IGNORED

My Swing (burton9190)

burton9190
Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did you mean to say, "improve my swing"? Yes, that's the reason I recommended you work on it  Moving the head as much as you do will have a "domino" effect with other pieces in your swing, you're basically make solid contact much harder to achieve when you head moves side to side.

Yeah, sorry haha. Thanks for clearing that up, the mechanics of the golf swing interest me a lot so the more I understand the better for me!

I have just been down the range and got some swings. I have tried to get the DTL as good as possible for you although very hard without a cameraman. Still swinging left, although not so many shanks today and contact was good on the most part (I have calmed the head movement down a lot although not perfect yet).

My mind has been blown as to how a few weeks ago I was swinging way too much from the inside to now the complete opposite direction! :hmm:

Appreciate the help!

• 1 month later...

I've had a bit of trouble keeping the head still - especially in the backswing, and after watching this vid I noticed that my wrists barely hinge at all until very late in the swing. Could this lead me to over stretch the arms to get to the top, and take the head out of position?

I've been shooting some good scores recently though (+7, +8 on my past 2 social rounds) and have had another 2 shots off my handicap so now playing off 12.

Still struggling with a bit of a push - was wondering what you lot had to say.

edit: better vid of swing:

Cheers.

I've had a bit of trouble keeping the head still - especially in the backswing, and after watching this vid I noticed that my wrists barely hinge at all until very late in the swing. Could this lead me to over stretch the arms to get to the top, and take the head out of position?

For the wrist stuff the grip may be a bit weak/palmy, I'd check that.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/77007/my-swing-burton9190/18#post_1064223

Agree the head is still drifting too far to the right, I'd focus on that. Try to get an old shaft or an alignment stick to place against the side of your head.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@mvmac cool thanks man.

Am i right in thinking that this will feel very much like a reverse pivot and very steep compared to where I get to at the minute?

I'm not a fan of the term reverse pivot but you'll probably feel more "on top" of the ball on the backswing. Yes shoulder and hip turn will probably feel steeper.

Another drill you can do.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac does this look any better? Feels horrific! I've had my pro check my grip and seems ok but still struggling with wrist hinge. I think is why it seems such an effort to get the club to the top and look all stretched out. Cheers.

I'd like to see the upper back "softer" as you do it. Less of the "chest to the sky" extension.

Would also make sure you get the arch out of your lower back at set-up. Soften that lower back and turn the right hip UP and AROUND.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac is this looking any better? Sorry for bugging you so much ha. I think if I can get this bit sorted I can work my way nicely around it and get my ball striking back. Also just a note: On this pic I don't feel much coil in lower body Thanks for your help.

@mvmac is this looking any better? Sorry for bugging you so much ha. I think if I can get this bit sorted I can work my way nicely around it and get my ball striking back.

I like that a lot better, nice job.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac thanks man, this feels very much like an arm swing to me but I'm not complaining! Went to the range earlier but forgot my damn camera! Ball striking is back for the most part, but my swing feels very soft and slow... Not losing much difference though tbh. Ball flight has actually become noticibly more penetrating already. Direction not the best but I realise there are other flaws which contribute to this. Vid below of my swing at the min (no ball, sorry). I'm very keen to get to single figures by the end of the season and got a lot of time to practice. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/F5PVkmEo4uE[/VIDEO]

• 2 weeks later...
@mvmac My latest effort. This game has been driving me insane for a few weeks so I took a week off and filmed this. Head seems a lot better but strike is horrendous... Hitting it all over the face, lots of shots high on the face too, which is weird. Don't feel comfortable over any shot and really not enjoying playing at the min. It's a bit of a lottery every time I step up to the ball haha! On this shot I think I picked the ball off the turf on the up, pulled it. Hitting lots of pushes and push fades too with this. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/qPcUGrWGS1I[/VIDEO]

@mvmac thanks man, this feels very much like an arm swing to me but I'm not complaining!

Went to the range earlier but forgot my damn camera! Ball striking is back for the most part, but my swing feels very soft and slow... Not losing much difference though tbh. Ball flight has actually become noticibly more penetrating already. Direction not the best but I realise there are other flaws which contribute to this.

Vid below of my swing at the min (no ball, sorry). I'm very keen to get to single figures by the end of the season and

Maybe you have found better timing and rythum in your swing. Think a lot of people try to hit it harder then tense up then mess shot up. Swing fast not hard, soft muscles are fast, ask Hussain Bolt. Do you feel that you have a new rythum?, is your distance control out because of this? Good luck pal and keep digging the dirt

@nicefellow

Thanks man, digging is exactly what I'm doing right now!

The swings I was making felt like half swings and didn't really feel right to me. When I was swinging my best I felt like my arms and club were one big pendulum and I could feel when to apply force to the swing to get more power (like pushing a baby on a swing). This felt nothing like that and doesnt feel sustainable to me.

I've been chasing that old rhythm for a while so completely understand where you are coming from. I reckon a few flaws have crept in since then though and I'm not setting myself up in good enough positions to deliver the club very well.

This is the swing I'm talking about, haha:

I appreciate that posture is awful but I haven't hit the ball this well since winter.

Had a bit of a breakthrough keeping the head steady although I'm still a bit messed up. Here's a few vids to show progress. Still not getting away from a high leaky shot, even when I feel I have made a nice swing. Getting some really strange strikes- high and off the heel being the most common. Very rarely finding middle of club. :confused: [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/R6A7t1x6cs0[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/1zO53YDjgBU[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/INbTSNqyEuM[/VIDEO]

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!