IGNORED

Just shot 100 for the 1st time

baw1
Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just sharing as I am quite excited to have had my best round of golf. I started playing a year ago. Around ~60 rounds so far. Yesterday I shot 100, my best score so far.

1-par, 9-bogeys, 5-doubles, 3-triples.

6/15 Fairways

1-GIR

4-sand shots

34-putts

No penalties

Front-53, back-47

My goal for the season was to break 100. Getting very close as my typical round over the last couple months has been in low 100’s.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man that is great! For me breaking 100 it was keeping penalties out ... And looks like you did that. Congrats!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Man that is great! For me breaking 100 it was keeping penalties out ... And looks like you did that.

Congrats!

Thanks. I realized after the round that I had no penalties (and no lost balls). However, I do think you can recover from penalties as long as you have 1-2 better than average holes to make up for the penalty holes..For where I am at right now I am just trying to continue to improve my mechanics/execution/accuracy across the driver/wood/irons as well as with the chipping/putting. Score should come down once I am 'better' across the different phases of the game. I think it is really that simple..

Congrats... keep at it and you'll keep improving.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Breaking 100 feels great and now that you're right there if I can offer one bit of advise for the next round, Don't try to get to the 18th hole before you finish the first. Don't put the pressure of breaking 100 on yourself. Just focus on your shot and continue to play with a strategy. Good luck and keep us posted!

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

Breaking 100 feels great and now that you're right there if I can offer one bit of advise for the next round, Don't try to get to the 18th hole before you finish the first. Don't put the pressure of breaking 100 on yourself. Just focus on your shot and continue to play with a strategy. Good luck and keep us posted!

Appreciate the advice! One hole at a time.

I am far from a good golfer, the only lessons I ever took were back when I was like maybe 15 or 16 years old and I remember very little and I wasn't even breaking 130 back then lol.  I now shoot right around 90 on my good days.  So congrats man like someone else said... you will keep getting better.  Next year you might be looking a breaking 90 and THAT is a great feeling, I've accomplished that 4 times in the last 2 years.

I started reading Lowest Score Wins and haven't gotten through much of it yet... but i am convinced it will help change the way I think on the course.  Because my last round, I carefully looked at my stats after the round... I didn't make any worse than bogey when I was either on the green or close to it in regulation.  The holes I made worse than bogey on were holes where I hit a poor tee shot (slice, hook, top, pop fly etc...) and put myself in a position where it took 2-3 strokes just to recover.  If you don't have the book... get it!

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Chris223, Thanks for the feedback and the book recommendation. I have heard of it. You need to get to the green first before you need to worry about chipping/putting. On the other hand, if you get to the green in regulation (or close to it) and mess up a chip or 3,4 putt, then the outcome is the same as far as score (I think). My guess would be that depending on skill/experience level, long/mid/short game importance shifts as it pertains to score.

Congrats dude. I'm around the same level as you and am curious where you are losing your shots. No penalties and 34 putts for our level is pretty darn good. Are you having some mishits or purposely playing conservative to eliminate OOB? I'm not trying to be critical but am wondering because I just recently broke 100 (98) and what helped me break through was trusting my driver and having the luxury of being on a pretty open course. If it is mishits, then that will definitely work itself out. Again, not being critical, just wondering because if I hit "only" 34 putts and get no penalties I'm probably breaking 100. However, the no penalties never happens.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Congrats, achieving that in a year is pretty good, took me almost two.

Thanks. I do spend a lot of time either playing or at the practice range/green. Initially I took some lessons as well with 2 different instructors. I am not working with anybody though right now as I want to just play and get some reps under my belt. At some point I think you have to just do it. Not saying that I wouldn't get more instruction at some point, but for now I have what I need and the rest needs to happen naturally over time (IMO).

Congrats dude. I'm around the same level as you and am curious where you are losing your shots. No penalties and 34 putts for our level is pretty darn good. Are you having some mishits or purposely playing conservative to eliminate OOB? I'm not trying to be critical but am wondering because I just recently broke 100 (98) and what helped me break through was trusting my driver and having the luxury of being on a pretty open course. If it is mishits, then that will definitely work itself out. Again, not being critical, just wondering because if I hit "only" 34 putts and get no penalties I'm probably breaking 100. However, the no penalties never happens.

Thanks PJCdude. Good to hear from others that are around the same level.

As far as the penalties, I don’t think that is the sole criteria. Sure, if you have too many it will cost you, but in general if you are hitting decent drives (straight or left/right of fairway) and decent approach shots (without too many mishits) then you can recover from the penalties.

As far as the putting, mid-30s is typical for me. Just to be clear, I am not counting putts that I make off the 1 st cut of the green or beyond. The count only includes all putts once I am on the green. I lump everything else into the count measuring “strokes to the green”.

So I played again today and shot 106. 35 putts. 1 penalty. I got off to a very bad start. Triple bogey on opening par-4 hole followed by a 10 on the par-5 2 nd hole (lots of mishits). Then I had my penalty on the drive for the par-4 3 rd hole (hit it out of bounds) leading to another triple bogey on the 3 rd . It was as though I forgot how to hit a golf ball with my shots spraying all over the place. After that I settled down though and started to play better. Front-9 was 56. Back-9 was 50.

I've had similar rounds. Recently the shanks have been killing me. Shot a 52 but was on pace for my best 9 hole score till I got two 8s in a row. Went to the range after and was killing it. This game is so mental.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Congrats on a new personal best!   I don't remember many of my mile-mark rounds, but I do remember the first time I broke 100.   You are so close......you can do it!  Nice progress!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Recently the shanks have been killing me.

Same here. I'll have a really good session on the range with very few mishits/shanks..Then I get on the course and cant hit. I seem to struggle more on 1st hole or two (as a general rule). Perhaps it is just nerves/tension that needs to be shaken off or maybe inadequate warmup. I try not to over do the warmups though as then I am just fatigued before even stepping foot on the course..

Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!