IGNORED

Damn you Golf

webb1522
Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing for a year as well. I have had 2 birdies to date. Celebrated the 1st one quite a bit. They were on a par-4 and a par-5. As others have said though, Birdies are for advanced level..If you just started playing though and have only played 4 times, I would say you are in very good shape so far.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for all the advice guys. I look forward to learning and sharing experiences on this forum. Going to focus on eliminating the really bad shots and the overthinking. Just play and have fun.

If you've come to golf for instant gratification then you came to the wrong sport.

For me, golf is and has been about time and patience. The less time you put in the less you can expect from your play. The less patient you are, the less you will play. While that may be similar to many, if not all sports, golf is different than most. It is  you against the game. Once you feel as if you conquered it, she humbles you. Once you feel you are dialed in, she hangs up on you. Once you feel trust in a shot, she double crosses you. But once you feel deflated, ground down, peppered, beat up, tired and hopeless, she picks you up, dusts you off and draws you back for more.

• Upvote 1

I made my first birdie pretty quick - lucked out and made a long putt on a par 3.     It's closing in on 4 years and still haven't made an eagle yet ... haven't even had a sniff at one under 10 ft  !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Any tips on how to make bogeys feel good for those of us shooting over 100?

You just gotta forget about the big picture of scoring under than 100, and come up with lesser goals that are realistic. My wife, who has never broken 100, has some unique strategies when golfing:

* When she started playing golf, her goal was to make a score that had a name:  double bogie, bogie, par, birdie, etc. Snowmen didn't count. :-P

• Now her goal is to break her age for nine holes. :dance:

• Another goal is to finish 9 holes without any three putts. :surrender:

Just remember, enjoy the journey and don't worry about the destination.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I wouldn't worry much about the lack of birdies if you are new. It will happen but chances are until you get to certain skill level when it does luck will play a part. It is only recently I have come to expect a few here and there. My guess is my stats are similar to other golfers playing in the 5-9 range. Pars and bogeys make up the majority of my scoring average by a wide margin. My birdie average is pretty close to my double average, hovers in the 8-10% range.
  • Upvote 1

Dave :-)

• 9 months later...
Very short par 4. Bad shot off the tee, popped it up big time. Smoked my 6 iron to within 13 ft, buddy knocked in his par, lined my putt up, left to break, sunk it. Felt like I won the Masters lol. Best round of golf I have ever played. Sorry for the lack of boxes just had to make that 1st O On a side note, went to the range twice this week and really focused on Keys #1 and #2 from the 5SK thread. Really felt like I improved with just those two days of practice. Can't wait for my next round. Next goal is to shoot in the 80s

Any tips on how to make bogeys feel good for those of us shooting over 100? Even knowing if I bogeyed all holes I'd shoot my lowest round ever I still feel let down not making par. Which makes no sense because I am lucky to make 2 or 3 pars a round currently. Last time I played I tried thinking that par on every hole was +1 (so pars 4, 5, 6) but gave up after a few holes. I might try taking a sharpie to black out the par line on the score card and writing in the new par on a blank line and see if that helps.

(Old thread, but....)

Yeah, here's how to make those bogeys feel good....if you shoot all bogeys, you won't be shooting over 100 anymore - you'll be shooting right around 90! ;-) Trying the "hero shots" for pars and birdies will blow your score up a lot faster than those bogeys will, especially when you know that you can only pull off the hero shots 2 or 3 times out of 10 at the most.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

(Old thread, but....) Yeah, here's how to make those bogeys feel good....if you shoot all bogeys, you won't be shooting over 100 anymore - you'll be shooting right around 90! ;-)   Trying the "hero shots" for pars and birdies will blow your score up a lot faster than those bogeys will, especially when you know that you can only pull off the hero shots 2 or 3 times out of 10 at the most.

Something I've definitely taken from this forum. Where I'm at skill wise bogeys are not bad at all. Try to eliminate all doubles and higher. Doesn't mean to stop there though. I showed myself today I can definitely play par golf, have to focus and keep up the practice.

Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!