IGNORED

Walking Out Short Shots

Layton
Note: This thread is 3525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering how many of you guys walk out your shots around the green - meaning counting the number of steps from your ball to the hole and/or the spot where you want to land it.

I started doing it this season and it really helps a lot with consistency and confidence around the green. I've grooved myself into knowing pretty much how hard I need to hit it for X amount of steps and because of it my short game has never been better.

Anybody else do this or something similar?

Taylormade R1 9*

Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5*

Titleist 910H 18*

Taylormade MC 3-PW

Nike SV 54*

Cleveland CG15 58*

Taylormade Ghost TM880 Custom

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I'm close enough where a lasered yard doesn't really mean much (inside 40 or so), I'll walk up towards the hole, but I'm not counting paces. Just looking to find a landing spot and judge the slope near the hole. But that makes sense. I've gotten much better at half wedges since I got a laser rangefinder. Before, I had no idea if I was 40 or 70 yards away.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

If I'm close enough where a lasered yard doesn't really mean much (inside 40 or so), I'll walk up towards the hole, but I'm not counting paces. Just looking to find a landing spot and judge the slope near the hole. But that makes sense. I've gotten much better at half wedges since I got a laser rangefinder. Before, I had no idea if I was 40 or 70 yards away.

Pretty much this, and yep, I'll use a rangefinder for anything 40 yards or more....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I was wondering how many of you guys walk out your shots around the green - meaning counting the number of steps from your ball to the hole and/or the spot where you want to land it.  I started doing it this season and it really helps a lot with consistency and confidence around the green. I've grooved myself into knowing pretty much how hard I need to hit it for X amount of steps and because of it my short game has never been better. Anybody else do this or something similar?

I do this all the time. Especially on chip shots. I'll pace off to where I'm planning on landing and then pace off the roll from there. The ratio of fly-roll will dictate which club I chip with, then I'll judge slope and possible modify the club choice if I think the slope will play a significant role. I also use this as an opportunity to get a read on break during the roll portion. I do it less when it's a pitch shot because I'm usually trying to limit roll on those and just get it close, but I will do it if I think I have a chance of it rolling in. I only do it if I'm close enough to have a reasonable chance of holing it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't but if it helps there's nothing wrong with doing it. I just see the shot and shoot what I'm seeing. Like shooting a jump shot it's all down to feel at that point for me.

I don't but if it helps there's nothing wrong with doing it. I just see the shot and shoot what I'm seeing. Like shooting a jump shot it's all down to feel at that point for me.

Do you primarily use one club for everything around the green or do you vary club selection based in what you "see"? I ask because I agree about the "shooting what you see" aspect but personally find it helpful to know the precise ratio I'm seeing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't but if it helps there's nothing wrong with doing it. .

As long as you do so quickly.... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

As long as you do so quickly.... ;-)

Oh, I'm pretty snappy with it, as I am with Aimpoint green reading. I don't agonize over it, I just walk directly to the flag and back. Done. I pretty much know what club I'm using already so this is really just to firm it up in my mind so I can commit to the shot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I ask because I agree about the "shooting what you see" aspect but personally find it helpful to know the precise ratio I'm seeing.

I probably use a SW about 75% of the time around the green and a PW 24% of the time. I'm liable to use anything the other 1%.

I definitely don't take very long. I'm the last person that would hold anybody up during a round. @David in FL Also, I don't have a rangefinder but the only problem I would have with using it is that I like to see the slope of the green and figure out where I'm landing it and account for the roll out etc. If I miss a green and need to save par I'm giving myself the shortest putt I can.

Taylormade R1 9*

Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5*

Titleist 910H 18*

Taylormade MC 3-PW

Nike SV 54*

Cleveland CG15 58*

Taylormade Ghost TM880 Custom

I do it on the short chips most of the time for club selection. I'm not worried about any extra time it might take, which is usually about a minute or so. On longer shots, for the most part, I've seen enough of them them to judge the distance pretty well. I might step off a longer one if the shot is really important.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I just do it mentally just like putting. I am counting paces in my head. With a chip/pitch shot withon 20 yards or so I walk to the edge of the green in between my ball and the hole and estimate paces to my ball and to my landing spot. Probably could walk it off in the same time but I don't want to eliminate the feel from that part of the game completely.

James

I walk off chips when I'm practicing. I've done that enough so I don't have to do it on the course. I chip mainly with a 9 iron and fly it 1/3 to the hole. I'll use a more lofted club when the iron won't land on the green. I'll use an 8 iron for longer chips which flies about 1/4 to the hole. I spend my time on the green looking for the break. Plus I say do anything you want as long as it doesn't hold up play.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Nope ... Mainly because it's just too much work ... Within 40ish yards it's all look and feel for me.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I walk off chips when I'm practicing. I've done that enough so I don't have to do it on the course. I chip mainly with a 9 iron and fly it 1/3 to the hole. I'll use a more lofted club when the iron won't land on the green. I'll use an 8 iron for longer chips which flies about 1/4 to the hole. I spend my time on the green looking for the break.

Plus I say do anything you want as long as it doesn't hold up play.

Sounds like we have the exact same approach to chipping. Rule of 12?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Sounds like we have the exact same approach to chipping. Rule of 12?

Yep. Works like a charm. I've gotten pretty good at judging 1/3. I pick the spot and try to hit a little past it to make sure I swing through. Chipping is the best part of my game.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Yep. Works like a charm. I've gotten pretty good at judging 1/3. I pick the spot and try to hit a little past it to make sure I swing through. Chipping is the best part of my game.

yeah, Rule of 12 works very well for me too. Pretty much always go for an 8 iron 4:1 ratio or a 9 iron 3:1 but have been know to go as low as my wedges if I don't have any green to work with. I  generally prefer to pitch but there's usually a few shots per round that call for a chip. I use @mvmac 's for all chipping, if I'm faced with a shot that doesn't feel right for this method, I'm going with a pitch.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I always look for the chip first (steady wrists and brush the grass). If that's not the best shot, then I pitch because there is more variability for me in a hinged wrist shot. Since I was only carrying 13 clubs for a while, I've picked up a 68* LW that really works nice for those tight shots.

Note: This thread is 3525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!