IGNORED

Spray Painting Course

Layton
Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's a small 9 hole course near me which I play on a somewhat frequent basis. It's nice for a little golf after work or playing with friends that aren't quite "ready" for a more serious course.

While I like the course and its accessibility, recently they've taken to "spray painting" the entire course green. I asked the groundskeeper what they were doing and he said it was fertilizer, but I've never seen anything like it at other courses.

I wouldn't be complaining if it wasn't effecting anybody, but it turns EVERYTHING green. My shoes, clubs, balls, clothes, etc. have all turned green after playing there.

Has anybody seen this done on other courses or am I being unreasonable for complaining to the management?

Taylormade R1 9*

Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5*

Titleist 910H 18*

Taylormade MC 3-PW

Nike SV 54*

Cleveland CG15 58*

Taylormade Ghost TM880 Custom

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Has anybody seen this done on other courses or am I being unreasonable for complaining to the management?

I've seen it.

It's a clear fertilizer and they add colorant (green works because it's a golf course) so that the applicator (the person, I mean) can see where they've sprayed.

Paging @wils5150 and @MS256 .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They add the green dye to the spray to see the spray pattern, this helps prevent missed passes or overlaps with the sprayer. We typically wash it in with the hose afterwards but it is able to dry as well. If it is staining your gear they probably added too much dye to the mix.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

They add the green dye to the spray to see the spray pattern, this helps prevent missed passes or overlaps with the sprayer. We typically wash it in with the hose afterwards but it is able to dry as well. If it is staining your gear they probably added too much dye to the mix.

yeah it could be this. also many new chemicals civitas is one that has a pigment dye that is a activator. there are also turf sunsceens that are colored as well. I have used the above in the past and they work great.

I've seen it. It's a clear fertilizer and they add colorant (green works because it's a golf course) so that the applicator (the person, I mean) can see where they've sprayed. Paging @wils5150 and @MS256 .

Ah alright that makes a little more sense. I've worked at a few courses and played plenty and haven't had any kind of stains like this before. @SavvySwede you must be right. If it's somewhat common there has to be a way to do it right without staining everything

Taylormade R1 9*

Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5*

Titleist 910H 18*

Taylormade MC 3-PW

Nike SV 54*

Cleveland CG15 58*

If the person is using it as a spray indicator the chemical being sprayed dictates what you do with it. say your were spraying a fungicide that has to dry on the plant like daconile. you wouldnt be able to "hose it off". usually the dye dries pretty quick unless there is a heavy dew or the alike

usually the dye dries pretty quick unless there is a heavy dew or the alike

Actually, I just played this particular course Sunday afternoon and everything was completely dry with no evidence of the spray whatsoever... until I looked at the underside of my versa putter that is haha.

My guess based off what everybody is saying would be that they're just messing something up along the way and thats whats doing this.

Taylormade R1 9*

Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5*

Titleist 910H 18*

Taylormade MC 3-PW

Nike SV 54*

Cleveland CG15 58*

Actually, I just played this particular course Sunday afternoon and everything was completely dry with no evidence of the spray whatsoever... until I looked at the underside of my versa putter that is haha.

My guess based off what everybody is saying would be that they're just messing something up along the way and thats whats doing this.

Like others said it's dye put in the sprayer so they can keep track of where the last pass was. Without it they would get uneven coverage of whatever they are spraying.

The dye is actually fairly expensive so many times we spray early in the morning when there is dew on the grass and keep track of the previous passes that way (to save a few bucks).

Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!