IGNORED

Jeans, Golf Courses, and Father-in-laws

Roody
Note: This thread is 6061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've worn jeans a couple of times, both at the Colebrook Country Club, which is more country than club. (On a side note, it does have a par 6). It is in the mountains of NH, so dress codes aren't really their thing.

But I agree with the general sentiment that dress codes should be there, however, they should be enforced more strictly (too baggy shorts or obnoxious collared shirts) or more leniently (mock turtlenecks) as long as people look presentable. (not withstanding CC's in the mountains of NH)

"I guess thats why your a 19+ handicap"

Why do low handicap golfers think that they are the only ones entitled to an opinion on golf?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

"I guess thats why your a 19+ handicap"

Good question... worthy of an entire thread all by itself.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey, he is your father in law. Your wife's dad who raised her. I know it is golf, but I would have stuck up for him and tried to get them to let both of you play. Although I think you father-in-law was wrong to show up in jeans you needed to stick by him. He made a mistake, was probably embarassed and probably would have left and insisted that you stay and play your round.

I think you made a bad call, but it really perplexes me "WHY WOULD HE WEAR JEANS?" Just doesn't make sense. I'd be pretty mad at him.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

• Administrator

I've hesitated to weigh in, but here's how I see it.

First off, I'd have made sure he was dressed properly before we arrived. I'd have made sure he knew the dress code or at least the understood dress code. So it wouldn't have been an issue.

Had he arrived in jeans (and had I skipped the point above), I'd have said the pro shop guys were completely within their right to kick him out. I'd have been disappointed, I'd have faced a tough decision whether to go home or play, but I'd not have "stood up for him" - he was wrong. I'm all for standing up for what's right, but standing up for what's wrong just makes you look silly.

And as for jeans as a policy, I'm glad they're banned simply because they introduce a grey area. You don't see people showing up in Dockers with holes or grease spots on them, yet jeans commonly have holes, are dirty, are worn and old looking, etc. That's the grey area allowing jeans introduces. What would the policy say? "Nice looking jeans only?" Who determines "nice looking"?

A round of golf costs more than a decent pair of pants. If you golf, you've probably got plenty of pants you can wear that aren't made of denim.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First off, I'd have made sure he was dressed properly before we arrived. I'd have made sure he knew the dress code or at least the understood dress code. So it wouldn't have been an issue.

This was one of those days where instead of meeting up and riding over together, the location of the course made it more sensible for us to drive separately and just meet there. Funny thing is, I met him in the parking lot and we walked in together, but I never once paid attention to what he was wearing. Too early in the morning I guess.

I'd have said the pro shop guys were completely within their right to kick him out. I'd have been disappointed, I'd have faced a tough decision whether to go home or play, but I'd not have "stood up for him" - he was wrong. I'm all for standing up for what's right, but standing up for what's wrong just makes you look silly.

Agreed on all accounts. I can't argue with someone who I feel is in their right. The rules were posted on a sign right behind the pro shop counter. There's nothing to argue.

Hey, he is your father in law. Your wife's dad who raised her. I know it is golf, but I would have stuck up for him and tried to get them to let both of you play. Although I think you father-in-law was wrong to show up in jeans you needed to stick by him. He made a mistake, was probably embarassed and probably would have left and insisted that you stay and play your round.

I agree, I feel as if I goofed. I should have left with him, but not because he was in the right, because he would have done the same for me if the roles had been reversed. Conversely though, he put me into a tough situation that I should not have been put in the first place. So while he could be mad at me for not leaving with him, I also have a right to be angry that he even showed up and introduced the controversy to begin with. Like you guys said, it's not hard to throw on a pair of Dockers.

"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

Roody, which course was it?

I'm up here in Rochester, too... I played Brockport CC last weekend and it was 55 degrees at my 8am tee time, but it warmed up to a nice 65 and sunny by 11am. I feel your pain about being cold in the morning, I could barely feel my fingers while teeing off. It definitely screws up your game.

This weekend's supposed to be nice though :)

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

You did the right thing playing your round of golf. He new the rules and chose not to obey them. He also insulted you,kowing the course you wanted to play and showing up in jeans. You should have kept the free passes for yourself.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Roody, which course was it?

It's Brookwoods CC, formerly known as Ontario CC.

Brockport you say? I haven't played there this year, probably because it's a little bit of a hike for me being on the east side. I played it three times last year. They finish the renovations on that 18th hole yet?

In My Bag:
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

Ohhh OGC? I used to live about 5 minutes from it. Never played the course, but I got offered a job there when I was younger because my father was friends with the course pro.

And yea, the 18th is a freaking monster. If you birdie it, you get a free round of golf. The scorecard says it's impossible to get up and down if you miss the approach shot, haha. My girlfriend actually chipped up from the front (a very narrow apron) and putted it in; a miracle for sure, haha.

Where on the east side? I'm in East Rochester, Brighton area, but my girlfriend is out in Brockport so it's easy for us. What courses do you normally play? I lived in Penfield for a little while and I grew up around here, so I've played almost everything.

By the way, this Sunday they're doing a special: $40 to play and you get 2 free greens fees and a voucher for either a free set of wedges or a hybrid. They did it last weekend too, and I chose the hybrid because I don't own one yet so I figure it's worth a try. www.magiquegolf.com is the vendor. Besides, $40 for 3 rounds of golf is a good deal :)

Anyway you've gotta be on the 'mailing list' to get the deal, but if you're interested I can send the coupon to a friend via e-mail.

I am on that mailing list as well. I sold my email soul to them last year when they gave out a free round to people who signed up for their list. But they send so many emails that it's gotten to a point where I don't read them much anymore. Most of their email offers don't interest me - "spend $40 for a round of golf and get a free cheesburger at the Yankee Grill" or whatever their restaurant is called. But the deal you talked about sounds pretty good. Even without the hybrid thrown in.

As for where on the east side, I'm in Fairport. A stone's throw from you - what a small world

In My Bag:

Haha, indeed.

I played Eagle Vale a couple weeks ago, but I don't care to play it all that much. I think it's a very uninteresting course, and not worth the $45 they are charging nowadays. However, my instructor is out of there, so I go there for my lessons.

As for the Shadows, I tend to play those more. I play in a league at Greystone, I like Shadow Cake, err I mean Shadow Lake because it's a nice little confidence builder. And Shadow Pines, that's a good challenge. What about yourself? Where do you normally play?

In My Bag:

Greystone is freaking beautiful. I've only played it once, but next season I'll be there a bunch more. I also agree that Eagle Vale is way too expensive. It's a nice course, but certainly not worth $45 when there are courses like Greystone and Shadow Pines around.

Well I grew up playing Webster and the Shadows, and actually grew up 5 minutes from Greystone but it was always too expensive to go, so I've gotta make up for that, haha. I just graduated from RIT and got me a job, so I've finally got income and I can afford to play rounds of golf, instead of just hitting the driving range. I've been playing the Shadows a lot lately, mostly Shadow Lake with my girlfriend. Also, since she lives out in Brockport, there are like 6 courses within 10 minutes of her apartment (all on Rt-104/Ridge Rd). They're decent... flat, open, and arid fairways and greens, but hey it's golf (and it's pretty cheap, too). So far I've only tried Deerfield, Arrowhead, and Brockport CC.

Also, when I've got an hour or so and I want to play, I'll go to this nice little place down in Rush called Executive South Family Golf Center. It's a nice little par-3 course that you can play for $7. It really gets me working on my approach shots.

I'm still making golfing buddies at work, because it's big corporation (Harris) and everyone golfs here.

Hey guys... maybe you could call each other on the phone or meet for a drink after work rather than hijacking the thread??? Just a suggestion. Not trying to be a jerk....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Dress codes, which are fairly liberal these days, almost anything but blue jeans, cutoffs, t-shirts and flip flops, are an attempt to retain some of the passion and atmosphere of the game, so you feel like your playing golf and not at the local mall. If its too much trouble to comply, then don't play. You can wear anything to the mall and maybe have more fun doing it.

Risky business playing on when the father in law left. Flowers for the wife sounds like a good idea.

I agree, I feel as if I goofed. I should have left with him, but not because he was in the right, because he would have done the same for me if the roles had been reversed. Conversely though, he put me into a tough situation that I should not have been put in the first place. So while he could be mad at me for not leaving with him, I also have a right to be angry that he even showed up and introduced the controversy to begin with. Like you guys said, it's not hard to throw on a pair of Dockers.

I think all you have to do is tell him you goofed and get him some golf balls. He should also admit that it was pretty lame to show up in jeans. I would ask him "what were you thinking?"

In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

Note: This thread is 6061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!