IGNORED

Razr X vs Razr NG

StBarnard
Note: This thread is 3498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Razr X NG is a legacy version of the Razr X. Legacy version = a reissue of a previous mainline mode, with slight possible head modifications, and fitting all with a Uniflex shaft. (Uniflex bridges R and S flex, more or less). A legacy version makes a great starter set, or a solid lower cost set which will last the veteran casual golfer for many years.

Because Callaway already has recaptured most of the R&D; cost from the original Raxr X, and because Cw get big economies of scale by fitting all with the Uniflex shaft, and because all sets come with 4-AW, you can use the NG version for the the sub-$400 price point. An early legacy version was the X18R (for reissue). Razr X NG recently has been replaced by the X.Hot N14.

BTW, NG stands for new grooves, which is a bit silly since all mainline irons made after 2010 have the new grooves.

Most of the major OEMs do legacy models. Nike makes the VR_S X irons, for $299 in Uniflex. TM is still making the Burner 2.0 for $299 - it does give you the choice of R or S flex.

To answer your original question... if you can hit the NG version OK, go with it. But, if the shaft is either too soft or too stiff, go with the Razr X so you can get the shaft you need.

Caution: a legacy model will have very low trade-in value if it's not what you like.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Forgot to mention,  that I'm looking at getting graphite irons.  With having both shoulders operated on,  my clubhead speed is only in the high 70's.  Would this mean that I should look at the Razr X over the NG's?

Would this mean that I should look at the Razr X over the NG's?

Yes, I don't think the NG's come in graphite.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes, I don't think the NG's come in graphite.

That's correct. The NG sets come in one shaft and flex (Uniflex steel), the same 4-AW mix, and the clubs are Cx3: all done in China.

Head and shaft are made in mainland China, and the clubs are assembled in China. One shaft type, one set mix and one location is how you get economies of scale and lower costs. If you start offering variety, this drives the price up.

If you've had major shoulder surgery, I would suggest a custom fitting. Getting what you need at the start likely will be cheaper than buying and trading multiple sets trying to get lucky.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!