IGNORED

Help - Adding a Gap Wedge

Note: This thread is 6065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got the Callaway Big Bertha PW that has a loft of 45° . I also carry a couple of Clevelands: CG10 SW 56° (two dot = 14?) and CG10 LW 60° (one dot = 10?).

A full swing of the PW is 130-135.

A full swing of the SW is 100-105.

A full swing of the LW is 75-80 although I usually play feel with the SW unless I really need to drop and stop the ball or the once in awhile flop shot.

You can see I have a gap between the PW and SW and although I can feel my way with the PW, it would be great to have another full swing club in there.

The Callaway set has a 50° Approach Wedge. I really like the CG10's and had previously thought maybe a 52°? Also, what bounce would you recommend - 14 or 16? What loft do you think?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations

WITB:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5° Fit-On M Gold Fujikura Stiff
Fairway Woods: Big Bertha 3W Fujikura Stiff
FW-Hybrid: Insight XTD 5w 18° Aldila DVS StiffHybrid: Idea Pro 3i 20° Aldila VS Proto Blue By You StiffIrons: Big Bertha 4-PWWedges: CG10 50.08 GW, CG10 56.16 SWPutter: White...

A Gap Wedge definitely helped me. Before I got it, I had a big gap between my Wedge & SW. I usually hit my SW up to 115. My Wedge I can hit 150. So there was a time when I had to knock down a wedge on the in between shots. I got to where I could handle the shot on a regular basis. Then one day my ole golfing buddy said he had the perfect club for me. It was a Gap Wedge that really fit well into my game. It covers those shots from 125-135yards.

I would suggest you go for one. I think you'll love it once you get comfortable with it.

By the way, I see where you call Auburn Hills your home course. Do you live close by ? I live in Auburn Hills.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

the bounce depends on what you want to use it for. If you plan on tight lies from the fairway go with the lower bounce, rough or sand on solf turf go with the higher bounce. My 54 has the most bounce of my wedges since I use it from the sand. My 60 and 48 are both less.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

I've got the Callaway Big Bertha PW that

I personally think an approach wedge is crucial to close that big gap between pitching and sand wedge. As far as which wedge you should choose, it all depends on you. Big Bertha's AW seems too bulky though it will compliment the set you have. Since, however, you said you like the CG10 more then I'm guessing you'll be better off with it.

If you're unsure about which bounce you should get, I suggest you try them on a lie board with impact tape on the sole of the wedge. See where the impact/scratch is on the sole. The one suits you the best is the one in the center of the sole, not the leading edge. This is what my club fitter told me when I was trying Vokey SM60. Hope this helps you.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

A Gap Wedge definitely helped me. Before I got it, I had a big gap between my Wedge & SW. I usually hit my SW up to 115. My Wedge I can hit 150. So there was a time when I had to knock down a wedge on the in between shots. I got to where I could handle the shot on a regular basis. Then one day my ole golfing buddy said he had the perfect club for me. It was a Gap Wedge that really fit well into my game. It covers those shots from 125-135yards.

Hey thanks - sounds like I need one. Is your GW a 52? Seems like 52, 56, 60 is a popular spacing. With my PW at 45, I wasn't sure whether to get a 50 or 52.

Yeah, I live up by Maize. Auburn Hills is the closest of the city courses and I use the range there a lot. I have a city pass so I play all of the city courses but Auburn Hills the most. By playing there more, it makes the other city courses seem much easier.
WITB:

FW-Hybrid: Insight XTD 5w 18° Aldila DVS StiffHybrid: Idea Pro 3i 20° Aldila VS Proto Blue By You StiffIrons: Big Bertha 4-PWWedges: CG10 50.08 GW, CG10 56.16 SWPutter: White...

Big Bertha's AW seems too bulky

I agree. I will go w/ the CG10.

If you're unsure about which bounce you should get...

I have done a little more research since the original post and noticed that the CG10's do not offer multiple bounce choices in the lower lofts. They clip the choices at the 54 with both the 50 and 52 only available in standard bounces.

Seems a GW has helped everybody so that makes the decision easy. All I need to do now is decide between the 50 and 52. Thanks for the help!
WITB:

my PW is 45 and my CG10 is 56 so i found a 50° DW that matched my set so i got it, i am very happy with my purchase. you should definatly get a gap wedge.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

I hit my wedges about the same distances as you except my PW is 47*. My lofts are...

PW - 47*
GW - 52*
SW - 56*
LW - 60*

Your GW should fill the 115-120 gap. If you base it off your SW, then go for the 52. Get it at a golf shop that allows you to exchange it if you find you really need the 50.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

My preference would be to go with the CG10 in the 50 degrees with the 8 degree bounce. That would put you in the middle and you could weaken it 1 or 2 degrees if you needed to. You don't need (and they don't offer) a lot of bounce because this is just a weak pitching wedge. I think that it would be a go to club for the in between distances and you will love it for chipping around the greens and from off the fairway.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

My preference would be to go with the CG10 in the 50 degrees with the 8 degree bounce. That would put you in the middle and you could weaken it 1 or 2 degrees if you needed to. You don't need (and they don't offer) a lot of bounce because this is just a weak pitching wedge. I think that it would be a go to club for the in between distances and you will love it for chipping around the greens and from off the fairway.

I took your advice and just ordered a 50 degree CG10 from RockBottomGolf. With the PW at 45 and the SW at 56, I agree that the 50 fits the middle gap well. Likewise, I'd rather have too much club than not enough.

Thanks to everyone for all of the posts
WITB:

I took your advice and just ordered a 50 degree CG10 from RockBottomGolf. With the PW at 45 and the SW at 56, I agree that the 50 fits the middle gap well. Likewise, I'd rather have too much club than not enough.

You made a wise choice. Remember you can always tweak with a little bend here and a little bend there...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

pretty amazing that your pw is 45 degrees, i think mine is about 49/50. i also carry a 56 sand but i do not carry a lob wedge, thats to make room for my 52 nike sv tour, its amazing, dropped at least 2 strokes every round and i use it alot around the greens as well.

Maybe someone could help me in my problem, too.

PW - 45* ... I only hit this from 125-135
SW - 54* ... I hit this from half-swing 60-110 full swing, and use it for all of my chips
LW - 60* ... I hit this from 40-60, and use it up close if I need to stick a shot.

I've noticed some distance control problems between my SW and PW, namely that I end up 110-120 yards from the green and I take out my SW and it comes up a couple yards short

I feel like I should have something in between my PW and SW, and maybe I should get rid of my 54* and get a 56* for my chips/close shots and get a 52* for my GW? Also, I very frequently feel like I wish I had something in between my 54* and my 60*, because I hate hitting my 60* on anything more than a half swing, but I'll hit my 54* too far.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

No doubt you'll like the 50-deg CG10.

I carry the Callaway AW and it fills the gap between the PW and SW very well.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

Maybe someone could help me in my problem, too.

I agree with what you're thinking. I believe the "standard" SW is 56*, not 54*. By going 52* GW, 56* SW, and 60* LW you should have those crucial distances surrounding 100 yards covered by 20 yards.

You'll also find the 56* to be better around the greens and out of greenside bunkers than a 54* (higher/softer). That club should have the bounce for sand and rough. The 52 GW should have less (no) bounce for those tighter shots. The GW is also good around the greens where you want some rollout (the air and roll distances should be the same on chips).

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Note: This thread is 6065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!