IGNORED

What Are Your 2015 Golf Goals? Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Like our 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2011 , 2012 , 2013 , and 2014 threads, here's the official thread for 2015.

The rules are the same as they've been:

1. Post your goals personal golf-related goals for 2015. See the postscript below for more.
  2. Please try to post just once, though if you reach all of your goals, you should quote your post and revise them later in the year.
  3. Do not reply to the posts of other people. This thread, like " What'd You Shoot Today ," is not intended to be a discussion, but merely a list of people's goals.

I encourage people to post a copy of their goals in their My Swing thread (and post a link to it here, so people can discuss your goals in your thread), for ongoing discussion.

If you're looking to recap your 2014 goals, that's over here in this thread .

Let's hear 'em!

P.S. Two later additions.

• Be specific and thorough.
  • Elaborate on HOW you plan to achieve your goals.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My goal? Simple,  to play 60-90 rounds a year, like I have for the past 5 years. Time and flexibility to get those rounds in will indeed be the challenge next year. At my age and handicap I am pretty satisfied with my game, my putting really improved this year.

Simple ones Shot 12 rounds below 90 Submit at least one video to Evolvr a month (falling behind) Practice putting more ... (aimpoint perhaps)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

1) Getting key 2 with a full swing, sans injury.

2) Hope to get to 2 keys this year.

3) Start working on "ball striking".

4) Practice my short game 35% of the time I plan to practice.

5) Spend a lot more time actually playing golf.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Improve on keys 4 and 5 and if possible improve my handicap or at least have one that travels well.  I am probably finished trying to think about long term goals.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Pretty simple. For myself, to stay healthy, and get back to a single digit handicap. Both are very obtainable with my regimen for both. I will be playing between 100, and 150  rounds next year. Of course with just about everything else I do, I will just be having  fun with the game. I will also be playing in 6-8 tournaments for worthy causes. Juvenile Diabetes is big on my list of worthy causes.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Hmm.  I'm coming off of a bad round two weeks ago, so not feeling very positive.  Meeting the 2014 goals was not very successful, so 2015 will be more of the same.

2014:

1)  Play at least 20 rounds.  Only 15 rounds, so far.

2)  Play new courses.  Played 4 new courses.

3)  Get HI to under 15.  It dropped from 17.3 to the current 15.6.

I realized HI might be an inadequate measurement given that I have rounds from last year still affecting my HI.

Perhaps goals related to ball striking improvement like Fairways Hit and Greens in Regulation (and perhaps a reduction in blow-up holes), would be better measures of progress for 2015.

1)  Increase Average Fairways hit to around 7 (50%).  (Last round I only hit 3 fairways;

most misses weren't close)

2)  Increase Average Greens in Regulation to around 6.  (Last round I only hit 2 GIRs)

3)  Reduce severity of my worse miss (a bad pull hook).  (This bad swing really messes with my head)

I would think improvement in these areas would get me to the low 80s.  I'm working on my golf swing (I just videotaped it for the first time).   I think I have a good idea of what happens, so we'll see if I can get the changes I'm working on to stick.

1. Current HI = 19.  2015 HI target = 16.   Keep total putts per round = 32-, GIRs = 4+, Driving average = 200+, number of OBs = 1-, number of pars = 5+
  2. Win a club tournament.
  3. Make a hole in one.
  4. Play Bandon Dunes.
  5. Get custom fit golf set.
  6. Don't kill myself when 1 - 5 ends in utter failure.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

2015 goals

1. Join Evolvr, Practice 5 days a week

2. Play 50 rounds

2015 aspirations

1. Get my handicap to 18

2. Become more consistent with my Driver

My swing link (for goal discussions)

http://thesandtrap.com/t/77818/my-swing-no-mulligans#post_1075257

Swing Goals

1) Get my Key #4, Diagonal Sweet Spot Path better. Continue working on getting the clubhead less inside the hands in the backswing. Want this to get the to the point were it is pretty automatic, and I might need to touch it up once in a while.

2) After getting number (1) down, work on my turn rates in the downswing. Get hips more open at impact, with good extension.

3) Get my short game percentage around 50% up and down rate. The technique is better, just need the reps from different type of lies.

4) Become a great putter from 5 feet and in. I was about 60% last year. I was about 50% from 10-15 feet, so I kinda equaled out a bit there. Still, need to be better on 5 feet and in. Continue working on lag putting as well.

Handicap Goals, currently at a 6.3, I want to be down to a 3 or less by the end of next golf season.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2015 Goal

Maintain a single digit handicap.

Erik asked us to " elaborate on HOW you plan to achieve your goals, " so in order to maintain my single digit handicap, I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing for more than 40 years. Hit balls at the range, practice chipping and putting in my back yard, (my daughter and I built a practice green in 2001), and try to play 2 or more times a week.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

1. Get my handicap to single digits, even if it's only fleeting.

2. Avoid my yearly slump where I completely forget how to play the game.

3. Beat my brother in the majority of our matches (30 years of getting it handed to me is enough)

I plan on reaching these goals by becoming a better student of the game.  I'm going to spend more time learning my own abilities and limitations to cut down on the number of stupid things I do on the course.  I also intend to gain a better understanding of the physics of golf so I can develop potential improvements.

Randal

Well at the beginning of 2014 I had let my game get away from me over the years and my handicap index was up to almost 23.  Lots of reasons including a couple of new knees and a bout with a persistent ear problem (read balance).  But I decided to get serious this last year took some statistics to find where the most leakage was and decided to fix the leaks as best I could.  Here is what the 2013 statistics said.  Over 3 penalty strokes/round, slightly over 4 three putts/round, 15% of green hit/round, number of putts/round just over 37, and almost no up and downs in 2 or less.

Given those numbers I decided to work the short game and tame the driver.  I took lessons to improve the driver performance as that is where the penalty strokes were coming from.  We have a great short game facility at my summer club and I spent a lot of time there this summer and now average over 40% of 1 putts (down in 2 or less) when I miss a green and less than 1 three putt/round.  The late summer statistics were just barely over 1 penalty stroke/ round, and putting average of slightly over 34 strokes/round.  None of this improvement happened overnight but those are my last few weeks of play numbers.   Well my GIR and FIR averages are not much better because I have not worked specifically on those yet but while in the rough a lot I stay in play and while I still miss a lot of greens I am smarter and miss on the correct side more often so I have a chance of up and down.

So my goal for 2015 is to continue this down slide in my handicap index by one, practicing enough to maintain my improvement to date, and two beginning to focus on accuracy of my mid irons, both distance and azimuth.  I also need to improve the driver accuracy in azimuth as I miss too many fairways and while I am staying in play these days, it is a lot more difficult to hit greens out of the rough as opposed to a good tight lie in the fairway.  One way to do that of course is just hit 3 woods (metals) from the tee 100% of the time.   If I can take another 3 to 4 stokes off my handicap this coming year I'll be a happy camper.

Just as as reference for ya'll I did, about 12 years ago, had a  13.x handicap index and I think that is my final goal. Although I don't expect to do that this year.   At my age that might be difficult but not impossible as I can still drive a ball hit the irons an acceptable distance for the "members tees".  If I can remember I'll let you know how it turns out late next year.

Butch

http://thesandtrap.com/t/65993/my-swing-nevets88/160_40#post_1075401

• Continue working on laying down shaft from P4, key #4, make this a natural don't have to think about it occurrence.
  • Make motion more natural. Less emphasis on hitting positions and more fluid, more active lower body while firing arms. Less swinging too carefully.
  • Reduce reliance on video. Videoing too many swings, increase ratio of not video'd swings to video'ed swings.
  • Play more rounds. Too much time on the range.
  • Continue working on feeling slope of greens, work w/digital leveler.
  • Work on wedge game. Wedge swings, hips look like they shift forward on the backswing, looks wrong. Dedicate some online/in person lessons to this and do overall check on wedge play from every possible lie, stance, situation.
  • On nGIRs, reduce pitch/chips to just outside 6 feet, 2 putt, bogey. God I ****ing hate, hate these.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2015 Goals:

1) Avoid back injury with supervised strengthening and stretching exercises

2) Play 40 rounds - played 25 in 2014, never played more than 35

3) Sharpen up my short irons (they are the only ones I still use)

4) Dedicate 50% of my practice to the short game

5) Play 1/2 of my rounds without a penalty stroke

6) Lower my handicap index to between 15 and 16

Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!