IGNORED

Do you warm up?

Flav
Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I play at courses that do not have a driving range and if so I tend to go to the local range before heading to the course. I have often wondered why the majority go from car to clubhouse to tee box and skip any kind of warm up. They are the same ones who will take batting practice or throw the ball around before the game or shoot around before a basketball game. Maybe I'm just in the minority here.

Uh, no, I'm afraid not. But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?
  • Upvote 1

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Uh, no, I'm afraid not. But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?

I am quite sure that I am not the only person completely baffled by this post. Explain thyself @Grndslmhttr3 . To respond to the OP and get back on topic, I don't really do much warm up and never the range. The range puts me in think Golf Swing mode and that's the last place I want my brain when I'm golfing, I want to be in target mode. My only real warm up will be pitches and chips at the practice green and a few putts to get the stimp. Never more than 10 minutes or so. If I'm waiting on the first tee I'll do a few 1/4 swing punches that travel about 40' just to get my weight shift happening correctly and make sure I have my feels down. That's it.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If I play at courses that do not have a driving range and if so I tend to go to the local range before heading to the course. I have often wondered why the majority go from car to clubhouse to tee box and skip any kind of warm up. They are the same ones who will take batting practice or throw the ball around before the game or shoot around before a basketball game. Maybe I'm just in the minority here.

I'm too lazy to go somewhere else to warm up prior to a round - usually.  (I did it for a tournament at a course that didn't have a range once)

I'll never go from car to teebox without some type of warmup though.  At the very least, some putting and a few warm up swings.

BTW, welcome to the site! :beer:

And, count me amongst those who have no idea what @Grndslmhttr3 was saying either. :-P

• Upvote 1

Put your hands behind your head,.. And step away from the pipe!

• Upvote 1

Gaz Lee

I'm baffled by that post as well.

Please, let me advise you all, as a massage therapist, that you should warm up in some way before playing golf. You should have some kind of stretching routine before any physical activity. I know this from failing to take my own advice. The first time I went to a golf course, I went to the range and hit two buckets of balls. Two. Too many. No stretching or warming up of any kind, just started whacking away. I was sore everywhere you can be sore, and that was just stupid.

Look at all the muscles you use playing golf.

• Upvote 1

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

No clue about that first response either. I was amazed to see the difference, even as slight as it is, in play with or without warming up. It's usually 3-5 strokes difference on the first four holes but that could be the difference between 90's or 80's for me.

Usually. Sometimes I'll skip the warm up though, especially in the summer when I don't have any desire to stand on the range for any length of time; I'd rather just jump in the cart and go.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

If I can manage to show up at the right place in a timely fashion, I warm up with a small bucket on the range and then some chipping and putting. I figure 30 minutes total is about right. More than that and I can get carried away with swing-thought stuff. Less and I can't hit a ball or make a putt for the first five holes.

I have one buddy that will eschew the whole warm up thing and this has been a rather unfortunate thing for me when I ride to the course with him.

I always warm up somehow. I always putt and chip to find the speed and feel of the greens. I like to split a small bucket before hand also. If I don't have time to hit balls, I have some foam balls in my bag that I will make some full swings with. They go under 100 feet. Years ago I used to show up at first light as a single and get out before the heat. I've had to wait as long as 2 hours (typically more like one hour). I used to get a lot of putting and chipping in. That's how you improve.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Depends on the day. In the afternoon after work, I'll make practice swings with two irons on the tee box, a couple practice driver swings, and off I go. On Saturday mornings with the boys, I'll play down and back #9 with a 50 degree wedge (No one is on it since we're first or second out), hit some pitches, putt for a little, and drive a shag ball into the woods.

I Have to warm up. At 66 and a bad back, it's a necessity. I do stretches and hit at least a small bucket of balls, even then it takes a few holes to get totally in the groove.

• Upvote 1

Yes and no for me.  If I get to the course early enough and the course has a driving range... I'll usually hit a bag.  I don't like to hit more than 20 at the most.  I usually start with a wedge and take nice easy swings until I start feeling loose then I'll hit a couple long irons, couple 3 woods, couple drivers and then I go through my 1st tee routine and hit whatever club I plan to use on the first tee.

Sometimes though I play so early in the morning I don't like to get up early enough to get to the course, lol.  and the one course I play sometimes the course driving range is a mile away and you can't just hit a warmup bucket, they only have a small bucket which is like 75-80 balls.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I recently stopped warming up on the range and just stretch some.  What I have found is that when on the range swing mechanics start entering my head and if I see some bad shots it follows me to the course.  Just hit one shank on the range and your round is doomed.  Going to the first tee without any thoughts on a bad shot on the range allows you to focus completely on that hole and what you want to do.  I may spend 10 minutes putting but even now I have almost stopped doing that and I have been playing MUCH better.  Just an easier and more comfortable feeling walking on that first tee box and green.

That all said, everyone is different but I got this idea seeing several guys I play dogfights with who do not even look at the range, rarely ever practice there, and go out and shoot in the 70's.  They do play more during the week so this is not for everyone but so far it seems to be working for me.

Yes. For many years, I didn't. But now I do. Makes a big difference.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!