IGNORED

Golf Digest Editorial: 36 Most Common Mistakes in Golf

billchao
Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2014-09/36-most-common-mistakes-in-golf

Quote:

We don't love the term "mistakes" here. It sounds kind of pompous and preachy, like we're going to rap you on the knuckles or start slapping behinds if we get you to admit to any of these little gaffes. That's not our intent at all (even if you're into that kind of thing). We're well aware of our own shortcomings—in fact, they were the catalyst for and provider of much of the content that follows. Think of our advice as coming from a good friend, a caring golf partner or the guy you tortured last Saturday by taking three practice swings before every damn shot.

Our so-called mistakes are not limited to swing or playing faults. In fact, the bulk of them fall into the social and emotional realms, like hitting on the beverage-cart girl or thinking everybody wants to hear the blow-by-blow of the 98 you just fired. Our tips are mostly common sense, which golf sometimes has a funny way of taking away from us. So open your mind, and let's go.

Some good stuff, some I don't agree with, and generally written with good wit. FWIW, I am (or periodically have been) guilty of about eight of these.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like this one :-D

6. GOING FOR THE FLAG

It's a free country: You can fire at that pin set three paces from the edge of a pond if you like. But when you're weary of writing Xs on your scorecard, you'll learn there's no shame in aiming for the middle of the green. As Ken Venturi used to say: "Take your par, and walk away quietly."

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ones i disagree with: 1.TALKING TO ANOTHER GUY'S BALL Everyone knows that what other people say has absolutely zero affect on your golf ball, correct? 3. WEARING BLACK SOCKS WITH KHAKIS I'm not a fashion expert, but I've never understood this one. If you're wearing ankle socks, I actually think black can look better than white socks. 21. STILL USING A 3-WOOD Wahhhht? (I thought I was gonna disagree with more of them. It's a better article than I thought it would be.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

19. GIVING THE BLOW-BY-BLOW OF YOUR LATEST ROUND

There comes a point in the post-game press conference when the tour player is invited to go through his round. Then it starts, in a life-extinguishing monologue: "On the first, I had 187 to the pin, downwind, so I took the 9 and... " If it's really boring when the pros do it, imagine how boring it is when you do it.

@saevel25 , this ones for both of us :beer:

If y'all don't want to know, don't read my swing thread :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3. WEARING BLACK SOCKS WITH KHAKIS

I'm not a fashion expert, but I've never understood this one. If you're wearing ankle socks, I actually think black can look better than white socks.

Yeah, I would think black with Khakis works better than white. In general though, I think the socks should match the shoes, rather than the pants. So no to black socks, white shoes, and Khakis.

Quote:

17. PLAYING BACK TOO FAR

The narcissist golfer believes he's attractive, funny, talented. And he insists on playing the championship tees, as if anything less than 7,500 yards is an affront to his manhood.

Yup, and while you're hitting your mulligan 20 yds right of the correct fairway with your whiz-bang driver from the tips, the REAL pros hit a two iron from the same tee to the proper spot on the fairway.  You could too if you used a hybrid from the proper tee for your skill level.  BTW, the members in the group behind are laughing at you.

#37, Showing up at the pro shop 5 minutes before your tee time, then rushing to the first tee while ordering six beers and a bloody mary to go.  THEN use a mulligan while the next group curses under their breath and starts looking for the marshal's phone #.

How about a thread titled "You might be a redneck hack if...."????

@saevel25, this ones for both of us

If y'all don't want to know, don't read my swing thread

Get Gamegolf and then you wont have to type anything out ;-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Number 27. Yeah, sorry, me dropping where I think I lost the ball is a courtesy from me as a beginner, rather than a mistake. I know I'm not truly playing golf if I do that, but there's no way I'm walking back if I forgot to hit a provisional.

Also, 3 of the ones from the list were about what people wear. Seriously, life's too short to worry about stuff like that.

@saevel25, this ones for both of us

If y'all don't want to know, don't read my swing thread

Heck. That's the best thing about this forum. It gives me a place to recount my crappy rounds and pretend anyone cares.

• 3 weeks later...
Most of these I am all for except a few. My 3 iron and 3 woods are some of the clubs I hit the best in my bag. Secondly, sun screen is a personal thing. Not everyone needs sun screen all the time. I may use sun screen once or twice a year up here. I know some people need it regularly but the sun rays are needed for health as well.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Most of these I am all for except a few. My 3 iron and 3 woods are some of the clubs I hit the best in my bag.

Secondly, sun screen is a personal thing. Not everyone needs sun screen all the time. I may use sun screen once or twice a year up here. I know some people need it regularly but the sun rays are needed for health as well.

You might want to post the link ;-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2014-09/36-most-common-mistakes-in-golf

The book on the left covers 6, 11, 26, and 34. The rest are mostly unrelated to shooting lower scores and have more to do with "apply sunscreen" and "replace divots" and stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I started a thread on this before. [URL]http://thesandtrap.com/t/76935/golf-digest-editorial-36-most-common-mistakes-in-golf[/URL]

Bill

My Swing Thread

I never wear sunscreen and ive wore striped shorts with striped shirt before too.That was same day weeks ago I shot an even par 71.Doubt anyone was laughing about my clothes when I had 18 pars.Ive always said golfers wear funny looking clothes anyways.Were playing golf,not modeling for GQ.Look at payne stewart or fowler and his colorful outfits.Hopefully one day I wont regret not wearing sunscreen.

Number 27. Yeah, sorry, me dropping where I think I lost the ball is a courtesy from me as a beginner, rather than a mistake. I know I'm not truly playing golf if I do that, but there's no way I'm walking back if I forgot to hit a provisional.

Also, 3 of the ones from the list were about what people wear. Seriously, life's too short to worry about stuff like that.

I've also learned the hard way to hit that provisional when still at the tee box. O:)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No. 11 says don't practice 20-foot putts. I always hit a few just to get the feel of the green on a given day.

Four to eight footers will help you with one-putts, BUT, not practicing a few longer putts can lead to three-putts. The area Forest Park courses have several holes with long, narrow greens. Count on a couple of 50-footers each round.

Remember, this is the same Golf Digest that once advised us to sell all our clubs which were more than two years old.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I should probably start wearing sunscreen, but I just can't stand it when it feels oily because I know it eventually gets on my grips (it ends up on them if I have sunscreen on my arms). Anyone know of some good sunscreen?

Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!