IGNORED

Portland Golf(ers)?

mdl
Note: This thread is 3504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've taken a job in Beaverton, just west of Portland, OR.  Will be moving from LA in 3 weeks!  Looking to live somewhere between Beaverton and Portland.  Three questions.

Courses/Ranges : I searched and there are some threads on good courses in the Portland area.  But I've got a newborn and am specifically wondering about the best courses that will be super close to where I'll be living.  Basically, what are the best of the handful of courses I see in the Beaverton, Portland, Lake Oswego triangle?  Also, are there any private or semi-private clubs worth joining?  I can't afford a real country club or anything, but I could be interested in something like a semi-private club with reasonable monthly fees where I could get in 9 holes before work (of course light permitting) and super fast rounds on the weekends.  Also, any recommended ranges in that area?  In LA weather I just practice with BirdieBalls on my own, but I figure in the damp and (winter) dark, I'll want to find the best covered night-lit range to keep my swing from disappearing!

Gear/Weather :  I'm coming from LA but grew up in Philly and am not afraid of the weather.  But I figure I'll need gear.  What's really needed?  Full rain suit, pants and all?  1, 2, 5 gloves to rotate through a round?  How many towels?  Hand warmers?  I've heard stories about clubs with covered carts with propane warmers.  Is that standard at many courses in winter?  Is it worth it/necessary to invest in your own portable warmer for golf to be fun over the winter months?  Any club maintenance tips or stuff like that?  Any other tips for golf in the constant damp/drizzle?  What are the seasons for pretty miserable/hyper dedicated only golf versus soggy and overcast but fine/pretty dedicated versus sweet summertime/all golfers?

Players :  Any TSTers looking to add an occasional golfer to the group?  I say occasional because of the baby.  I'd golf 4 days a week if I were single and childless!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I've taken a job in Beaverton, just west of Portland, OR.  Will be moving from LA in 3 weeks!

Well that blows!!  (For us I mean, not for you! ;))

Congratulations!!

Chevk out http://thedanplan.com/courses-played/ - he's a guy much discussed here. He is documenting his journey in golf and has reviewed most courses in Portland. He plays throughout the year in Portland and has videos and blog entries of himself playing thru the different seasons. Send him an email- he has replied to a couple I've sent him. Edit: oh crap- I didn't see u were forum leader ! I wrote my reply to someone I thought didn't post much. Duh. Was quickly writing in between other tasks and missed that!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

So I've taken a job in Beaverton, just west of Portland, OR.  Will be moving from LA in 3 weeks!  Looking to live somewhere between Beaverton and Portland.  Three questions.

Courses/Ranges: I searched and there are some threads on good courses in the Portland area.  But I've got a newborn and am specifically wondering about the best courses that will be super close to where I'll be living.  Basically, what are the best of the handful of courses I see in the Beaverton, Portland, Lake Oswego triangle?  Also, are there any private or semi-private clubs worth joining?  I can't afford a real country club or anything, but I could be interested in something like a semi-private club with reasonable monthly fees where I could get in 9 holes before work (of course light permitting) and super fast rounds on the weekends.  Also, any recommended ranges in that area?  In LA weather I just practice with BirdieBalls on my own, but I figure in the damp and (winter) dark, I'll want to find the best covered night-lit range to keep my swing from disappearing!

Gear/Weather:  I'm coming from LA but grew up in Philly and am not afraid of the weather.  But I figure I'll need gear.  What's really needed?  Full rain suit, pants and all?  1, 2, 5 gloves to rotate through a round?  How many towels?  Hand warmers?  I've heard stories about clubs with covered carts with propane warmers.  Is that standard at many courses in winter?  Is it worth it/necessary to invest in your own portable warmer for golf to be fun over the winter months?  Any club maintenance tips or stuff like that?  Any other tips for golf in the constant damp/drizzle?  What are the seasons for pretty miserable/hyper dedicated only golf versus soggy and overcast but fine/pretty dedicated versus sweet summertime/all golfers?

Players:  Any TSTers looking to add an occasional golfer to the group?  I say occasional because of the baby.  I'd golf 4 days a week if I were single and childless!

Congrats on the new job. I agree with @Golfingdad though; it sucks to be losing one of the SoCal guys.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Congrats on the new job.  I have two brothers that live close to there (Vancouver WA).  Be prepared for A LOT of rain...

The nice thing about the rainy season though, is the rates go down.  I played Camas Meadows with my brother a few years back.  I think it was around $25 - $30 with a cart.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Aww, thanks guys.

Chevk out http://thedanplan.com/courses-played/ - he's a guy much discussed here. He is documenting his journey in golf and has reviewed most courses in Portland.

He plays throughout the year in Portland and has videos and blog entries of himself playing thru the different seasons. Send him an email- he has replied to a couple I've sent him.

Edit: oh crap- I didn't see u were forum leader ! I wrote my reply to someone I thought didn't post much. Duh. Was quickly writing in between other tasks and missed that!

It's all good.  Thanks for the pointer.  I've only looked a few times at new posts in the Dan plan thread here and checked out his site for 5 minutes once.  I didn't realize he's in Portland and has reviews of most of the courses.  I'll take a look for sure.

Congrats on the new job.  I have two brothers that live close to there (Vancouver WA).  Be prepared for A LOT of rain...

The nice thing about the rainy season though, is the rates go down.  I played Camas Meadows with my brother a few years back.  I think it was around $25 - $30 with a cart.

Yeah.  I'm gearing myself up for the rain.  Saving grace is that I'm moving from a very underpaid postdoc to a "real" job, so with my wife's income we'll finally be able to afford to get up out of the gray and ski!  Mt Hood Meadows is a 1:30 drive and $500 no restrictions season pass!

I've also heard about the great winter pricing.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

This is an example of his "Courses Played" area, in case you haven't seen. I highlighted a course to the west of Beaverton. He includes stuff like the practice facilities, as well as his overall impression of the golf there. It's not a bad little guide actually. Good luck!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!