IGNORED

HOOK! NEED HELP ASAP!

Im15
Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm also going thru bouts of hooking as well.

This has works for me:

1) snap hooks. go find a side ways stance with ball above feet and snap away just aim left and  gradually change the grade so ball is level to feet. I usually am able to smooth out my tempo so my hands dont turn as quickly.

2) duck hooks. usually cause from being off balance and swinging too much down on my woods. this hasnt happen to me for a while as I like to hit up now.

3) pull/sweeping  hooks- coming too much from the inside. usually happens with my driver or 3 wood. this happens to me from time to time. I try to go slow and wide on my back swing and make more of an oval radius . sometimes this means compensating by address the driver more at the toe .

A lot of hooks just come from hitting it more towards the toe.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a 6 handicap. I hit a baby draw with my short irons and often in the center of the club face. My swing is on plane but my issue is that I roll my wrists. Golf is all about timing recently. If I'm hitting it good the roll is after the ball. If I hit it bad the it's during the ball and a snap hook. I played terrible yesterday and shot a 41. I need help!!!! Advice please.

I focus on making a better turn, feeling my back to target and then finishing toward target. When I start hooking, its almost always because I don't turn enough and then my arms outrace my hips on DS causing pull or hook. A good feel for me is to match the length of my backswing with my follow through.

Hit some slices until they slice. Then go back to your old swing thoughts

Wouldn't all the slices slice? ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Funny, how we're all different. This is exactly opposite of what causes hooks for me with woods. When I try to pick the ball clean or swing slightly up - my right wrist turns over too much & I hit the most brutal snap hooks I've ever seen. Consistently & predictably. The ONLY way I've been able to establish a nice straight ball flight with woods is to hit down on the ball.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I've was fighting duck hooks recently with the driver.

FOR ME... I was casting the club too early and flipping my wrists.

I now have a nice tempo and my swing thought is to throw the butt of the handle to my target.  It creates more lag and keeps me from flipping the face shut.  I get a lot more distance with easy swings too.

Try it.

Oddly enough, the idea of hitting slice and them not slicing makes perfect sense to me. I spent 15 minutes on the range today trying to hit a slice with my driver and failing miserably. It would fade maybe 5 yards which, while good, is not what I need for the 9th hole of a tournament course I'm playing tomorrow. I need a big fat slice, so it took some effort.

Oddly enough, the idea of hitting slice and them not slicing makes perfect sense to me. I spent 15 minutes on the range today trying to hit a slice with my driver and failing miserably. It would fade maybe 5 yards which, while good, is not what I need for the 9th hole of a tournament course I'm playing tomorrow. I need a big fat slice, so it took some effort.

Typically not a big fan of this type of "fix". Reason I don't like it is because you're not addressing the actual problem, what's causing you to hook it. Just trying to hit a slice is a band aid at best.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Typically not a big fan of this type of "fix". Reason I don't like it is because you're not addressing the actual problem, what's causing you to hook it. Just trying to hit a slice is a band aid at best.

I'm just trying to hit a slice for one specific hole (#9 Olde Course at Loveland, a huge dogleg right) that I will play in a tournament tomorrow. I am perfectly fine hitting my 15-20 yard draw every other time because it's dependable and consistent for me. Even on tight courses you usually have at least that much room to work with, but courses that tight usually aren't long enough to worry about needing to hit a driver every hole either.

In my case the slice was the goal, not fixing a hook, so that I am prepared for one specific hole. The big draw is the shot I like to play on every other tee shot that I hit since I know I can do it every time.

A tip that I have used when I start hooking my 3w and driver that works is addressing the ball an inch away from my body When I'm hooking one reason the ball is too close to my body. By addressing ball a bit further away This creates a wider radius and I still get a draw pattern but not a hook

Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!