IGNORED

Do you warm up?

Flav
Note: This thread is 3315 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use Coach Noss' version.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=142272365846852&set;=vb.123108631091605&type;=2&theater;

My particular makeup requires a pretty good warm up to prevent injury.  One of my golfing partners is a two swing and good to go guy.  Takes me a bit longer to get cranked up.

I have a regular partner who is a very good player (around 2 index) and never warms up. Right out of the parking lot to the tee and he always screws up the first few holes as he gets loose. I keep telling him he would be scratch if he hit balls before.

He DOES go to the range before tournaments or team matches and it shows.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a regular partner who is a very good player (around 2 index) and never warms up. Right out of the parking lot to the tee and he always screws up the first few holes as he gets loose. I keep telling him he would be scratch if he hit balls before.

He DOES go to the range before tournaments or team matches and it shows.

That bold part is my fear when I try and play without warming up.  Just for peace of mind, I try to avoid that. :)

I've gone to a driving range at one course before going to play at a range-less course. I really hate not warming up with a bucket first before playing. I've done it once or twice and it wasn't bad, but it was during a stretch where I played basically daily so my swing was in a good place. I usually feel like the first 5 balls or so of the bucket I'm learning how to play golf all over again most days haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I've gone to a driving range at one course before going to play at a range-less course. I really hate not warming up with a bucket first before playing. I've done it once or twice and it wasn't bad, but it was during a stretch where I played basically daily so my swing was in a good place. I usually feel like the first 5 balls or so of the bucket I'm learning how to play golf all over again most days haha.

I've done this too. Whenever I play Van Cortlandt Park in the city (oldest public course. No range. VERY crappy putting green), I end up going to Mosholu to warm up. What courses in LI are you referring to?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I've done this too. Whenever I play Van Cortlandt Park in the city (oldest public course. No range. VERY crappy putting green), I end up going to Mosholu to warm up. What courses in LI are you referring to?

Northport at the VA and Gull Haven lack ranges so I'll usually pop over to Sunken Meadow because it's a great range. I would've played Brentwood by now but I was always needing to find somewhere to warm up and just winding up saying, "Screw it, I'll just go play somewhere else"

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I NEVER get to the course in time to go to the range or take a few putts.     Have to work on it this year - important to warm up some on the putting green if nothing else.    As for actual warming up ... I have about a 30 second stretching routine I go through on the tee box before hitting any balls - never hit without doing that.    I never give it a full swing on the first hole anyways - always try to just lay one out there nice and easy & get off to a good start.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

"I have a regular partner who is a very good player (around 2 index) and never warms up. Right out of the parking lot to the tee and he always screws up the first few holes as he gets loose. I keep telling him he would be scratch if he hit balls before. He DOES go to the range before tournaments or team matches and it shows." [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/76888/do-you-warm-up/60#post_1117171"]That bold part is my fear when I try and play without warming up.  Just for peace of mind, I try to avoid that. :) [/quote] This is very true. There's zero chance I play my best doing a couple stretches and not warming up on the range. Again, it's an anomaly to see good players just stretch and go to the first tee. But if you just enjoy teeing it up and really don't care about scoring or play mulligans, I see do that often. Again usually high handicappers that just enjoy the game. Nothing wrong with that either. I think proper warmup prior to a round is important, I liken it to those who insist they play better golf never practicing. If you have the means, but don't.. to me it comes down to those people thinking that way either: they're not practicing the right things so they think it's ineffective, they mistake warm up for work on swing, they just dont care about scoring, or they don't feel like doing it.

One course I play has no range and likes to rush you onto the course as soon as they have your money. Then they start you off with a par-5.

Maybe it's mental as much as anything, but that first drive rarely ever goes well. It's as if it takes me a few holes to remember how to swing the golf club properly. That's something even a few balls on the range usually deals with.

I really should. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

One course I play has no range and likes to rush you onto the course as soon as they have your money. Then they start you off with a par-5.

One design feature with older courses (that I don't see consistently on newer designs) was that the first hole was generally a par 5, relatively short/open. A built in way to warm up with a reasonable par opportunity.

By the time the tougher holes came around you were warmed up enough without hitting range balls.

Too bad "modern" course design has lost some of the common sense that older course designs had. Maybe because golf strategy is often the secondary priority to fitting the course into the housing development in a way to max the lot count.

Most folks nowadays (including my current golf buddies) don't want to show up an hour ahead of time to warm up.

No fun having a forced carry on the first hole without hitting any balls first :-)

Steve

I've never really done it regularly, the range is for days when I can't play, and the few times I have hit the range before I've kind of overdid a little and started to get tired on the course, so I've generally avoided it, but this year I plan to change and start ranging a little before a round, because without it really does take a couple of holes to warm up and I want to avoid that, it'll be a light warmup for sure though.

One design feature with older courses (that I don't see consistently on newer designs) was that the first hole was generally a par 5, relatively short/open. A built in way to warm up with a reasonable par opportunity.

By the time the tougher holes came around you were warmed up enough without hitting range balls.

Too bad "modern" course design has lost some of the common sense that older course designs had. Maybe because golf strategy is often the secondary priority to fitting the course into the housing development in a way to max the lot count.

Most folks nowadays (including my current golf buddies) don't want to show up an hour ahead of time to warm up.

No fun having a forced carry on the first hole without hitting any balls first

Interesting. This particular course is on the older side. Miami Shores Golf Course, Troy, OH. Opened in 1949 and said to be one of the last courses that Donald Ross worked on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres9

These responses, which seems like 90%... That only "stretch" before playing their game and don't believe in a warm up on the range etc.... is interesting.

Not all clubs have a range.

For many that do, the range isn't close to the first tee.

A lot of players don't want to hit off mats if that's the only option.

Given the opportunity, I think most players would love to hit 50 balls or so.

Problem is, the opportunity isn't there for everybody.

I just don't like hitting balls on the range, period.  I've never found any benefit for me from doing that to warm up before a round.  If the course has a short game practice area I'll do some chips and pitches for 10 or 15 minutes, then the putting green and the off to the first tee.  And I do a little stretching.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres9

These responses, which seems like 90%... That only "stretch" before playing their game and don't believe in a warm up on the range etc.... is interesting.

Not all clubs have a range.

For many that do, the range isn't close to the first tee.

A lot of players don't want to hit off mats if that's the only option.

Given the opportunity, I think most players would love to hit 50 balls or so.

Problem is, the opportunity isn't there for everybody.

I just don't like hitting balls on the range, period.  I've never found any benefit for me from doing that to warm up before a round.  If the course has a short game practice area I'll do some chips and pitches for 10 or 15 minutes, then the putting green and the off to the first tee.  And I do a little stretching.

I think it depends upon your swing. More athletic swings require more warmup.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I prefer to warm up on the range (grass or mats) especially if I haven't practiced in a few days.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3315 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!