• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
islandersfan1

Should I buy a Three wood?

18 posts in this topic

Hi, I am on the high school golf team, and my home course is a VERY narrow course that has woods on every hole, and only has about three holes where I can play my driver and be comfortable.  When I don't hit my driver I usually hit my three hybrid, or an iron if a hole is that narrow (there is one fairway that is literally 5 yards).  The three hybrid goes about 190-200 for me, but I've read that a three wood's distance is about thirty yards shorter of a driver with more accuracy.. Really, the only thing I need work on is off the tee, because iron play and short game for me is good.  So, would it be beneficial to invest in a three wood? Thanks.

Awards and Achievements

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I think it would help you. It should will also be help full on 230 or so par 3 and par 5s second shot.they a are generally easier to hit than a driver. Good luck with your search. I would suggest you look to Callaway or ping G30. Either way get fitted by your PGA pro.

I've had a 3-wood in my bag for many years and I don't want to take it out anytime soon. The distance is not that far off the driver, but I'm usually a lot more accurate with it and use it on narrow fairways. I also like hitting it off the deck on reachable par fives or just when I need a long shot. Accuracy wise, I feel a lot more confident with it than with the driver.

Lower lofted hybrids are not that far off, but you miss some distance. You'll have to take a look at your current setup and see if you can fit a 3-wood in there.

How far do you hit your driver? For me, the 3-wood might go around 250 yards and the driver 280 yards.

If your hybrid at 200 yards is the second longest club, you might do well with a wood. Take a trip to a store and try hitting some, comparing the distance to your other clubs and see how it feels.

Awards and Achievements

Thanks for the responses. Ill take a trip down to a golf store tonight and see if i find one that i like

Awards and Achievements

Having a spoon in the bag is a must for every golfer IMO. Sometimes driver just doesn't go where we want it to and a three wood just gives you that confidence to hit a good length tee shot without the need to play a provisional!

Yes a 3 wood is nice to have in your bag... i wish I was more keen on when to use it more often, especially when I am struggling with my driver... i know I hit my 3 wood about 200 to 250, depending on how well I hit it.. and considering I don't always hit my driver well... i should be using my 3 wood, a lot more. .. just to be in the fair way, more consistently. ..

Try both 3W and 4W. At a past golf Demo Day, the Tour Edge rep (Exotics FW maker) was checking out people on FWs. Depending in part on how players came into the ball at impact, some players could hit a 4W farther - and more accurately - than a 3W. This included a couple of long hitters who carried their driver shots 270+.

(Recent golf tests show the average golfer can hit the 4W better than the 3W, but it also applies to certain better players.)

As @WildTurkey said, Go get fitted. The right loft/shaft combo will do it for you.

Hint on FW off the deck: A local pro suggested choking up a half inch for better control for shots off fairway. It works - when I'm in the fairway.

Awards and Achievements

I love my three wood! Very handy for my course where many of the fairways have water features and sand at about where my driver lands. So out comes the three wood which in all reality doesn't really lose me that much distance from my driver BUT more importantly for my handicap its a much more controllable club.

The three wood gives me options off the tee and also off the deck and to be honest I don't find it that much harder to hit off the deck to start with.

Regards

Mailman

Awards and Achievements

A 3-wood is a must-have club in every bag.......

Playing golf without a 3-wood is like not having a putter....well, almost!  LOL

you need the versatility of a good fairway metal (wood) either a 15 deg or up to 17 deg i probably use my 16 deg as much as driver off the tee.  If the course is tight a good placed fairway of the tee is better than 250 yard driver in the rough.

I have a 17* 4w that I absolutely love. For me it's much easier to hit off the ground than my old 15* 3w. I'm probably only sacrificing about 15-20 yards of distance going from my 3 to my 4 and I'd say on average I'm probably getting more distance since I'm hitting it solid more often.

Awards and Achievements

I've been trying to decide this myself. I currently go from driver to 2h at 18*. I've never had much luck with fw either from the deck or tee but it's been a long time since I've had one in the bag so it's possible that I would be better with one now. Just a bit hard to pull the trigger on another club purchase this late in the season.

Awards and Achievements

I've been trying to decide this myself. I currently go from driver to 2h at 18*. I've never had much luck with fw either from the deck or tee but it's been a long time since I've had one in the bag so it's possible that I would be better with one now. Just a bit hard to pull the trigger on another club purchase this late in the season.

Give the X2 Hot a try. I have 19* & 22* hybrids and the 17* 4w. I couldn't be happier. I haven't meet anyone who didn't like them once they hit a few balls with them.

Awards and Achievements

Unbeknown to a lot of people, there's actually a mathematical equation for determining exactly how many golf clubs you need to own in order to be fully prepared......

x = y+1

Where x equals the # of clubs needed and y equals the # of clubs that you currently own.

This can be especially helpful in explaining purchases to your wife.  After all, who can argue with math?! :smartass:

Awards and Achievements

Unbeknown to a lot of people, there's actually a mathematical equation for determining exactly how many golf clubs you need to own in order to be fully prepared...... x = y+1 Where x equals the # of clubs needed and y equals the # of clubs that you currently own. This can be especially helpful in explaining purchases to your wife.  After all, who can argue with math?!   :smartass:

I thought x was the number of clubs needed and y was the number of clubs permitted by the ROG.

Awards and Achievements

I thought x was the number of clubs needed and y was the number of clubs permitted by the ROG.

The ROG don't dictate how many you can own...... ;-)

Awards and Achievements

I carried a 3w as a backup when my driver went wonky.  But I dedicated time to it, and not so much an issue.  I went to a 4w as I felt it was better off the deck.  I've used the 4w for only a short time, but it outstanding.  The xhot2's are great.    I'd say it depends on your drive loft too.

I used to hate fairway woods until I got my Maltby KE4 ST-F with XCalibur shaft.  This FW just works for me.  Some days, I can't seem to hit it (my fault), but other days I absolutely kill it.  In a recent round, I was very inconsistent with Driver, so I started using my 3-Wood, and that was a good day with the 3W.  I don't normally use my FW for second shots unless I feel like the hole is very open just in case I don't hit it perfectly.  Regardless, this is easily the most comfortable I've felt with any fairway wood.  If you can find a fairway wood that makes you feel like that, then go for it I'd say.