IGNORED

My Swing (DrvFrShow)

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 1017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 yrs

My current handicap index or average score is: 24.8

My typical ball flight is: high draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hook

Videos: In this shot I'm hitting a six iron. I striped it about 165. Sorry for the shaky camera. It was taken by a nice man about my age at the driving range today.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Couple more examples, palm of the right hand pointing towards the ground, right hand above the left.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Wow. Thanks, Mike, for taking the time to do that. I'm a visual learner. Seeing it in pictures is one thing, but this was beyond the call of duty. You showed me just what I need to work on just set my next practice session. Please leave the vid up.

I've been working on my take away, and today I wanted to see if I was staying on plane, which it appears that I was and it's a damned good thing I'm as athletic as I am to make the compensation. I used to hinge early on the take away and just got away from doing that. I've wanted the "one piece takeaway."

So I just went downstairs and pulled my lob wedge out and tried this slowly, of course, I'm in the house. It's leadiing with the back of the right hand on the backswing, and the wrist will take care of itself. I have to keep it simple, because if there's too much to think about I'll mess up. I can't think while I'm doing this, you know.

I have a front view, and it wasn't a very good connection. I hit fat, and I saw a problem. I had a poor weight shift to my right side, which I corrected on this one, and I had a slight reverse pivot. Reverse pivots are something I just learned about watching Sergio Garcia. Sergio does that, and he says he has to make compensations for that. Yes, he generates a ton of lag, but I'm 62 and not as athletic. When my compensating all comes together I hit the ball a mile. When it doesn't, I hook the ball or hit it fat. You mentioned the fat hits, I didn't. I'm not going to get more athletic. Sad but true.

Another thing that I noticed when I tried this downstairs was that it forced a better weight shift to my right leg, whereas the way I've been doing it, it is easy to go into that reverse pivot because the club weight gets too much behind and back. So maybe this fixes that problem, too, yes? I'll work on it, and shoot another video in a month or so if I can snag someone to take one. I'll see if I can get both down the line and front views next time.

Lexi is 19 and a hell of an athlete, and she generates a ton of club head lag. So if I'm going spend the time grooving a swing I might as well do it right, yes?

Julia

Spoiler

• Administrator

One bit to add, too: check your grip. Tough to tell from your video but women, more than men, tend to get palmy grips because it helps them feel "in control" of the club more. The proper grip is much more in the fingers.

Quick check: grip the skinny end of the shaft near the hosel. It'll naturally want to sit in the fingers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So I just went downstairs and pulled my lob wedge out and tried this slowly, of course, I'm in the house. It's leadiing with the back of the right hand on the backswing, and the wrist will take care of itself. I have to keep it simple, because if there's too much to think about I'll mess up. I can't think while I'm doing this, you know.

Yes, I think if you feel what I suggested the wrist stuff will take care of itself. If it doesn't you can always add some more wrist hinge but I would focus on the right hand staying above the left, palm of the right hand facing the ground, for a good while.

I have a front view, and it wasn't a very good connection. I hit fat, and I saw a problem. I had a poor weight shift to my right side, which I corrected on this one, and I had a slight reverse pivot. Reverse pivots are something I just learned about watching Sergio Garcia. Sergio does that, and he says he has to make compensations for that. Yes, he generates a ton of lag, but I'm 62 and not as athletic. When my compensating all comes together I hit the ball a mile. When it doesn't, I hook the ball or hit it fat. You mentioned the fat hits, I didn't. I'm not going to get more athletic. Sad but true.

Yes, the fat and hook shots come from the arms being "stuck" behind you which causes you to "jump" too soon on the downswing to create some speed. You backswing position is restricting how much you can use your arms for speed and low point control on the downswing.

Lexi is 19 and a hell of an athlete, and she generates a ton of club head lag. So if I'm going spend the time grooving a swing I might as well do it right, yes?

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you try to swing exactly like Lexi, just illustrating a little cause and effect on the takeaway. It's going to be much easier to generate lag with the arms a bit more "freed up".

Mike McLoughlin

Just checked. Grabbed a club and got a grip. Not palmy. That's also one of the things on my mental checklist. Grip? check. When I started I had a tendency to have a palmy grip. I use a single overlapping grip.

That swing adjustment isn't going to be that difficult to make. I've made a mental note of it, and repeated it again a few times this morning. I'm obsessed. I know that now.

@Mike  - I know t hat about swingin g like Lexi. ;-) I can do and things I can't do. There are things about her swing I can incorporate like her takeaway. I love her tempo. She doesn't mess around. I have a fairly quick tempo, too, but that's my natural tempo, and I'm not going to force it. I cannot snap that left leg like she does on her followthru - I'll need a knee replacement. lol.

BTW my name is Julia.

Julia

Spoiler

Okay I decided to put up the front view as well. It's not my best, and I hit the ball a bit fat. But I think your idea on fixing the breakdown on the takeaway might do the job. My feet could be flared a bit because I'm torquing my knees too much here, too. I made that adjustment on the first video I posted. My right arm gets trapped behind my body and I have to make a compensation to hit the ball. The timing on that has to be perfect, but the take away fix might do the job.

1. One-piece takeaway.

2. Flare feet slightly.

See if you can find anything else.

Julia

Spoiler

My feet could be flared a bit because I'm torquing my knees too much here, too.

Flaring the feet is good!

1. One-piece takeaway.

2. Flare feet slightly.

See if you can find anything else.

Focus mostly on the takeaway piece for now. I would experiment with more foot flare and playing the ball more forward, it's too far back. Long term you'll also want to get the weight further forward at impact but one thing at a time.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Flaring the feet is good!

Focus mostly on the takeaway piece for now. I would experiment with more foot flare and playing the ball more forward, it's too far back. Long term you'll also want to get the weight further forward at impact but one thing at a time.

Okay, coach. One thing at a time. I'll work on the takeaway for now. Then when I get comfortable with that, I'll experiment with foot flare, then playing the ball more forward. But one thing at a time.

At least the head is steady for the most part.

Julia

Spoiler

I just got back from the driving range, and had hit 150 balls. I talked with my pro, and he's going to work with me over the winter on things. He knows what I want to do. Fortunately I'm athletic.

I made the one change in the takeaway Mike suggested. I was working on that taking slow practice swings and hitting chip shots with it just to ingrain that feel for the first half hour. Then I went to half swings with my pitching wedge. And that's where things began to fall apart.

The takeaway changed where my left arm went on my back swing. It now wanted to go higher. "Above the boobs, Julia." Whole new feel on this. It's a stretch at the top. Damned old age stiffness.

Okay now take a bunch of practice swings. Good. Now hit a ball. Yikes. Horrid.

Here's the diagnosis. 1) the new takeaway works fine; 2) it changed the position of my left arm and allows my upper body to coil more in relation to my hips; 3) the change in position of my left arm changed my swing arc and moved the bottom of the arc forward so I had to move the ball position forward to make good contact again.

End result was that I was able to hit the ball further and straighter when I hit it. It is very inconsistent right now because I've only been doing this for less than 150 balls, whereas I was doing the way in the video for probably a few thousand balls. When I tried it with my driver I was striping them another 10-20 yds carry with a higher launch angle and straighter.

Julia

Spoiler

What's your name?-You dont look 62. Lets see the new vid.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I'm not going to post a new vid until I've been working on this for a couple of weeks. It's too soon. Don't rush me. I want the fundamentals in place first.

Sorry for this vent and rant....

I realized yesterday I hit 1000 balls over the past week. 500 since Friday.

I took a lesson on Saturday. We did knockout shots to make solid contact with the ball. I can do that. I was doing this drill fine. I thought I had this down pat on Sunday. I could take the drill and expand it to a full swing like he wanted. Sunday I'd gotten up to hitting 9 in a row between duffs, whereas before it was only 3 in a row.

Then yesterday, I was on the verge of tears. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I wanted to throw my 7 iron out into the middle of the range. I have anger issues. I'm not supposed to hit my driver, but my driver gets out anger. I took it out and hit it straight and out to the back fence on carry. Ten shots. Avg carry 240 - 250. I think the Big Bertha is going to sit in the garage if I keep hitting this Razr Fit this well - more on this later. I used to do that when I'd practice on the piano. Take out something else and play it for a while then go back to what I was working on.

So I went back to my 7 iron and couldn't hit crap again, not even a knockout with it. Then I went back to my 8 iron and hit more knockouts. Okay, I could do that with the 8 iron. Try a half swing. Okay this is working. Now a full swing. Crap! WTF is going on? Try an easy full swing. Still nothing. Load another bucket of 50. 25 more shots.... finally one good one. I'm done. Quit while you're ahead.

I came home and went to the gym and did an anger workout. Chest, shoulders, and triceps. Oh, I've lost 5.5 lbs over the past 3 weeks, and I know I've gained muscle, so I've lost fat. That's good. I'm looking better, but this is all hard to do.

I feel sometimes that I'm cursed with mediocrity in everything. I'm good enough just to get a taste of what it feels like to be really good at something, but no matter how much work I put into it, I can never seem to get past it. This is very frustrating.

People tell me: "Take it easy, rest. You're pushing too hard." Yeah, the doctors told me to lay off stuff for six months due to injuries three years ago. Sorry guys. I'm not getting younger. Fight through the pain. It's what I've done all my life. I'll rest when I'm dead.

Well, it's off to the range again today.... maybe it'll be better. Coach will be there today.

Julia

Spoiler

Okay, talked to the coach on Tuesday. That was needed. "What do I do when I get frustrated, coach?"

C: "Let it go, and move on."

J: "But I can't just leave on a bad note."

C: "When the basket is empty it's empty. It's over."

J: "But..."

C: "Look, I've seen you out there. I was like you when I was younger. I was a hot head. While emotions work great in sports like basketball; golf will punish you. (insert story about his U.S. Open Qualifier Round and first hole) I had to make a choice, to get mad and blow it, or just shake it off and think of it as just a shot. I finished my rounds and qualified. They're all just shots. Go onto the next one. Remember the good ones, forget the bad ones. Take each shot one at a time."

J: *nods*

C: "Now when you practice, practice with a purpose. Do your drills. You're doing knock down shots, then moving to half swings, then full swings. You're working with your pitching wedge, 8 iron, and 7 iron. Do X number of knock down shots, and when you've hit that number move on. I don't care if the last shot sucked. Move on. It was just a shot. Let it go. Move onto the next drill: half-swings. Hit X number of them. Then move onto full swings, and hit X number of them. Then move onto the next club and repeat the series. When you finish the sets, stop. Put the clubs away and go home. It's over. Relax. There's always another day. The symphony doesn't sit down and play the piece of music perfect the first day. And if they flub the last note in a concert, they don't get to repeat it. It's over. Stop stressing."

J: "Okay coach."

So yesterday I hit 153 balls: the 17/17/17 plan with the three clubs. Today was the 22/22/22 plan or 198 balls. Now the dispenser gave out 204 balls. I gave away 6 because my drills were done. It was over. It feels better knowing I don't have to be perfect.

Julia

Spoiler

Nice post, Julia. Good luck! I'm a regular poster in the Dan Plan thread. Damn you for making me interested in another aspiring golfer's travails! :). We are a curious bunch, we golfers who aspire to hit consistent shots. Why is it so damn hard, even for many who are otherwise very athletic? We love to see others in the same boat, and cheer/encourage them to make progress. Something tells me you'll get there. Oh, I hate when I buy 45 balls and I only get 43 from the dispenser!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'm thinking of using one of these two threads as a "blog" for my progress about how I'm progressing in this insane game at my age, and what it's taking. Should it be this one or the other thread of "5 handicap in 5 years" since it would involve on course experiences in the spring when we start reporting our GHIN stuff again?

Julia

Spoiler

I'm thinking of using one of these two threads as a "blog" for my progress about how I'm progressing in this insane game at my age, and what it's taking. Should it be this one or the other thread of "5 handicap in 5 years" since it would involve on course experiences in the spring when we start reporting our GHIN stuff again?

Either would probably be fine. You could use this thread primarily for mechanics stuff and the other one to for your experiences, if you like. I use my own swing thread as a blog of sorts.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

There is a problem... No new video, but a description will suffice. As I said above, fixing the takeaway changed the angle of the swing plane. But there is something I don't know if I'm going to physically be able to do:

* have the left arm parallel to the shoulders.

Why? My left shoulder pops when I do that. I will end up with a case of shoulder bursitis and out of golf for the winter hoping that it heals in time for spring. If I force it I start dealing with a leak to the right which is what I was fighting in the beginning. Being tall my swing gets vertical and one little bit out, and I'm going outside in with an open face because my wrist tends to cup.

I can't go more than 2/3 back swing before the popping happens. This has cost me distance. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with what I was doing before other than the fact that it was causing my swing to bottom further back... i.e. I have to play the ball a bit further back in my stance than most people, even though I end up with my weight on my front foot.

The better takeaway has reduced the amount I'm hooking the ball.

I'm just wondering if I need to simply get consistent at what is working instead of trying to change everything to be by the book?

Julia

Spoiler

There is a problem... No new video, but a description will suffice. As I said above, fixing the takeaway changed the angle of the swing plane. But there is something I don't know if I'm going to physically be able to do: * have the left arm parallel to the shoulders. Why? My left shoulder pops when I do that. I will end up with a case of shoulder bursitis and out of golf for the winter hoping that it heals in time for spring. If I force it I start dealing with a leak to the right which is what I was fighting in the beginning. Being tall my swing gets vertical and one little bit out, and I'm going outside in with an open face because my wrist tends to cup. I can't go more than 2/3 back swing before the popping happens. This has cost me distance. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with what I was doing before other than the fact that it was causing my swing to bottom further back... i.e. I have to play the ball a bit further back in my stance than most people, even though I end up with my weight on my front foot. The better takeaway has reduced the amount I'm hooking the ball. I'm just wondering if I need to simply get consistent at what is working instead of trying to change everything to be by the book?

Not everyone has their lead arm parallel like that. Please be careful, it's not worth popping your shoulder!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!