IGNORED

Apple's Awesome Thread (was 9/9 Event Thread)

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Will be doing a clean install of Yosemite on a newly installed SSD hybrid on MBP as have been regularly getting the something went wrong rebooting grey screen of death recently. Made a TM backup. Also backed up super important files to another HD. Will clean install from a USB drive and recover from TM backup. Diving in later tonight. Hope all goes well. @jamo - you did this right? How'd it go?

I've done that a few times. The only other thing I'd recommend is, if you have another spare hard drive, making a carbon copy just to be ultra safe.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[quote name="nevets88" url="/t/76887/apples-awesome-thread-was-9-9-event-thread/150_30#post_1180798"]Will be doing a clean install of Yosemite on a newly installed SSD hybrid on MBP as have been regularly getting the something went wrong rebooting grey screen of death recently. Made a TM backup. Also backed up super important files to another HD. Will clean install from a USB drive and recover from TM backup. Diving in later tonight. Hope all goes well. @jamo - you did this right? How'd it go?

I've done that a few times. The only other thing I'd recommend is, if you have another spare hard drive, making a carbon copy just to be ultra safe.[/quote] Thanks. I'm out of hard drives to clone to, I got my most important data to other drives though. Ran the installer from USB, got Yosemite installer corrupted message. Instead of downloading the installer again, too lazy, I decided to try and put back in the original memory since I upgraded, heard other people did this. Looks like that did trick as it has advanced further past using the flash drive. Crossing fingers. Edit: Woohoo, success. Machine's a little faster. Hopefully, no more gray screen of death.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On a mobile and didn't feel like editing all of that quotation but I speak my gripes as a developer first, consumer second. Also, how could anyone possibly disagree on processing power? There is absolutely no question that for the money, you get less tflops with an Apple product. In reference to your "everyone has gotten used to it" defense of Apples navigational UI, I suppose you'd use the same argument to defend QWERTY over DVORAK? Next, about the app store, in reference to the customers, "they're the ones paying the money".... Again obviously you've never developed an app because with Apple, the developer pays to list their app, even if it's free. So with Apple the developer pays to give his/her creation away for free while apple refuses to refund their 30% back to the developer if they decide to issue a refund to customers. That means, Apple can choose to refund customers for your app AND keep the 30% of gross sales even though that will force the developer to come out of pocket. So, yes, it doesn't surprise me that you prefer Apples "the consumer is always right and screw the developers making all this possible" ideology because in this day and age people have come to expect programmers to do their job for free. Not many of us are outspoken so it's not surprising you aren't familiar with any of this. I mean, you do use a Huddler forum system so I see where that comes from.. -_- Lastly, "Apple products can run an OS made years after the hardware was released." The general rule of thumb with iPhone is they can be upgraded twice. Like the iPhone 4 was limited to iOS 6 etc (I think 4 was allowed to go to 7, but it's about the same as a 2008 MacBook running Yosemite - about as fast as a Miata with a fat guy driving). I guess you're unaware the same thing can be done on Windows/Android systems with similar performance fallbacks. Okay I'm done pooping now, but there's plenty more flawed logic to examine in your defense the next time the Throne calls my name. :)

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

On a mobile and didn't feel like editing all of that quotation but I speak my gripes as a developer first, consumer second.

Also, how could anyone possibly disagree on processing power? There is absolutely no question that for the money, you get less tflops with an Apple product.

In reference to your "everyone has gotten used to it" defense of Apples navigational UI, I suppose you'd use the same argument to defend QWERTY over DVORAK?

Next, about the app store, in reference to the customers, "they're the ones paying the money".... Again obviously you've never developed an app because with Apple, the developer pays to list their app, even if it's free. So with Apple the developer pays to give his/her creation away for free while apple refuses to refund their 30% back to the developer if they decide to issue a refund to customers. That means, Apple can choose to refund customers for your app AND keep the 30% of gross sales even though that will force the developer to come out of pocket. So, yes, it doesn't surprise me that you prefer Apples "the consumer is always right and screw the developers making all this possible" ideology because in this day and age people have come to expect programmers to do their job for free. Not many of us are outspoken so it's not surprising you aren't familiar with any of this.

I mean, you do use a Huddler forum system so I see where that comes from.. -_-

Lastly, "Apple products can run an OS made years after the hardware was released." The general rule of thumb with iPhone is they can be upgraded twice. Like the iPhone 4 was limited to iOS 6 etc (I think 4 was allowed to go to 7, but it's about the same as a 2008 MacBook running Yosemite - about as fast as a Miata with a fat guy driving).

I guess you're unaware the same thing can be done on Windows/Android systems with similar performance fallbacks.

Okay I'm done pooping now, but there's plenty more flawed logic to examine in your defense the next time the Throne calls my name. :)

My 2009 MBP runs Yosemite quite smoothly and I recently swapped memory from 8GB to 2GB. It's faster than some cureent Windows i5/i7 laptops I've used. Once I put back in the 8GB, should be a tad faster.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
On a mobile and didn't feel like editing all of that quotation but I speak my gripes as a developer first, consumer second.

I'm a developer too, Dan.

Also, how could anyone possibly disagree on processing power? There is absolutely no question that for the money, you get less tflops with an Apple product.

It's also a completely different architecture than what's used in other phones, so you're not comparing (pardon the worn-out pun) apples to apples at all. I asked you for specifics, and you come back with this. Okay.

In reference to your "everyone has gotten used to it" defense of Apples navigational UI, I suppose you'd use the same argument to defend QWERTY over DVORAK?

That was not my defense of Apple's UI. Their UI has historically been superior to Android, or Windows, etc.

Next, about the app store, in reference to the customers, "they're the ones paying the money".... Again obviously you've never developed an app because with Apple, the developer pays to list their app, even if it's free.

I've won Apple Design awards, Dan. I've developed applications for every. I'm aware of what the costs are, and the fact of the matter is you can release applications for the $99 yearly "Apple Developer Account" cost, which gets you free developer tools, etc.

That means, Apple can choose to refund customers for your app AND keep the 30% of gross sales even though that will force the developer to come out of pocket.

This is not really a problem. Friends with a LOT of Apple/iOS developers, and this has NEVER been an issue at all. It's not even a matter of "there are bigger fish to fry" - it's literally basically never been a problem anyone has ever mentioned to me.

I realize too, now, that you're not really at all interested in discussing actual things, or responding to my response, and instead you're just on another mini rant or something, but… just a tip: know your audience. C'mon, man, I've been a software developer for a loooooooong time.

So, yes, it doesn't surprise me that you prefer Apples "the consumer is always right and screw the developers making all this possible" ideology because in this day and age people have come to expect programmers to do their job for free.

You really don't seem to know who I am in terms of the context of this discussion, Dan. I've had an Apple Developer account since the 1990s . That and $5 might get me a coffee from Starbucks - I'm not saying it to brag - just to point out that you seem to be making some bizarre assumptions. I've been an Apple Developer for a loooooooong time. You're not talking to "a consumer." You're talking to a guy who has made money selling software for Apple hardware for a long, long time.

Not many of us are outspoken so it's not surprising you aren't familiar with any of this.

:doh:

I mean, you do use a Huddler forum system so I see where that comes from.. -_-

:doh::doh: Don't behave like an idiot, Dan. And…

Lastly, "Apple products can run an OS made years after the hardware was released." The general rule of thumb with iPhone is they can be upgraded twice. Like the iPhone 4 was limited to iOS 6 etc (I think 4 was allowed to go to 7, but it's about the same as a 2008 MacBook running Yosemite - about as fast as a Miata with a fat guy driving).

iOS 9 will support the iPhone 4S. That phone was released about four years ago, which means when iOS 10 is released, the iPhone 4S will have been capable of running the latest software for at least about 4.5 to 5 years.

Furthermore, the iPhone 4 was allowed to run iOS 6 as you've said, which means it could run iOS 4, 5, 6, and 7. That's four years or so of software updates.

My kid's using a MacBook (not Pro) from quite awhile ago and it works beautifully. Runs 10.10.4 too. Android devices often don't even offer support for the very next major OS software release, let alone FOUR OR FIVE YEARS of them.

Developers of iOS apps, btw, don't particularly like how long Apple keeps extending support for older hardware. If you had a legit beef here, it's the ONE thing you DID NOT say: that app developers WISH Apple would cut off support after two years. It'd let them stop supporting older hardware that can't do quite as much as quickly as they'd like to do (or which doesn't have TouchID, or whatever). THAT was the real complaint and you completely missed it. Supporting older hardware (and some of the little tricks developers will play, like "requiring" certain hardware elements "necessary" for your application) was your real angle, and you totally missed it. Instead you fabricated this "planned obsolescence" thing which is quite literally false.

I guess you're unaware the same thing can be done on Windows/Android systems with similar performance fallbacks.

It's not generally done, though, is it Dan? Android OS updates often don't support six-month-old devices on day one (sometimes they never add support for them), let alone 5 years back.

C'mon, Dan. Know your audience.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

I'm imagining that new MLB app for the new Apple TV, but for golf. Drooling.

Steve

There were lots of very cool things announced at the event, but I think the TV stole the show. I was thinking of going to the bathroom during that portion but I am glad I didn't. They have done a decent job integrating games, TV, paid TV like Netflix, really a nice job.

Michael

Keynote was odd. A stylus? My bad. Pencil. An attachment keyboard? Microsoft and Adobe presenting? A presenting Apple exec changing shirts? Side by side Office apps running on a tablet. Apple Watch straps. Straps. Straps. Rose Gold! A strap on the ATV remote. I'm glad I opted to just read the live blog post event. It's like DVRing a regular PGA event. This keynote felt like the odd bad Windows release, setting up things for more interesting things later not that Apple hasn't been very busy based on the sheer number of new products and software. Mossberg had some choice comments on the Verge live blog. Who knew he could be so abrasively entertaining? That SLR camera there? It's a piece of sh*t now. Ha ha. I wanna see someone take photos with the iPad Pro because that won't look weird at all. It is aptly named though. I can see a lot of artistic, scientific and business uses for it. Make it display all white and turn the brightness to max and you have an expensive klieg light or something you can use in a studio, lol. A third party better come up w/a solution to prevent losing the $100 pencil.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody getting a new iPhone?  I've pre-ordered a 68 gig black 6s from AT&T;, renewing my 2 year contract.  I wasn't sure whether to renew or do AT&T; Next or Apple's installment plan.  Or I could have just bought the phone outright.  But since I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan, I thought I'd stick to what I've been doing.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Anybody getting a new iPhone?  I've pre-ordered a 68 gig black 6s from AT&T;, renewing my 2 year contract.  I wasn't sure whether to renew or do AT&T; Next or Apple's installment plan.  Or I could have just bought the phone outright.  But since I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan, I thought I'd stick to what I've been doing.

A very special 68 gig iPhone, haha I was debating the switch to Next and getting a mobile share value plan because of free tethering for the iPad but then they raised the cap to 22GB on my unlimited plan from 5GB so I'm holding onto that plan for dear life now.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator

A very special 68 gig iPhone, haha

I was debating the switch to Next and getting a mobile share value plan because of free tethering for the iPad but then they raised the cap to 22GB on my unlimited plan from 5GB so I'm holding onto that plan for dear life now.

22GB is a pretty good ceiling!

I just bought the phone outright. Makes it easier to re-sell later as it can easily be unlocked.

AT&T; Next is a weird program. They just end up charging you… the cost of the phone. Like a 0% interest loan. I thought they'd make at least a few bucks. Or maybe they will change that up later?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Charlie Rose w/Steve Jobs director and lead actor:

89% on the Tomatometer so far

Edited by nevets88

Steve

What The Flick on Steve Jobs:

Steve

• Administrator

I've heard from enough people who I trust - and I feel I know Steve pretty well for having only met him seven or eight times and spent less than an hour talking with him - that the movie is a really shallow caricature, and the fact that it's based on a teeny part of the pretty lame Isaacson biography makes this unsurprising.

That's disappointing, but oh well.

I've heard from enough people who I trust - and I feel I know Steve pretty well for having only met him seven or eight times and spent less than an hour talking with him - that the movie is a really shallow caricature, and the fact that it's based on a teeny part of the pretty lame Isaacson biography makes this unsurprising.

That's disappointing, but oh well.

That's too bad. I think HW looks for controversy in biopic films unfortunately.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I know its highly inaccurate and most people will take it for truth, which sucks, but this has been the movie industry's MO since, forever, not to justify it. Zuckerberg is nothing like how he's portrayed in The Social Network, but it was a good watch, I'll basically be watching this movie for the dialog and it's Sorkin.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

New ATV review.

Steve

• Administrator

I ordered mine the other day. My wife is going to hook up our old one in her classroom, so… fine.

We don't use many apps (Hulu, etc.). But who knows…

Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!