IGNORED

My Swing (burton9190)

burton9190
Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Will give that a go, thanks. I tend to practice drills much more in my net at home - e.g. waist height drills and slow motion swings. When I get to the range I try to trust my swing a bit more to gain confidence as I tend to fiddle with my swing too much on the course. Very pleased with progress so far so appreciate all the help!

Been to the range tonight and was hitting slice after slice with a few fat shots for good measure. Unfortunately not able to get a good quality video as the bays we were in were poorly lit.

After looking at the video above, my club face looks quite open at the top which I know can cause all kinds of trouble on the way down. My normal shot is usually a draw so could it be likely that the open club face is making me wipe across the ball so much?

Cheers.

After looking at the video above, my club face looks quite open at the top which I know can cause all kinds of trouble on the way down. My normal shot is usually a draw so could it be likely that the open club face is making me wipe across the ball so much?

Club face could be looking open if the left wrist cups too much, can lead to the club swinging across the ball.

Here's the first thing I would check, making sure the grip isn't in the palm of the left hand.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now then, just been to the range and seem to be getting some good results shifting my weight - the whole feel of my swing is much smoother, which is a high turning point for me, I was stuck in a rut of trying to smash the ball as hard as I could.

Anyway, here's another swing. Shot shape was a lovely little push draw on this swing, however getting a lot of push-fades/slices. Any idea why that might be? I know i have a small chicken wing on the way through and really struggling to shake it off so any help on that would be much appreciated.

Push draw 6i -

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I've had a very productive winter grooving a nice draw and generally feeling very happy with the way I'm swinging the club. I hit 2 of my best ever rounds over the winter - the best being 78 (par 70) that I hit yesterday. My handicap has been cut from 17 to 15 in the annual review so pretty happy with how things are looking.

The recurring problem at the moment is off the tee - my backswing looks good and my downswing approaches the ball nicely on an inside path, however at impact the club face on 3 wood and driver is ridiculously open. I've had a look in detail and it looks as if I need to allow the arms to catch up with the body a bit more on the downswing. I'm struggling to do this without adding tension to my arms (something I've tried very hard to get rid of), which creates a horrible strike and no release. Without getting the ball in to play, I am definitely on a bogey train all day, which i'm not a great fan of!

Here's a DTL view of my swing with a 3 wood:

Any help/tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Hello,

Take a look at this thread and notice how in your set up it looks like your not looking straight down at the ball through the center of your eyes.  This fix might help you a little bit with contact.  Good luck.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Hello,

Take a look at this thread and notice how in your set up it looks like your not looking straight down at the ball through the center of your eyes.  This fix might help you a little bit with contact.  Good luck.

Thanks man, I'll take a look!

Been doing a lot of work on posture and my release (chronic chicken wing sufferer) and here is my latest effort.

I'm using an old rusty bladed 3 iron in this vid and I was ripping the pants off it haha.

Any pointers very much welcomed. Thanks.

http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/lUlDSpEn?e=1781349#

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I seem to have come down with a bout of the SHANKS and no idea what to do...

I've had a pretty good start to the season and until a couple of weeks ago I had been hitting the ball much better and my bad shot was a push/hook - I'd tend to get stuck on the downswing.

To make things worse I have ordered myself a set of new irons that will be arriving tomorrow and I won't be able to hit them!

Here's my swing at the min... although not hitting a ball, I realise I am coming over the top and probably have a little bit of sway. I think this is down to tinkering way too much over the past week though. I had been working on really feeling the club head throughout the swing and had a major lightbulb moment about where the power actually comes from in the swing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am on the verge of quitting... :/

Thanks!

DTL:

Face on:

I'd focus on Key #1, head is moving a lot.

Have a friend hold a stick or his hand against your head. Take note of what you feel to not move the stick.

Mike McLoughlin

Been practicing hard on my swing this weekend and have managed to find the club face on a few occasions. Had a match earlier and thanks to some good putting and chipping i actually came in on some holes. Not fun with the shanks tho. Everything is a slice/hard pull now. I've worked on keeping head steady which I think has helped strike although I'm getting in a mess somewhere and glancing the ball with every club. heres my swing from range today: [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/BeiONTbeGlM[/VIDEO]

• Administrator

Video is private.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Didn't manage to get one today but will hopefully get one tomorrow (uk). Out of interest, what will keeping the head steady Improve in a swing? Not questioning, just interested as I have heard conflicting views on this.

Out of interest, what will keeping the head steady Improve in a swing? Not questioning, just interested as I have heard conflicting views on this.

For one thing, your head holds your eyes, which obviously play a big part in your coordination. Moving them around makes the "eyes" part of "hand-eye" coordination a lot tougher.

Out of interest, what will keeping the head steady Improve in a swing? Not questioning, just interested as I have heard conflicting views on this.

Did you mean to say, "improve my swing"? Yes, that's the reason I recommended you work on it :-) Moving the head as much as you do will have a "domino" effect with other pieces in your swing, you're basically make solid contact much harder to achieve when you head moves side to side.

Steady Head - the average PGA Tour player moves his head one inch during his backswing and less on his downswing. Since virtually none of them move their heads forwards on the backswing, that means that for every guy who moves it two inches, there's a guy moving it zero inches. For every guy that moves it three inches, there are two guys who don't move their head one bit. A relatively steady head is important because it's efficient to turn our shoulders in a circle. If the circle remains relatively steady, contact with the golf ball becomes easier and more consistent.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!