IGNORED

Tiger Fires Sean Foley

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today's morning criticism of Foley -- not much hip turn for Tiger,

Just read the news. Damn. Somewhere Chamblee is laughing so hard he is farting holes through his underwear.

Or blowing snot bubbles... :-$

Let's see, what have we heard so far in the media about Foley's foibles with Tiger...

lack of hip turn

lack of losing flex in back leg

too much head dip on backswing

too much shaft lean

too much lag retention...

Other than that, Tiger's good.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today's morning criticism of Foley -- not much hip turn for Tiger,

Or blowing snot bubbles...

Let's see, what have we heard so far in the media about Foley's foibles with Tiger...

lack of hip turn

lack of losing flex in back leg

too much head dip on backswing

too much shaft lean

too much lag retention...

Other than that, Tiger's good.

Boy, they're insufferable.

Vishal S.

I'll be interested to see what happens just because I've no idea who he will pick now. Hopefully whatever he does works for him and allows him to continue to compete at a top level.

Also, does anyone think it may have been a slight dig at Tiger when Foley said that (paraphrasing) working with Tiger was "one of the highlights of my career." Shouldn't he have said "the highlight?" I know one could argue that Rose winning the US Open was the ultimate highlight, but you'd think getting to work with Tiger exclusively would be tops. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here haha.

I thought the quote that Woods didn't listen to everything he said, whether that's recent or not, dunno, stood out to me. Plus Rose's quote that between the lines indicating something similar.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'll be interested to see what happens just because I've no idea who he will pick now. Hopefully whatever he does works for him and allows him to continue to compete at a top level.

Personally, I got the biggest chuckle out of the suggestion of Bagger Vance.

Has some element of truth in it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Also, does anyone think it may have been a slight dig at Tiger when Foley said that (paraphrasing) working with Tiger was "one of the highlights of my career." Shouldn't he have said "the highlight?" I know one could argue that Rose winning the US Open was the ultimate highlight, but you'd think getting to work with Tiger exclusively would be tops. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here haha.

I thought the quote that Woods didn't listen to everything he said, whether that's recent or not, dunno, stood out to me. Plus Rose's quote that between the lines indicating something similar.

True. Although, I think I recall from Haney's book, Haney said that Tiger often dismissed his advice as well.

I read some Rose comments but don't know the reference to "between the lines." Sorry if that's somewhere on this thread... I read thru it though and don't remember seeing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzel

Personally, I got the biggest chuckle out of the suggestion of Bagger Vance.

Has some element of truth in it.

Breaking news: @Shorty fires @Mr. Desmond :-P

Constantine

I think Foley addressed that in an interview.  His explanation was that Tiger came to him as a 14 major winner and one of the best golfers in the history of the game so he wasn't coaching Tiger as much as helping Tiger see things he might not see on his own.  Some of the other pro's Foley is coaching and the younger kids haven't had much success and he could more directly attribute his influence over them as part of the reason for their success which is why he considers them a highlight.

Foley sort of was in a no win position coaching Tiger, I wonder if he regrets it.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I think Foley addressed that in an interview.  His explanation was that Tiger came to him as a 14 major winner and one of the best golfers in the history of the game so he wasn't coaching Tiger as much as helping Tiger see things he might not see on his own.  Some of the other pro's Foley is coaching and the younger kids haven't had much success and he could more directly attribute his influence over them as part of the reason for their success which is why he considers them a highlight.

Foley sort of was in a no win position coaching Tiger, I wonder if he regrets it.

Was the interview on that Canadian TV show? I think I saw that one. Remember him saying that a while back, thanks for jogging my memory.

I doubt he regrets it though. He has a monthly spot in Golf Digest, is a known name in the golfing world now, and I'm sure "his brand" jumped up 10000% after Tiger took him on as an instructor. Despite all the negative press, I'm sure it's all worth it to him.

Constantine

True. Although, I think I recall from Haney's book, Haney said that Tiger often dismissed his advice as well. I read some Rose comments but don't know the reference to "between the lines." Sorry if that's somewhere on this thread... I read thru it though and don't remember seeing it.  Breaking news: @Shorty fires @Mr. Desmond :-P

Here's the Rose quote. Said 2013 U.S. Open champion Justin Rose, another Foley student: "I think with Tiger, they’ve had to work around a lot of things. It’s probably very frustrating for Tiger and it’s probably very frustrating for Sean. . . . There are definitely moves that Sean is trying to get out of there that are compromising his health.”

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Considering he retooled Tiger's entire swing to a center pivot, I do not believe Sean takes sufficient credit.

Some are saying the lack of hip turn caused Tiger's lower back issue.

From reading, I believe many people believe Sean relied on or misused Trackman to assist Tiger.

Lots of factors out there ... a filter is needed as well as more detail.

I think Foley addressed that in an interview.  His explanation was that Tiger came to him as a 14 major winner and one of the best golfers in the history of the game so he wasn't coaching Tiger as much as helping Tiger see things he might not see on his own.  Some of the other pro's Foley is coaching and the younger kids haven't had much success and he could more directly attribute his influence over them as part of the reason for their success which is why he considers them a highlight.  Foley sort of was in a no win position coaching Tiger, I wonder if he regrets it.

I wondered the same thing myself until I remembered purchasing his BluRay/DVD Combo. Im sure he sold a few extra copies just from being Tiger's guy. I forgot how much I spent on it, but that easily could've been an app or a series of Youtube Vids.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I wondered the same thing myself until I remembered purchasing his BluRay/DVD Combo. Im sure he sold a few extra copies just from being Tiger's guy. I forgot how much I spent on it, but that easily could've been an app or a series of Youtube Vids.

There's no question Foley and Haney gained credibility with other tour pro's and increased popularity when Tiger selected them as his coach.   Though if I remember correctly, Foley and Haney were already being recognized as top instructors (#1-#5) by Golf Digest even before Tiger selected them.

Joe Paradiso

Considering he retooled Tiger's entire swing to a center pivot, I do not believe Sean takes sufficient credit.

Some are saying the lack of hip turn caused Tiger's lower back issue.

From reading, I believe many people believe Sean relied on or misused Trackman to assist Tiger.

Lots of factors out there ... a filter is needed as well as more detail.

I'm not sure how to interpret Sean taking sufficient credit.  I feel he's been pretty consistent in not taking credit during Tigers good times and bad.  Foley stated what I wrote when Tiger was #1 last year and won 5 tournaments, so in fairness to him, I don't know that it's fair to slam him this year when he deflected the credit last year.

Foley is very vocal about his use of Trackman and he seems to know how to use it properly with his other students so is Tiger the outlier or is Tiger fighting some of the changes Foley is suggesting just as Tiger did with Haney.

Joe Paradiso

It amazes me that no one has mentioned Jimmy Ballard as a possible swing coach !! Maybe they should ask Rocco Mediate who to go to..he went to Jimmy Ballard afer he blew out his back and VOILA.. his career was stellar and almost BEAT Tiger at the US Open !!!

It amazes me that no one has mentioned Jimmy Ballard as a possible swing coach !! Maybe they should ask Rocco Mediate who to go to..he went to Jimmy Ballard afer he blew out his back and VOILA.. his career was stellar and almost BEAT Tiger at the US Open !!!

Tiger would need to add 50 pounds and a pot belly to have Rocco's swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm not sure how to interpret Sean taking sufficient credit.  I feel he's been pretty consistent in not taking credit during Tigers good times and bad.  Foley stated what I wrote when Tiger was #1 last year and won 5 tournaments, so in fairness to him, I don't know that it's fair to slam him this year when he deflected the credit last year.

Foley is very vocal about his use of Trackman and he seems to know how to use it properly with his other students so is Tiger the outlier or is Tiger fighting some of the changes Foley is suggesting just as Tiger did with Haney.

Only a few people know... of course, it could be Tiger ... let's look at Sean's star pupils... present and former.

Here is Justin Rose...

Here is Hunter

Tiger -- notice dragging handle deep into swing.. good, bad, for Tiger? I have no idea.

From our vids at TST, we typically see some release at the right thigh and then continuing...

Only a few people know... of course, it could be Tiger ... let's look at Sean's star pupils... present and former.  Here is Justin Rose... Here is Hunter Tiger -- notice dragging handle deep into swing.. good, bad, for Tiger? I have no idea. From our vids at TST, we typically see some release at the right thigh and then continuing...

Interesting. Foley doesn't believe in hitting up on the driver I guess? Both Justin and Hunter seem to have the ball teed back in their stance too much. Also that Tiger video appears to be shot from an off angle.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That angle on Tiger isn't the best. And even placed where it is Tiger isn't hitting down all that much.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!