rolling fairway leading to a large, fairly flat green with front bunkers left and right. It's No. 16 HDCP. Lots of pars and birdies.

A "championship" course wants to give players a final exam on No. 18; a community course, on the other hand, wants pleasant memories of that final hole so casual players are encouraged to return next week.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I would be cautious about making an 18th hole the litmus test for whether average golfers can hit the green from 150 yards. It depends a lot on how the final hole was designed and set up.

My home course Stonewolf is a "championship" course designed by Jack Nicklaus, with the 18th hole as 403-yd.from the middle tees No. 2 HDCP. It  has a terraced green set on a 45-degree angle to the axis of the fairway. The right half is covered by a deep fronting bunker, and the left side falls off to the back, with a testy ridge that covers the left fringe. The approach goes uphill, generally with a crosswind from the left. It's a tough hole.

Compare this with final hole at A.L. Gustin, the community golf course at the University of Missouri. It's 365 yards from the middle tees, with a gently rolling fairway leading to a large, fairly flat green with front bunkers left and right. It's No. 16 HDCP. Lots of pars and birdies.

A "championship" course wants to give players a final exam on No. 18; a community course, on the other hand, wants pleasant memories of that final hole so casual players are encouraged to return next week.

A lot of players are several beers in by that point too!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I will go along with the notion that the majority of golfers have the ability to hit the green from 150 but usually do not.  On 150 or so par 3's that are somewhat open I am probably at around 40%.  From anywhere on the course from 150 I am more like 20%.  On the driving range to a target "green" at 150 I am closer to 60% since I get the same shot 10 times in a row.  One of the most challenging aspects of our game is achieving performance on the course that is consistent with our ability.

• Administrator

No.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

...the patio overlooks the cart barn and a practice green. But no most golfers don't hit GIR from 150.

Yes Dave, the patio does face NE. The south side of the building housing clubhouse, pro shop, meeting rooms has a fair view of 18 approach and green... but the parking lot has better.

Muni parking lots can be used for more than changing shoes; like perhaps relaxing and observing for a bit. :whistle:

Poetic license?

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Quote:
A scratch golfer hits an average of 12 greens in regulation, 81% of the fairways, has 29.0 putts, 3.2 birdies per round and 11.8 pars per round.

A golfer that averages a score of 85 hits 5 greens in regulation, 46% of fairways, has 33.7 total putts, 0.8 birdies per round, and 6.6 pars.

A golfer that averages a score of 100 hits 0 greens in regulation, 11% of fairways, has 38.3 putts, 0 birdies, and 1.3 pars.
I used various sources including some of my own data compilation. It's tough to compare amateur statistics due to the variations in courses, ranges, or weather. Still, some valid stats can be arrived at.

Here's particularly good study....http://www.probablegolfinstruction.com/PGI%20Newsletter/news09-07-04.htm.

http://averagegolfer1.blogspot.no/2008/06/average-golfer-statistics.html

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

[URL=http://averagegolfer1.blogspot.no/2008/06/average-golfer-statistics.html]http://averagegolfer1.blogspot.no/2008/06/average-golfer-statistics.html[/URL]

The average scratch golfer hits 81% of fairways when the PGA Tour average is about 20% lower? What?

-Rich

Of course he/she can hit the green from `150..  But only once in 30 attempts.  Except for the long distances of driver, woods and the like, every 'typical' golfer occasionally hits a shot, with a result,  that even the pro would envy.  Can a duffer shoot a HIO?  Certainly.  But not nearly so frequently as a better player.  Can a hacker hit a drive 312 yards?  Now that reaches towards the 'impossible' zone, save for the ball bounding off the cart path and down the hill.

Can a pro miss a two foot putt?  Absolutely yes.  I saw it happen yesterday on TV.

Last round I played I missed 8 greens. My misses were from 180,130,155, 45(bunkered), 135, 200,195, 110. :-(

All of my misses were poorly executed swings, except for one (180).

I hit greens from 70, 90, 190, 110, 150, 130, 120, 60, 115, 110.

All my hits were well executed swings, nice and smooth.

It's hard to make a consistently to good pass at it for all 18 holes.

The average scratch golfer hits 81% of fairways when the PGA Tour average is about 20% lower? What?

PGA tour fairways are usually, hard and narrow = difficult to hold the ball on the fairway. Many scratch players will play courses with fairway much wider and softer than those on tour which could explain why they hit more FIR. On the other hand, the source quoted above may be inaccurate

Henry

150 is right around the range where my confidence level starts to drop considerably.  I probably hit the green from that range 10% of the time?  I would also consider my self to be a bit better than the average golfer.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

150 is right around the range where my confidence level starts to drop considerably.  I probably hit the green from that range 10% of the time?  I would also consider my self to be a bit better than the average golfer.

Pretty much the exact same for myself. I feel that if i'm in the fairway and a 6 iron or less in my hands then i'm looking to hit the green more than 15% of the time but for anything longer than a 6 iron i never feel like i will hit a green.

At my home course we have 4 par 3s that are in the range of 165-200yrds (some uphill/downhill) that all require me to hit either 5/4 iron depending on wind. I know from looking back through my stats, in my last 5 rounds, i have hit only 1 GIR on all these holes combined. That gives me a 5%GIR chance with my long iron from a tee.

Henry

Note: This thread is 3425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!