IGNORED

My Swing (Saturday)

saturday
Note: This thread is 3328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 8 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 13

My typical ball flight is: High Fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull

Driver - Down the Line View

Driver - Side View

7 Iron - Down the Line View

7 Iron - Side View

I don't typically fade my driver unless I really try and crank it. Right now I'm fighting a big pull off the tee shot resulting in numerous penalties per round. I'm wondering if it's over turning my hips on my downswing. Tips would be appreciated and feedback on the swing. Thanks!!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I don't usually post on these but I will start. This is my first one.

This is what I see..

Backswing Driver/Iron: Your take away looks pretty good. One thing I would work on is your right knee comes in towards your left leg.. try to bring the knee out towards the ball more not in towards your left heel. A good drill for this is to take a range basket and put it next to your right leg. In your backswing, you should not touch the basket with your leg at all. Keeps the balance a lot better IMO Also- try not to go past parrellell with your driver.

Downswing: I think this is were you get your pull. You start closing the face down way too early. Clear your hips a little bit faster and feel like you are pulling the grip down like a rope towards the ball.. it will keep the lag all the way through the bottom of your swing. I think your arms just tend to get out in front of your body when you hit the pull. Right at the 6 second mark on your second driver swing is what I am talking about. The first video sort of looks like your follow through pulls in towards you and I would get the club face as far away from your body as possible on your follow through, without compromising your balance of course.

I don't usually post on these but I will start. This is my first one.

This is what I see..

Backswing Driver/Iron: Your take away looks pretty good. One thing I would work on is your right knee comes in towards your left leg.. try to bring the knee out towards the ball more not in towards your left heel. A good drill for this is to take a range basket and put it next to your right leg. In your backswing, you should not touch the basket with your leg at all. Keeps the balance a lot better IMO Also- try not to go past parrellell with your driver.

Downswing: I think this is were you get your pull. You start closing the face down way too early. Clear your hips a little bit faster and feel like you are pulling the grip down like a rope towards the ball.. it will keep the lag all the way through the bottom of your swing. I think your arms just tend to get out in front of your body when you hit the pull. Right at the 6 second mark on your second driver swing is what I am talking about. The first video sort of looks like your follow through pulls in towards you and I would get the club face as far away from your body as possible on your follow through, without compromising your balance of course.

Interesting, good thoughts. I'll have to try the pulling down of the grip next time I hit the range. The driver past parallel has always been an extremely hard challenge for me.. muscle memory at it's worst! Thanks for the feedback, will give it a go.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Still pulling my shots :( I want to end the season on a good note.. it's not looking good so far lol

I'm not an instructor but I see or feel a real outside to in swing path. This glancing blow will sometimes create a high fade with an open club face but if the clubface is square it will go straight right in your case. Many people have this problem. I have this problem.

Firstly you gotta slow down at the top. Your transition is so fast you are throwing or twisting your left shoulder laterally. You are trying to "kill it" and its killing you. You have to develop an inside to out swing path. To start your down swing your left shoulder needs to drop downward first. Look at how much Rory Mclroy comes from the inside.

An instructor told me once to line the club face square (to second base) and swing the driver toward to first base. Repeat this a thousand times and things may get better.

That would create a horrible hook.-Ball would start just right of second base-(Righty)- and hook off the planet.[quote name="Steve Hutch" url="/t/76974/my-swing-saturday#post_1051468"] An instructor told me once to line the club face square (to second base) and swing the driver toward to first base. Repeat this a thousand times and things may get better. [/quote] http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws
  • Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First on posture, could do with the head being down a bit more. http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

Second, you need to get a more centered pivot. Let the flex out in that left leg more in the backswing. You keep too much flex and shift your weight too much to that back foot. Then you get it stuck there, and the lack of hip turn causes you to overswing because you continue on with the arms to the top. Its easier to judge swing length with turn than it is with the arms.

Take a look at these two threads.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54540/a-centered-pivot

http://thesandtrap.com/t/76114/taking-a-look-at-a-centered-hip-turn

From there, you need to work on getting your weight forward at impact.

Left: You at set up, Right: you at impact

Left: Zach Johnson at set up, Right: Zach Johnson at address. Also note how his hips are forward and his head has stayed steady and allows for the secondary axis tilt in the upper body.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saevel thank you, I see exactly what you mean. Will have some work to do this week. I can point out three things right off the bat just watching the video you posted I'm doing incorrectly. Distance has always been an issue for me so hopefully the proper hip turn and forward lean will help out. Also, good read Phil, thank you.

• 6 months later...

I've worked super hard on transitioning the weight to my leading foot like suggested over the winter. I can see the extra yardage I'm getting for sure. Even though it's simulator numbers they're higher than what I was getting last year. Thought I'd post an update to how I'm doing and will upload a newer swing video. Great tips by Saevel.

Note: This thread is 3328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!