IGNORED

Striking it more solid out of the rough...

Note: This thread is 3480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My tee game doesn't put me in the fairway often enough.  But even with improvement there I figure I'll still be in the rough quite a bit (even pros only hit what...70-75% of fairways?).  But one of my biggest problems is I have major trouble recovering from the rough.  I seem to hit behind the ball and lose all clubhead speed in the grass before the ball gets hit.  I usually don't take a divot either.  I take a 6 iron out of the rough and often times might advance it 100 or so yards but that's about it.  I need to figure out how I can stop "advancing" it out of the rough and turn it into nothing more than a slightly more difficult approach shot.  Yesterday I was in the rough on an uphill par 5, do not remember the distance I had (somewhere maybe in the 140 range?).  I hit as solid a golf shot from the rough as I have ever hit with my 7 iron up to the green.  I could tell I caught all of the ball before touching anything else.  I want more of that!  Any drills, tips, advice?  Am I "sweeping" when it's in the rough... should I be attacking the ball like I would from the fairway?

Just in case anyone is wondering, on my good days I shoot right around 90... so no, I am not very good.  But I am not god awful either.  I'm a bogey golfer who can usually put together a good stretch of 5-6 holes during a given round of even par golf.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Do you have a hybrid or tried one?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you have a hybrid or tried one?

I have multiple as listed in my signature.  I've struck my 4 hybrid pretty good out of the rough, and perhaps I should consider a hybrid more often out of the rough, but I'm more talking about when I'm in iron range from the rough.  150 out in the rough a 4 hybrid does me no good, neither does my 5 hybrid which I alternate with my 5 iron depending on the course.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having the same issue with lies in the rough above my feet around 90 yards out. I've gone up 2 clubs and choked down and inch, but usually hit very fat and the ball gets out of the rough but not to the green.

I'm better out of rough on flat lies, and can usually get the 3 hybrid out to 170 or 180 yards. On one 'do-over' with the ball above my feet in rough I hit same club over the green, so it looks like my contact is more the issue.

What am I doing wrong on the ball above my feet lie? I feel like I'm trapped trying to swing around my body more due to the hill lie, but more steeply / upright due to the rough. Should I just take an aggressive pitch swing and go up 2 clubs.

Any good advice?

Kevin

What works for me...sometimes, and if I hit the ball well is to.

1..put the ball back of center in my stance, grab a 6i, 7i or whatever you can hit a certain distance. With a Steady head, and your weight forward some.

2...strike down with a steeper path than normal. In doing this, you should take a divot, and advance the ball fairly well. Distance will dictate which swing I use, i.e. a 1/2, 3/4 or almost full swing, and of course the lie, the deeper the rough, the more lofted club I use.

In fact, I practice these shots at the range, with my pw, 9i, 8i, 7i, 6i, 5i and my 3 hybrid.

• Upvote 1

2...strike down with a steeper path than normal. In doing this, you should take a divot, and advance the ball fairly well. Distance will dictate which swing I use, i.e. a 1/2, 3/4 or almost full swing, and of course the lie, the deeper the rough, the more lofted club I use.

DEFINITLY this^ I've gotten quite good at this recently, Need to hit down steeper on the ball, which will reduce the loft of the club but still get it up and out, the idea being you don't take as much grass before the ball, I don't think you can successfully "sweep" the ball out, I always aim an inch in front of the ball to promote a downward strike and make sure I take a full follow through! But I would never use anything longer than a 6i, I struggle with hybrids and long irons out of rough, so I try not to be too greedy and either play an iron that can get me where I want or play an that makes my next shot easy!

• Upvote 1

Gaz Lee

I just basically make sure that the club gets down to the ball so I don't hit it thin. It'll look/feel like you're really digging in at first, but with a little steeper angle of attack you don't catch much grass before the ball on an average lie.

The most straight normal shots for me come when I fade or slice the path if the ball is above my feet, and if the ball is below my feet, I try to draw or even hook. If its grossly low or high, I have to consider the face of the club, maybe clubbing up and choking down. It can be a creative moment.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

In thick rough I find that I'm better hitting with my irons than hybrids.  Maybe it's mental or my slower swing speed but I get much better results with irons.  I have also found that in the rough I really need to swing close to 100%, I sometimes would lay off a bit thinking it would give me better control but it didn't.

Joe Paradiso

I agree that irons are better, at least for me, I think I have an easier time hitting really down with irons and that's key in the deep rough, also I think I can generate more speed with the weight of an iron. I also agree not to get greedy with the loft, sure you may need to carry the ball about 200 yds but the rough will take that long iron and laugh at you, just accept a nice position to wedge in and pull the 7 IMO, maybe a 6.

Good tips and thoughts. Thanks.

I think I was sweeping and not hitting down on a steep enough path into the ball. Also not swinging 100%.

Do you feel more of an aggressive R arm / hand pop or hit into the ball (vs fairway swing) as you hit down & through?

Kevin

A common issue with the rough, at least for me, is grip pressure. Since one needs to hold the club firmly (so the rough doesn't close the club face too much), I tend to increase the grip pressure during the swing, which of course slows the club head down and leads to fat shots. When I keep a constant grip pressure but still relax my arms, the ball comes out pretty well.

Flipping can be a cause for trouble in the rough. With the ball sitting on a tee or fairway, you got space to throw the clubhead underneath the ball, but this doesn't work in the rough. Depending on the height, a flip that is present in your swing can make you struggle a lot hitting from the rough.

That you don't take divots is also telling that you have little downward movement through the ball.

My advice would be to look at the swing in general and see if there are issues that can be contributing to trouble in the rough, rather than looking to fix rough specific issues.

Trying to go steeper with a flipping motion or other issues can just lead to even more trouble. With a good swing path through the ball, the issues will fix themselves, which I would say is the ideal solution. You could start by filming your swing and see what's going on.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Used a slight upper body tilt (feel if not real) toward target to get steeper and an early wrist set with a slightly stronger R hand grip (normal grip is weak R hand). A bit more torso tilt over the ball too so a more upright plane - a bit of 'hit' at the bottom with the R arm / side. More like a punch than a full swing. Much better results. Cleaner contact with the ball, and even hit a green from the rough.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!