IGNORED

Putting

Rayoatley
Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You are on the putting green - your partner is standing  behind you looking at the line, your putter is grounded - just prior to striking the ball - your partner is telling you - to move your putter head, left -right - etc to get the right line - and then you stroke the ball. Is this legal.

Your response is contrary to rule 8-2b.

b . On the Putting Green

When the player’s ball is on the putting green , the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke , point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting

b . On the Putting Green

When the player’s ball is on the putting green , the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke , point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting

Why? No mark was made and the partner has stepped away for the stroke.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get the step away from the "line" before the "stroke" is actually made, I just don't see how your partner can tell you to adjust your putter as you are ready to stroke the ball. I don't see this happening at any time in PGA or LPGA. Seems like if it was legal - Ryder Cup would be the right time to use it. - No marks - and step away from line before the stroke.

I get the step away from the "line" before the "stroke" is actually made, I just don't see how your partner can tell you to adjust your putter as you are ready to stroke the ball. I don't see this happening at any time in PGA or LPGA. Seems like if it was legal - Ryder Cup would be the right time to use it. - No marks - and step away from line before the stroke.

As long as he is part of your side , then it is allowed.  "A “ side ” is a player, or two or more players who are partners ." "A “ partner ’’ is a player associated with another player on the same side ."

I make this clarification because the term " partner " is so often misused in golf.  Players often use it to refer to anyone they are playing with, but that is not how it is used in the rules.  A partner is part of your team in a competition, whether the team is 2, 3, 4 or more players.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Ray

You will see caddies helping their players to align for a stroke and particularly for a putt.  I think I'm right in saying it is much more obvious (intrusive even!) in women's golf.

Part of this is probably confidence in their (Tour pros) ability. I know I'm much more comfortable stroking my own read and line then trusting someone else's and I'm a 20, so I imagine if I'm good enough to be on tour I'm going to be pretty confident in my own abilities.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

b. On the Putting Green

When the player’s ball is on the putting green, the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke, point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting

as other have pointed out, his response is not contrary to Rule 8-2b.  It is during the stroke that providing alignment help is illegal.  But it (pointing out the line by telling the player how to adjust his putter face) is fine during the addressing of the ball (i.e,  when the player is ready to hit his stroke but has not yet initiated it).

But more tellingly, this happens all the time on the LPGA tour.  The caddies line up their players on the green and then step away right before the putt is hit.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

But more tellingly, this happens all the time on the LPGA tour.  The caddies line up their players on the green and then step away right before the putt is hit.

Correct.  I also saw it on nearly every shot during the US Women's Amateur.  It happens all the time.

Note: This thread is 3509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!