IGNORED

Golf...cool or not???

BrownCoast
Note:Β This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Is golf cool?

• Yes
    • No

Starting this thread because it seems we got a bit off topic on a thread started by @RonTheSavage on Β Β . So with respect to @RonTheSavage and to everyone in that thread commenting about what it really was started for I start this thread.

I really like golfing, I love golfing with friends (find the game more enjoyable with buddies).

I'm not here to bash golf but do I think it is "cool" to be a golfer these days Not a tour pro but just a regular guy golfing. No, I think it is far from cool. Its bad fashion (which I love) mixed with a peaceful walk interrupted by a lot of bad four letter words.

in my :tmade:Β 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade:Β r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade:Β rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade:Β rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade:Β tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade:Β atv 54* 58*,

Putter:Β :odyssey:Β white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade:Β rocketballz urethane

Starting this thread because it seems we got a bit off topic on a thread started by Ron the savage on Dick's getting out of the golf business. So with respect to Ron the savage and to everyone in that thread commenting about what it really was started for I start this thread.

I really like golfing, I love golfing with friends (find the game more enjoyable with buddies)

I'm not here to bash golf but do I think it is "cool" to be a golfer these days Not a tour pro but just a regular guy golfing. No, I think it is far from cool. Its bad fashion (which I love) mixed with a peaceful walk interrupted by a lot of bad four letter words.

Nice idea for a thread. Β You should add a poll. Β You have 9 minutes to edit. Β Otherwise, I can do it if you would like.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't understand why golf wouldn't be "cool". I can understand being on the golf team or something like that. I don't see what's "uncool" about kicking it with some friends, having some beers, and hitting the links.

Riley

I think it's one of those things that's just polarizing by nature,people who like golf and "get it" will think golf is very, very cool; people who don't will think it's pretty dorky and I suspect there's not a ton of room for a middle ground. I have occasionally heard someone say something like, "golf? Yeah, it's alright" but I suspect those people are just being polite.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Nice idea for a thread. Β You should add a poll. Β You have 9 minutes to edit. Β Otherwise, I can do it if you would like.

Great idea! just added the poll

I think Tiger took it out of the "Country Club" feel and brought it down into the sports realm. In the USA sports are generalized as cool. Heck when you get Nike on board, you got something. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I think Tiger took it out of the "Country Club" feel and brought it down into the sports realm. In the USA sports are generalized as cool. Heck when you get Nike on board, you got something.

Totally agree, when Tiger showed up golf was the thing to do/try/play. 10 years later it started to fizzle out from the people that were willing to play this game that they never played before to something that they used to do. You're 100% right though, Tiger took golf out of the "country club" and brought it to the everyday people. I will say golf was cool back then. Everyone was talking about Tiger and everyone was talking about trying golf out. Almost everyone that tried it that I knew (me included) went out and bought clubs. New, used, cheap or expensive. I just started golfing again after many many years of 0-5 rounds per season.

In certain groups of people or areas, it might be, but generally, I don't consider golf to be cool. Maybe it becomes more so when people grow older, but in this hip old world, I don't think golf cuts it as particularly cool. Not that it bothers me, just my personal opinion based on my observations.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Cool and the perception of what we believe is cool changes so much in our life time. Β I think it is cool right now, but did not when I was a teenager. Β I was an idiot back then! :-O

But the reality is I don't care if someone else thinks it is cool or not. Β I like it and that is all that really matters.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

In certain groups of people or areas, it might be, but generally, I don't consider golf to be cool. Maybe it becomes more so when people grow older, but in this hip old world, I don't think golf cuts it as particularly cool. Not that it bothers me, just my personal opinion based on my observations.

I'm with you Zeph, in certain circles yes golf may still be considered cool but not to the general public. And NOT how it once was! When I was in high school (right when Tiger hit the scene pretty much) I can remember people from all different "clicks" talking about Tiger Woods.

Golf to my knowledge was never "cool" by every day standards, especially by younger generations.Β  I don't remember the golf or tennis team in H.S. or college being the chick magnet that football, baseball and lacrosse teams were.

In the business environment, golf gets "cooler" as one gets more involved with sales, marketing and management and has the opportunity to play in scrambles with customers and executives.Β  That said, I don't think golf has to be "cool", it has to be "enjoyable" enough to justify the time and financial investment it requires.

Joe Paradiso

I voted yes becasue I get it. I eat sleep and breathe golf. But my non golfing friends dont get it at all. To each his own.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Cool and the perception of what we believe is cool changes so much in our life time. Β I think it is cool right now, but did not when I was a teenager. Β I was an idiot back then!

But the reality is I don't care if someone else thinks it is cool or not. Β I like it and that is all that really matters.

Yes what we as individuals believe to be cool will always change. I however am on the opposite side of the fence from you. I thought golf was the "new cool" (not that golf was new) thing in the mid to late 90's and continued to be for years to come. Although I didn't play the game much I thought it was cool because of all the hype it was getting. Back then I was more into hockey, snowboarding, skateboarding and skim boarding and playing in a band. Now that i'm a bit older I took up golf again (thanks to one friend who finally got me hooked on it after years of trying with no success). But I find the hype has gone. I'm with you on; it doesn't matter to me if something is cool or not, if I want to do it I will. I don't need something to be socially acceptable in order to like it.

I do expect that more people will vote yes given we are in a golf forum. I just like reading the posts and seeing what people think. I don't think that positive or negative posts, "yes" or "no" votes will turn people off of a game that we all commonly enjoy, some love and some are just out right hard core about. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and votes and special thanks to boogielicious for coming up with the idea of adding the poll for people to vote on.

Jeez there is nothing more cool than striping one off on the first hole in front of the club beer garden with your brightest pair of trousers you own on!

Beatches be like....plaaaayaaaa!!1

LMAO!!! you had me at brightest pair of trousers! :beer:

Note:Β This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!