IGNORED

Shipping clubs for a trip

ElWagonne
Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never been on a buddies trip but I'm doing one in October.  Wondering if anyone on here has shipped clubs to the location instead of paying for baggage fees.  Also trying to get reviews of services that ship clubs.  Any help would be appreciated.

I've never done it but a friend of mine shipped his clubs via FedEx and said it worked great.  He travels for his work and was meeting his family in AZ during spring training.  He shipped his clubs on Monday before he flew out to work and when he flew into AZ, the clubs where at the hotel waiting for him.  I think round trip was about $150, he said it was much easier than lugging them thru the airport.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I used Shipsticks.com and it was extremely pleasant.

After you setup your trip, put the dates in ship sticks to get costs and delivery dates. After that, all I had to do was print the ship sticks provided shipping labels and have my clubs boxed. Ship sticks schedules a delivery pickup (or you can drop-off at many locations) both ways.

I think I paid about $75 total for shipping to and from for my vacation from Illinois to Phoenix, AZ

I highly recommend them

Driver: RBZ Stage 2 10.5

3 Wood: RBZ 16HL

3 Hybrid: RBZ 21

Irons: Mizuno MP54 4-PW w/ TT Dynalite Gold Shafts

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50,54,58 with DG Spinner Shafts

Putter: Mizuno MP A301

Shipsticks picked up my clubs a day late going and a day late coming back, so I wasn't impressed.  If it had only happened one way I'd have given them a pass but after knowing they messed up shipping them out I'd have hoped they'd make sure the return trip was handled properly, no such luck.

They basically take the legwork out of you having to go to a FedEx or UPS store, but in the end that would have been easier for me.  I won't use them again.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any FedEx Office location has the reusable shipping boxes for golf clubs.  Obviously, you have to buy the box and pay shipping both ways.  Here's what the wife and I do:

The FedEx golf club box is 12 x 12 x 48" long.  It easily holds a cart bag filled with 14 clubs with room to spare.  We put everything ELSE we need for a 3-4 day golf vacation inside the box as well.  This includes (mine) all my golf clothes, shoes, tennis shoes, flip-flops, clothes that I'll be wearing before and after golf, stuff like sunscreen, hats and pretty much anything else I think I might need.

We pack the boxes, tape them up, print round trip labels (don't forget to put the return label inside the box to relabel for return) affix label and drop them off at FedEx Office for Ground (surface) transport to wherever we're going.  You have to check service days from your place to wherever you are going to determine what day to ship.  FedEx Ground has delivered our boxes on time each time and had them waiting at the hotel / resort each time prior to our arrival.

Packing everything inside the golf club boxes means we're able to travel with one small suitcase that can be gate checked.  That contains enough stuff so that if the clubs are misrouted or show up a day late, we have essentials with us.

FedEx is a great service for shipping your clubs and anything else you can put in that box.  I think our boxes have been shipped out and back home about 4 times now.  Boxes need a bit of 'taping-up' to make sure the contents are safe, but other than that, great experience shipping this way.  You don't want to watch my wife try to navigate an airport with her golf bag in a travel bag with wheels.  Not pretty. And I can't manage two by myself AND our bags.

Shipping the clubs and everything else you can fit in that box makes way too much sense anymore.

dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

i travel fairly often for work with clubs. i find its just easier and cheaper to check them at the airport. the one time i did, i used fedex. i seem to recall it costing around 140 bucks round trip

• 3 years later...

Reviving this old thread to get updated opinions on FedEx shipping clubs, Ship Sticks and anybody else that offers that service.

Headed home in October for to play old home course and catch a Longhorn game in Austin.  

I used to travel with my clubs quite often for work, and became such a hassle I finally just picked nicer courses to play and rented clubs there.  Really don't want to do that this go round, and just wondering a few years after this thread started what people are doing to get their clubs safely to their final destination.

I do have a hard travel case that I used to put my clubs and other stuff in.   Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pay the extra baggage fee and do that.

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

27 minutes ago, scotth said:

I do have a hard travel case that I used to put my clubs and other stuff in.   Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pay the extra baggage fee and do that.

If you already have a travel case, wouldn't it be cheaper just to fly with it? Or are you worried about airline baggage handling ineptitude?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

38 minutes ago, billchao said:

If you already have a travel case, wouldn't it be cheaper just to fly with it?  Or are you worried about airline baggage handling ineptitude?

Handling is a big concern.  Last time I took my clubs with me I cringed as I looked out the window and watched the handlers throwing golf cases back on the cart after they fell off as they drove to plane.

Also not sure if it is any more or less expensive to pay the baggage fee on American Airlines for my clubs vs using FedEx or somebody else.

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

I am flying to SC Sept 26. After researching, I plan to use FedEx for clubs round trip. I'll report experience when I.return, but research confirms what was said about FedEx above. My reason is that as age creeps up, it is more difficult to haul bags thru airports. One thing I learned already is to make sure hotel will receive and store for you...Would be a bad thing to have them rejected. -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:04 AM, billchao said:

Or are you worried about airline baggage handling ineptitude?

@scotthI am glad this thread was revived, thank you

and yes I do worry about baggage handling ineptitude as I fly enough to see what happens to my luggage plus hauling clubs thru an airport just really sucks

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

On 9/1/2017 at 5:04 AM, billchao said:

If you already have a travel case, wouldn't it be cheaper just to fly with it? Or are you worried about airline baggage handling ineptitude?

True, I'd rather check in the clubs for $25 than ship them. I used to do this and have done so many times.

On 9/1/2017 at 5:42 AM, scotth said:

Handling is a big concern.  Last time I took my clubs with me I cringed as I looked out the window and watched the handlers throwing golf cases back on the cart after they fell off as they drove to plane.

Also not sure if it is any more or less expensive to pay the baggage fee on American Airlines for my clubs vs using FedEx or somebody else.

I usually bubble wrap the heads individually then put bubble wrap around the entire bag inside the soft carrier that I use. It looks kind of bloated, but then I don't worry about the 10-20 foot drops the bag takes. 15+ trips including to Asia and my cheap $89 Costco Callaway bag is still working fine. I saw one hard shell case crack open and decided against buying them even though they're supposed to be better.

The other thing I sometimes did was to practice with some of my crappier clubs before a trip and take those with me.

But there's a 3rd option: Nowadays, I just rent a decent set of clubs for $40 and avoid all the hassles of bringing my own clubs. I rented a set for something like $12 in Boston with an aluminum driver, and that club kept all my drives on the fairway. Everything was R flex to boot. They worked better than my regular clubs that day. . .So much for having paid $350 for a fitted driver and another $300 for the 3W. :-P Generally, rented clubs can be almost as good as your own set anyway. I go to a Golf store or club, and get a decent set for $40-$50 a round. The courses in China/Asia have really nice sets. No point in bringing my own clubs there.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 9/1/2017 at 9:06 AM, MarvChamp said:

I am flying to SC Sept 26. After researching, I plan to use FedEx for clubs round trip. I'll report experience when I.return, but research confirms what was said about FedEx above. My reason is that as age creeps up, it is more difficult to haul bags thru airports. One thing I learned already is to make sure hotel will receive and store for you...Would be a bad thing to have them rejected. -Marv

I recently broke ties with ShipSticks. They screwed me royally on my last transaction in July. Awful customer service, incompetent handling of a clear mistake/false advertising on their behalf. I'll never use them again.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 9/1/2017 at 8:04 AM, billchao said:

I am pretty sure the same people load up the UPS/FedEx flights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, upndown21 said:

I am pretty sure the same people load up the UPS/FedEx flights.

Shipping companies are a bit better at getting things to the right destination, which is what I was referring to.

I expect all package/luggage handlers to be rough with my stuff and pack accordingly.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

13 hours ago, Lihu said:

True, I'd rather check in the clubs for $25 than ship them. I used to do this and have done so many times.

I usually bubble wrap the heads individually then put bubble wrap around the entire bag inside the soft carrier that I use. It looks kind of bloated, but then I don't worry about the 10-20 foot drops the bag takes. 15+ trips including to Asia and my cheap $89 Costco Callaway bag is still working fine. I saw one hard shell case crack open and decided against buying them even though they're supposed to be better.

The other thing I sometimes did was to practice with some of my crappier clubs before a trip and take those with me.

But there's a 3rd option: Nowadays, I just rent a decent set of clubs for $40 and avoid all the hassles of bringing my own clubs. I rented a set for something like $12 in Boston with an aluminum driver, and that club kept all my drives on the fairway. Everything was R flex to boot. They worked better than my regular clubs that day. . .So much for having paid $350 for a fitted driver and another $300 for the 3W. :-P Generally, rented clubs can be almost as good as your own set anyway. I go to a Golf store or club, and get a decent set for $40-$50 a round. The courses in China/Asia have really nice sets. No point in bringing my own clubs there.

$40/round for rentals?  That would get pricey if you played more than a couple of rounds.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I fly once or twice a year with my clubs.  I've looked at FedEx and Ship Sticks, and its always been more expensive than paying the airline.  I use a high-quality (ClubGlove) travel bag, and I've never had any problems.  I've read, and it makes sense, that I should remove the heads from my long clubs and store them in a pocket to minimize the chance of damage.  I'd also consider something like the Club Glove Stiff Arm (https://www.clubglove.com/StiffArm/) to decrease the chance of damage.  I strongly prefer a soft case, its much easier to fit into a rental car, and takes up vastly less space rolled up in your hotel room.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

When I have travelled with my clubs, which isn't often because it is such a pain, I use a Samsonite bag with roller wheels. I wrap several towels and around the clubheads to protect them. 

Im going to Costa Rica in a few weeks and I'm tempted to take them. I probably won't though. 

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!