IGNORED

Where Would Golf Be...........

Patch
Note: This thread is 3512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How are you going to keep the game going if you never infuse new blood? Old people die, and there are younger people to replace them, they passions and hobbies die with them.

People (particularly women) often pick up the game later in life.  Nobody starts playing in a basketball league at age 55.  But the age of golfers doesn't worry me.  When I was a kid 30 years ago, I remember sports writers talking about baseball's imminent death, because of the ages of fans.  Here we are, a generation later, and MLB is the second richest sports league in the world, not all that far behind the NFL in revenues.

The problem private clubs are facing has less to do with golf and more to do with changing socializing patterns.  Couples used to go out for drinks at their club, dinner at their club, parties at the club.  Now, people tend to be more mobile, and socialize with broad groups.  Because of that, membership is less appealing.

Country club food (while improving significantly the past fifteen years) is still old school fine dining.  Foodies like myself don't want to eat that shit.  Herb roasted chicken breast and filet mignon.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

I've seen contraction in the Pittsburgh area.  Some clubs have gone semi-private, one closed entirely, etc.  Lowering fees to join and eliminating bond purchases.  This is just a natural reaction to market forces.  A regression to the mean.  Golf isn't going anywhere and all this hand-wringing over it's future is pointless.

And you're right about the equipment manufacturers fueling much of this.  As if it's the sport's job to keep their companies profitable.  Hey, cut costs and put out a better product like every other industry you goddamn clowns.

"Witty golf quote."

I have to rant. how do people try to say golf was for the rich and go on to say they played football? I think it was more a matter of choice? I spent as much or more on my sons jr football vs his golf. plus with football was much more travel. who knows all sports could be for the rich unless you are handed a meal ticket, or you are super talented? I know people that have mortgaged their houses just to have their child to become a tv dancer. it's what you invest your time on. ? as for tiger he is/was trained to play golf (his dad set it to him), I'm sure he's done as much as jack, Arnold, Norman, hmm wie she did something, for the game just at a different time, I would bet that Rory guy has a handful of fans

People (particularly women) often pick up the game later in life.  Nobody starts playing in a basketball league at age 55.  But the age of golfers doesn't worry me.  When I was a kid 30 years ago, I remember sports writers talking about baseball's imminent death, because of the ages of fans.  Here we are, a generation later, and MLB is the second richest sports league in the world, not all that far behind the NFL in revenues. The problem private clubs are facing has less to do with golf and more to do with changing socializing patterns.  Couples used to go out for drinks at their club, dinner at their club, parties at the club.  Now, people tend to be more mobile, and socialize with broad groups.  Because of that, membership is less appealing.   Country club food (while improving significantly the past fifteen years) is still old school fine dining.  Foodies like myself don't want to eat that shit.  Herb roasted chicken breast and filet mignon.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... I've seen contraction in the Pittsburgh area.  Some clubs have gone semi-private, one closed entirely, etc.  Lowering fees to join and eliminating bond purchases.  This is just a natural reaction to market forces.  A regression to the mean.  Golf isn't going anywhere and all this hand-wringing over it's future is pointless. And you're right about the equipment manufacturers fueling much of this.  As if it's the sport's job to keep their companies profitable.  Hey, cut costs and put out a better product like every other industry you goddamn clowns.

You are quite right about patterns at private club. Notably the food, at least around here in Pittsburgh. The food at my club is horrible. Unless it's a holiday brunch, I won't eat there anymore.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All I can say is that I've never met a person who says they got onto the game because of Tiger.  Even those who started playing during Tiger's prime did so because a friend or family member invited them to give it  a try, not because they got all excited about the game from watching pro golf on TV.

The idea that part of the game's trouble is related to all of us old baby boomers starting to die off is just another myth.  And I can assure that very few of us got into the game because of Tiger.  Most started playing long before anyone ever heard of him, and his troubles have nothing to do with any of us cutting back on our play.  Physical issues and fixed income are the big factors there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

We all know what Tiger Woods has done for the game of golf. Mostly positive, with some negatives thrown in there too. However, what if there had never been a Tiger Woods where would golf be right now?  How would some of the great players over the past 20 years impacted the game?

Great questions.

How would some of the great players over the past 20 years impacted the game? With players like Norman, Faldo, Watson, Kite, Langer, Couples, et al, I think the state of golf would be just fine.

However, what if there had never been a Tiger Woods where would golf be right now? Tough to predict. It's like saying, "What would the world be like if Barack Obama hadn't been elected President?"

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Tiger provided the prototype for the 21st Century pro golfer.

He leads the all-time pro money list, with total earnings north of $109 million. He finished #1 on the PGA money list in 10 of his 19 years on the pro tour. This includes streaks of four straight seasons 1999-2002, and three straight 2005-2007.

Tiger solidified the norm of the "golfer as athlete".

He broadened the appeal of golf, but few other African American golfers have followed him onto the PGA tour. Tiger's injuries and family problems, coinciding with the Recession, have blunted his continuing impact. But, "junior Tigers" such as Rory McIlroy, Bubba Watson and Ryan Palmer have picked up the slack with in-season streaks of their own.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

All I can say is that I've never met a person who says they got onto the game because of Tiger.  Even those who started playing during Tiger's prime did so because a friend or family member invited them to give it  a try, not because they got all excited about the game from watching pro golf on TV.

The idea that part of the game's trouble is related to all of us old baby boomers starting to die off is just another myth.  And I can assure that very few of us got into the game because of Tiger.  Most started playing long before anyone ever heard of him, and his troubles have nothing to do with any of us cutting back on our play.  Physical issues and fixed income are the big factors there.

I started watching golf because of Tiger and Phil.  Had I not started watching it, I would have never been interested enough to try to play it, no less commit the time and money I have into getting good at it.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know that it's been proven that Tiger was responsible for much of anything.

He may have just happened to come along at a time when golf was going to boom regardless. Minorities still don't play a lot more golf. I read a few articles a few years ago that talked about how, due to the boom in the economy and so on, golf would have boomed along with it whether Tiger had existed or not.

So golf might be exactly where it is now.

I'm inclined to go with this.

I think, that for the most part, Tiger came along at the right time. I think he added to the popularity of the sport, helped to grow it, and made it interesting, but he isn't THE reason for golf's boom. Had there been no Tiger, somebody else could have become the superstar of golf; how many of Tigers 14 majors would be Phil's instead or somebody else?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I have never been a fan of Tiger but I will give him credit. I believe he was a major factor in golfs popularity in the mid/late 90's. $250 million to play for nike, paid to play certain tournaments. Fans moving hazards for him! Yes I believe golf may have had a few others to step into his role however none that would have done it as well as Tiger. Just like Jordan in basketball or Gretzky in hockey. Yes there was greats before them and even after but what they did for the sport (just like Tiger) lasts for many many years after they are gone from the game.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

I don't know that it's been proven that Tiger was responsible for much of anything.

He may have just happened to come along at a time when golf was going to boom regardless. Minorities still don't play a lot more golf. I read a few articles a few years ago that talked about how, due to the boom in the economy and so on, golf would have boomed along with it whether Tiger had existed or not.

So golf might be exactly where it is now.

I suppose if you don't count Asians as a minority, then that's probably true.

In So. Cal. there is a boom of Asian parents putting their kids into all sorts of golf programs. Thousands of kids are taking lessons at just three courses. I am guessing it's because of many kids getting scholarships to nice Universities, and even helps them get their foot into the door to these "Ivy League" schools. Most parents I talk to also feel that it is not a stressful sport, and would not interfere with their studies. :whistle:

So, I think there will be a revised boom in another decade or less when more of these kids grow up and start playing casually with friends. Plus, the economy is due for another up cycle in that time frame.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
I suppose if you don't count Asians as a minority, then that's probably true.

The topic is where would golf be because of Tiger. Tiger's popularity has not been very high since about 2009 or so, and so attributing a small uptick in Asian participation in the past few years to Tiger Woods is a non-starter.

In So. Cal. there is a boom of Asian parents putting their kids into all sorts of golf programs. Thousands of kids are taking lessons at just three courses. I am guessing it's because of many kids getting scholarships to nice Universities, and even helps them get their foot into the door to these "Ivy League" schools. Most parents I talk to also feel that it is not a stressful sport, and would not interfere with their studies.

You seem to be guilty, fairly frequently, of applying something happening locally and assuming it's similar across the country. They're more likely only relevant to your market. Erie doesn't have a lot of Asian individuals, but those that we do have don't appear to be playing more or less golf than they did before. Same is true of other minorities. They're probably playing less, because many of the minorities we have are in the lower-middle class or thereabouts and the depressed economy has affected them a little more than others.

But again, @Lihu , the topic is how it relates to Tiger…

However, what if there had never been a Tiger Woods. Where would golf be right now?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The topic is where would golf be because of Tiger. Tiger's popularity has not been very high since about 2009 or so, and so attributing a small uptick in Asian participation in the past few years to Tiger Woods is a non-starter. You seem to be guilty, fairly frequently, of applying something happening locally and assuming it's similar across the country. They're more likely only relevant to your market. Erie doesn't have a lot of Asian individuals, but those that we do have don't appear to be playing more or less golf than they did before. Same is true of other minorities. They're probably playing less, because many of the minorities we have are in the lower-middle class or thereabouts and the depressed economy has affected them a little more than others. But again, @Lihu , the topic is how it relates to Tiger…

I didn't apply it to the rest of the country, but I would say that a large percentage of golfers in the country are down here. Tiger is half Asian, and many Asians started golfing because of him. Like other minorities, Asians thought of golf as non-minority friendly prior to Tiger. He really broke a lot of barriers. If Tiger weren't in the scene, golfers like Phil and Ernie would have been the dominant golfers of the time. To be honest, not many minorities relate to them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
I didn't apply it to the rest of the country, but I would say that a large percentage of golfers in the country are down here.

You and I may have different definitions of "large percentage." I'd guess, what, 2-3% of golfers are in Southern California?

Tiger is half Asian, and many Asians started golfing because of him.

Is that just what you think? Or do you have solid evidence/proof of it?

Everything I've read says there are not a lot more black people playing golf now than in 1995, and though Tiger IS half Thai, he's seen as "black" more than anything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You and I may have different definitions of "large percentage." I'd guess, what, 2-3% of golfers are in Southern California?

Is that just what you think? Or do you have solid evidence/proof of it?

Everything I've read says there are not a lot more black people playing golf now than in 1995, and though Tiger IS half Thai, he's seen as "black" more than anything.

I have to agree with Erik here, I've never heard anyone mention that Tiger is half Asian / Thai.  Just as Barack Obama is deemed the first black President even though he's only half black.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!