IGNORED

2014 BMW Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not a lot of backlash on Phil's WD; thought I would see/hear more, though I could just be missing it.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow...   I'm surprised.  Can you imagine the backlash had this been Tiger with a WD saying it was for "Rest" as Phil did?

Honestly, Although I hate to see anyone WD, I try not to judge them too harshly because you never really know what someone is going through or what their thoughts are.

It's funny.  I like Phil, I love to see him in contention, but for some unexplained reason, I love to see him lose!  I don't get it.. but I constantly find myself rooting for him to be in contention and then I pull for the other person (unless it's Sergio)...

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

FIGJAM withdrew and Chamblee just basically gave him a pass. Like the poster above stated if this was Tiger they would have a field day with this. Phil basically said well I probably won't win so.......IM OUT BITCHES!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Phil basically said well I probably won't win so.......IM OUT BITCHES!

LOL........   HA.... I just saw where he said "without a chance to contend at the Tour Championship, the most important thing for me now ...."  is to WD and say F-it, I want some rest...

Maybe there is more behind it and maybe he does need the rest, but that's funny!!!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Before the BMW, Phil said he was not accustomed to playing this many weeks in a row, and was tired.

I think the PGA took its toll, especially the finishing hole. He was pissed about the second shot and how that hole was finished. He probably believes it affected him and the outcome. I think he was done ... mentally, after that.

And now Keegan withdraws because he thought that he had violated the rules; Slugger White absolved him, Keegan sleeps on it, and still feels uncertain, and withdraws.

I predict the MVP of the US Ryder Cup Team will be the Team Psychologist.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I predict the MVP of the US Ryder Cup Team will be the Team Psychologist.

:dance:

JP

Not a lot of backlash on Phil's WD; thought I would see/hear more, though I could just be missing it.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/09/mickelsons-wd-is-phil-being-ph.html

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

[URL=http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/09/mickelsons-wd-is-phil-being-ph.html]http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/09/mickelsons-wd-is-phil-being-ph.html[/URL]

Still seems soft.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I have no issue with Phil WD from the tournament. Each golf has to do what is best for them. If he is struggling physically, and wants to prioritize the Ryder Cup. I have no issue at all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's the mention of not being in contention that makes it not seem about needing rest. He more or less just bailed two days early considering he wouldn't make it beyond that. Not sure what an extra two days is going to do for him considering he's been iffy all year (for Phil). He can do what he wants but it seems cheesy to me. The crowd following him was second only to Rory's. He had a huge crowd of young guys with custom printed Phil t-shirts and he walked around like a sourpuss. It was unbecoming.

Dave :-)

I have no issue with Phil WD from the tournament. Each golf has to do what is best for them. If he is struggling physically, and wants to prioritize the Ryder Cup. I have no issue at all.

Concur, I wish all the US Ryder Cuppers would withdraw at this point. Didn't see a thread on Keegan's situation. Poker night last night so didn't watch yesterday. I don't get what the controversy could be. If the ball embedded and he dropped, he must have seen the embed. And, if it was there the next morning for S White to see, it must have been pretty obvious. Anyone have a take that knows about it more than me?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

It's the mention of not being in contention that makes it not seem about needing rest. He more or less just bailed two days early considering he wouldn't make it beyond that. Not sure what an extra two days is going to do for him considering he's been iffy all year (for Phil). He can do what he wants but it seems cheesy to me. The crowd following him was second only to Rory's. He had a huge crowd of young guys with custom printed Phil t-shirts and he walked around like a sourpuss. It was unbecoming.

I've followed Phil 3 or 4 times and only once when he was playing well (Colonial in '05 or so when he won it). I've never seen him act like a "sourpuss" (I like this word, my mom used it all the time ;)). I guess even Phil can't be "on" 100% of the time but I'd bet he does a better job than almost anyone at it. I cut him some slack, who knows what's going on in his head.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

So … uh … I waited too long to get tickets for tomorrow. Long shot, but any of you other Denver folks have an extra ticket?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I like Phil, but I agree with you. Disappointing.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Being there in person, the rough is practically nothing here. No different rough than my high school tournaments.

I didn't see the rough as a problem as much as that course lays out kind of funky. Especially back where they are playing. Lots of hilly fairways that slope. Smallish old school greens that they missed often. I've played a few of the private courses around here, The Ranch, Lakewood, Boulder. Seemed to be a popular thing for greens to have severe slope back in the day. Not roller coaster stuff but standing on a hill putting stuff. As much talk as there was about the ball flying on the longer par 4's their approach shots were pretty far out IMO.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!