IGNORED

Ball shoots violently to my right with irons, never with woods. Why? (Right-hander)

JamesAA
Note: This thread is 3493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am so frustrated.  I hit well (well enough) with all my woods and putt reasonably well.  When I'm not plagued with my iron problem, those are very nice shots too.  But invariably I run into this catastrophic problem only with irons--the ball will shoot off violently to my right.  It's not even a slice.  It's a massive shank.  I will try to get a vid of the swing but after trying to dissect it over and over again on the range I think my club face may be opening up.  Would that cause such a terribly erratic shot like the one I described??

Secondly, why does this never happen with woods?  Sure, I can slice my drives, but I never have once hit a shot that just immediately shoots off to my right, at like a 45 degree angle.  Hell sometimes they are damn near 90 degrees lol.  Obv not really but perhaps as bad as 60 degrees.

I would think if I open my club face with irons that I would with woods too?!?

I'm not sure why I would open my club face but I think years of baseball may be the culprit.  Sometimes I find myself putting my weight on my back foot, and my torso falling backwards, thus possibly opening up the club face??  I'm not sure the club face would open given that info but it seems like a legitimate possibility.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts and input.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you are hitting a Sherman Tank, Barclary's Bank, J'Arthur Sh...ank. Been there, done that. You are swinging outside your intended path and are making contact with the ball on the hosel, the rounded bit of the iron right at the heel of the club. and the ball shoots right. I nearly nailed a PP of mine doing this the other week. The reason that you dont do it with the woods is because a wood does not have a hosel. I would recommend some help from a PGA pro. In my case, my swing was too armsy and my arms were not in connection with my body turn, and this forced them outside plane.

Are you certain the  iron heads are screwed on tight?  If loose, yes maybe they are way open on the downswing.

But most likely it's a swing flaw, and probably OTT. as mentioned.  . In my experience. for me,  OTT is caused by incomplete backswing, and attempting to 'hit the ball', not swing the club. Some of this developed through low confidence in making a 7i go 150 yrds, as the Pro girls do.

Agree too with the above that an incomplete backswing (or rather, incomplete turn) can force the arms to get involved in a 'hit' to make any sort of power, and this forces arms out of plane and the ball hits the hosel.

Interesting way of looking at it.  And it makes sense.  Never viewed it that way before.

Could a possible inside to outside swing (improper swing plane) cause such a shot?  Again, going back to my baseball habits I could easily see how my club head might be very inside on downswing and then finishing way off line (outside) due to my baseball tendency to put weight on back foot.  But again, I would think if this were the problem then I'd have erroneous shanks with woods too...and I don't.   It's only with irons and it's plagued me for years.  :(

Anyway, good tips from both of you guys.  Thanks!  I'm going to apply your suggestions at the range tonight.

And mega props for your avatar Joe!! :dance:

But invariably I run into this catastrophic problem only with irons--the ball will shoot off violently to my right.  It's not even a slice.  It's a massive shank.  I will try to get a vid of the swing but after trying to dissect it over and over again on the range I think my club face may be opening up.  Would that cause such a terribly erratic shot like the one I described??

Shanks are caused my one problem, the clubhead getting too far away from the body that the hosel comes in contact with the ball.

Shanks don't have to be caused by an open clubface. A shank can happen with both extreme swing paths. If a person has a big inside to out, they could push the club too far out and get the ball to hit the hosel. If a person has a big outside to in swing path they are sending the club way outside the ball, and also brings the hosel into play.

I would create your own, "My Swing" thread here, http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Here are some guidelines on creating your own "My Swing" thread, http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

Some information on how to correctly video tape your swing, http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Make sure to read the sections on how to position the camera.

Secondly, why does this never happen with woods?  Sure, I can slice my drives, but I never have once hit a shot that just immediately shoots off to my right, at like a 45 degree angle.  Hell sometimes they are damn near 90 degrees lol.  Obv not really but perhaps as bad as 60 degrees.

Woods don't have offset. The face of the wood extends all the way through the hosel, and has roll (curve to it). I would say with most woods it is impossible to shank them.

Originally Posted by JamesAA

I'm not sure why I would open my club face but I think years of baseball may be the culprit.  Sometimes I find myself putting my weight on my back foot, and my torso falling backwards, thus possibly opening up the club face??  I'm not sure the club face would open given that info but it seems like a legitimate possibility.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts and input.

Thanks in advance!

Weight back and torso falling backwards would cause a flip, or a move that is more outside to in swing path. Again, start a "My Swing" thread.

Sounds to me like a good place to start is to get you to keep your heady steady and get your weight forward,

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Woods can have offset. The hosel is on top of the club. There is only face to hit. Get a set of Cleveland VAS irons. They don't have the normal hosel to hit. Just kidding about the VAS irons. I have hit them before and they're not bad. Just look weird at setup.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!