IGNORED

Low pitch shot that checks up and stops HOW?

Note: This thread is 3294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That sounds like a pretty risky shot.

Since I'm launching it lower though I'm able to take a shorter, more controlled swing than I would need if I were hitting the ball high. I hit all my pitches low unless the flag location calls for a high shot.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Against my better judgment, I tried this shot twice yesterday. I put one 5 feet from the pin, the other 20 feet.

Main reason I tried it: I was in some very gnarly first-cut rough, and wanted to make sure I got through the ball OK.

That's not the kind of lie out of which you hit this shot.

You need a clean lie. If it's "gnarly" at all, you don't hit this shot. Not the one I'm picturing, that is: a low pitch shot that bounced once or twice and stops dead or nearly dead.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agreed. From what he's describing, a medium or high pitch with a SW or LW would be better.

- Joel

• 4 weeks later...
Spieth and Mcdowell did it yesterday on the same hole. Miller said you have to pinch it good for this shot work..

Yeah...he says a lot of dumb things.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 6 months later...

Would it be correct that to hit this low, spinning pitch shot that you have to have a steeper path... with shaft lean and kind of using the leading edge more than the bounce?

This is opposed to a higher, softer landing pitch where you have a shallower path, less shaft lean and use the bounce more.

Would it be correct that to hit this low, spinning pitch shot that you have to have a steeper path... with shaft lean and kind of using the leading edge more than the bounce?

This is opposed to a higher, softer landing pitch where you have a shallower path, less shaft lean and use the bounce more.

No, I hit this shot without hardly taking a divot. Sometimes I take no divot.

- Joel

[QUOTE name="Crazycanuck44" url="/t/76958/low-pitch-shot-that-checks-up-and-stops-how/72#post_1060252"]   Spieth and Mcdowell did it yesterday on the same hole. Miller said you have to pinch it good for this shot work.. [/QUOTE] This ^^^^

Ha. Glad to see you support yourself.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ha. Glad to see you support yourself.

A little self encouragement isn't a bad thing :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was taught for a pitch where you want it to hop once then check fast (this is different to the high spinning pitch shot) you want ball in middle of stance, weight 75:25 front front then hinge the wrists on back swing earlier than normal and then zip through the ball but the key is ensuring you don't use your wrists in the downswing at all! The key swing thought for me is swing from high position in backswing to low position in follow through (in a flop shot or more spinning shot it will be high back swing high follow through)!

Note: This thread is 3294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!