IGNORED

Reclined airline seats debate

ditchparrot19
Note: This thread is 3492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you recline your seat on an airplane?

• Yes
    • No

Give us a break. Many people have back issues and need to recline. You're a jerk declaring a discussion is over per your views. The airlines install them, people use them. Simple.

You're a big guy? probably fat and over weight so we can't recline and up upset you're fat a**

Unbelievable !

Childish. I'm not fat. You I could handle with ease. I fly first class because I spent years in school to earn the money to do it. It's my opinion and I haven't read anything convincing me reducing another persons limited space is an ok thing to do. You assumed I'm fat, I'll just assume you're a low income uneducated plug. Fair enough?

Haha I love it...these guys are getting real fiery about airplane seats. Jimmies have officially been rustled. :-P

In any case, the problem isn't really the kids, it's the parents who don't know how to discipline their kids.

I agree to a certain extent.. But when the kids are 2 or 3 there is very little the parents can do in terms of discipline in my opinion!

Sometimes kids will be kids and no parent can wave a wand and have them behave every time.

OTOH, there isn't always "little" parents can do at that age.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that bothers me about the parents of unruly kids on airplanes is when they are not paying attention or even attempting to get them to behave.

Lastly, for the non-parents out there:  If there is an "unruly" baby crying hysterically at landing ... rest assured that he's not just being a jerk, he's in pain because of his ears.  If the parent couldn't get him to eat or drink something as the descent started, there is probably nothing they'll be able to do until landing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sometimes kids will be kids and no parent can wave a wand and have them behave every time.

OTOH, there isn't always "little" parents can do at that age.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that bothers me about the parents of unruly kids on airplanes is when they are not paying attention or even attempting to get them to behave.

Lastly, for the non-parents out there:  If there is an "unruly" baby crying hysterically at landing ... rest assured that he's not just being a jerk, he's in pain because of his ears.  If the parent couldn't get him to eat or drink something as the descent started, there is probably nothing they'll be able to do until landing.

I fully endorse a normal dosage of benadryl for kids before they get on a plane.  They will sleep like angels the entire flight.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

What was that, like 30-plus years ago? I didn't do a lot of flying back then and if I did, I would've been all for the ban. Most people who smoked back then are dead.

Hey now...You're making me old...

International flights had them until something like 2000.

I recall a flight to Tokyo, the guy next to me (business class even) was violently allergic.  Smoke made him physically ill - it was really obvious how badly he was affected.

there were about 3 guys that would come to back of business and light up throughout the whole flight.  they didn't give a crap about this guy (or about 4 others of us that told them to go smoke in their area.  He asked them to stop, he sat there with a blanket over his head.  they stood there about 2 feet from him, smoking and chatting, chatting and smoking.  Eventually, the staff moved him elsewhere.

2 of the 3 guys were big guys, I suspect today they think tilting a seat is bad manners

maybe we go back to the 50's and 60's - it was good manners to molest the flight attendants and smoke

Bill - 

Hey now...You're making me old... International flights had them until something like 2000. I recall a flight to Tokyo, the guy next to me (business class even) was violently allergic.  Smoke made him physically ill - it was really obvious how badly he was affected. there were about 3 guys that would come to back of business and light up throughout the whole flight.  they didn't give a crap about this guy (or about 4 others of us that told them to go smoke in their area.  He asked them to stop, he sat there with a blanket over his head.  they stood there about 2 feet from him, smoking and chatting, chatting and smoking.  Eventually, the staff moved him elsewhere. 2 of the 3 guys were big guys, I suspect today they think tilting a seat is bad manners maybe we go back to the 50's and 60's - it was good manners to molest the flight attendants and smoke

Boy, I remember smoking on planes. I'd be right in the middle of it, filling that tiny ashtray on every trip. Everyone would have cigs in their mouth, lighters in hand, itching for that smoking lamp to come on. And then the place would be just smoky as hell the rest of the flight. Never bothered me a lick, either. Quit almost 20 yrs now, can barely imagine having to endure that now.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

What about the asshat that says stuff like-'I'll make certain that I "inadvertently" drive my knee with a considerable amount of force into the back of the seat at least a couple of times during the flight while changing positions or getting up to use the restroom. "Accidents" do happen, after all.'???[quote name="ditchparrot19" url="/t/76919/reclined-airline-seats-debate/90#post_1050919"] I suspect that those a**hats are part of the seat-tilting crowd. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

What about the asshat that says stuff like-'I'll make certain that I "inadvertently" drive my knee with a considerable amount of force into the back of the seat at least a couple of times during the flight while changing positions or getting up to use the restroom. "Accidents" do happen, after all.'???

Yeah, there's that type, too.

John

I suspect that those a**hats are part of the seat-tilting crowd.

I suspect they tilt their own seat and get mad at the guy in front of them doing the same.

Bill - 

I suspect that those a**hats are part of the seat-tilting crowd.

Well, not me! I hate smoking, but I am part of that crowd you mentioned..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I understand the "I paid for my seat and my seat reclines so I'm going to recline" argument.

But as another tall guy, I look at as, "I paid for my seat, the small space in front of it and the tray attached to the seat in front of me.  When someone reclines, they take all of that away from me.  I can't use my tray, I have to hold my book 3 inches in front of my eyes, and I can't get up to relieve myself."  In other words, when you recline you actually gain space by taking it from the person behind you.

Needless to say, I don't recline.  Whether the flight is 45 minutes or 5 hours, I am uncomfortable from start to finish.  Reclining does not help me.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I guess I'll make a trade.

To anyone concerned - I'll stop reclining for a minor bit of comfort for you.  In return, when you are sitting next to me, I'd like you to pull your arms and elbows in over your legs and keep them off of the armrests (for that matter, from pushing over into my seat space) we are sharing.

Clearly using an arm rest is incredibly discourteous and intrusive - fat and sweat, etc.  I know the airline provided you half an arm rest but seriously, just for the comfort of those on either side of you since you can't seem to only use one half (plus a courteous extra space to keep from touching).

this is about the most equivalent argument I can make.

(I wonder how many of those that want to ban reclining were outraged that they couldn't smoke when the airlines cut that ban in - rightly so - put it in perspective - smoking was the worst of all - makes being upset about a slightly tilted seat seem like a petty little thing)

actually - I wouldn't care to recline if the seat wasn't shaped to push the skull forward two inches - the neck isn't built to have a couple right angles forced into it

Seriously, what the heck kind of masochistic torturer wannabe designed this thing?  Are they completely angry with humanity?

My guess is some marketing guru told the engineers to design it so that there can be a video monitor behind every seat, so they can keep up with the competition. All two aircraft companies need to compete over something, I guess. :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here's the solution - since airlines have removed every amenity they used to have and several of them have re-introduced them with fees, why not:

Put some sort of locking device on the seats and allow passengers to buy the recline feature for, let's say, $2.  Then, notify the person behind them that they wish to recline and offer them the option to buy back the locking feature for, say, $4.

If it gets to that point, then just turn it into an auction and the highest bidder wins ... as does the airline!!! :-P

My guess is some marketing guru told the engineers to design it so that there can be a video monitor behind every seat, so they can keep up with the competition. All two aircraft companies need to compete over something, I guess.

the design justification is reduction in Whiplash.

still sucks

Bill - 

I understand the "I paid for my seat and my seat reclines so I'm going to recline" argument.

But as another tall guy, I look at as, "I paid for my seat, the small space in front of it and the tray attached to the seat in front of me.  When someone reclines, they take all of that away from me.  I can't use my tray, I have to hold my book 3 inches in front of my eyes, and I can't get up to relieve myself."  In other words, when you recline you actually gain space by taking it from the person behind you.

Needless to say, I don't recline.  Whether the flight is 45 minutes or 5 hours, I am uncomfortable from start to finish.  Reclining does not help me.

Not true ... you can get up to go to the bathroom but now you are going to have to use the back of their seat for balance as you manuever your way out of the row.  If the movement on their seat bothers them, or even wakes them up, well ... oops. :-P

Here's the solution - since airlines have removed every amenity they used to have and several of them have re-introduced them with fees, why not:

Put some sort of locking device on the seats and allow passengers to buy the recline feature for, let's say, $2.  Then, notify the person behind them that they wish to recline and offer them the option to buy back the locking feature for, say, $4.

If it gets to that point, then just turn it into an auction and the highest bidder wins ... as does the airline!!!

28 posts since this morning, when I last read this topic. This must me a hot point.

I think the "premium economy" seats cost about $29 to $59 more for domestic flights and you can get premium economy for overseas flights (>10 hours) for about 20% more. I sat in one and there was at least 4" knee room to spare, so unless someone had legs that are 8" longer than mine (which would make them almost 6'9" tall without adding any torso height) I would say it's pretty comfortable for anyone but the 0.01%.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not true ... you can get up to go to the bathroom but now you are going to have to use the back of their seat for balance as you manuever your way out of the row.  If the movement on their seat bothers them, or even wakes them up, well ... oops.

That is true.  And to be honest, I try very hard to avoid passive aggression in my life.  I try to be up front and accept confrontation when it needs to be dealt with.  However... when someone reclines into my lap and I need to take care of business, I may be a bit more unsteady and require more support from the seat in front of me than normal. O:)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 3492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!