IGNORED

What Are Your 2015 Golf Goals? Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2015 goals:

All modest I believe.

• solidify the progress I've made and get it locked in, no more regressing.
  • improve my aimpoint reads which have gotten a little sloppy
  • get over my fear of the driver
  • score consistently under 100 on regulation courses

The first one is going to be addressed by committing to at least 3 range sessions a month over the winter with simulator time thrown in when I get the chance. Mostly full swing work (like 99%) but I'll keep mixing in pump drills and hitting intentional hooks to try to get my un intentional hooks under control. I have my priority piece from Erie that really hasn't changed. Sometimes I regress and need to step back and tune up the backswing but as long as that's relatively decent I can focus all my attention on my priority piece. Even my pump drills are done in a manner that highlights my priority piece.

The second one will have to wait for spring, can't really practice aimpoint on the carpet. I'm going to buy a digital level with slope % capability, I have an aimpoint bubble but since converting 100% to express I think it's worth investing in the digital. My speed and lines are pretty good so I doubt I'll do much putting work over the winter. Putting is a) easy and b) boring.

For the driver I'm just going to try to build on the moderate success I have had towards the end of this season. A lot of it is just confidence, I get too timid with the big stick and try to steer it. My priority piece is impossible to nail if I'm timid, it requires speed and authority. The right mindset goes a long way. I drive the ball best when I'm eager to hit the driver.

The last one will largely take care of itself if I get to work on the first three. Course management will play a role and for that I have LSW to guide me to a smarter game plan.

Bonus points >>> my new job will involve a fair bit of travel, mostly in Canada but I will get to the US much more frequently so I'm hoping to meet more of my TST buds in person, even if it's just for a beer. Golf may not always fit in but maybe...all us die hards have extra sets so ya never know! I can always fit in an hour at the range with any of y'all.

:dance:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

All of my goals revolve around my singular objective to score lower, but since "score lower" makes for a terrible goal, I'll break it down in sections.

2015 Goals:

1. Practice more at golf and hitting shots and make less changes to my swing. There are two aspects of my swing that dramatically hurt my consistency (overtaking rates and overswing) and I've got a pretty good handle on what I need to do. This year I need to spend less time making changes to my swing and more time actually getting it to work on the course. This is my biggest weakness, so I'm making it the top priority.
  2. Improve my putting. It's a glaring weakness (besides my long game contact issues) and I'm going to make it a strength. Particularly my 3-15' putting, because I should be making at least 75% of my 4' putts, and I don't. It costs me strokes. It's stupid to pitch the ball close from nGIR and still 2-putt for bogey. I've already taken AimPoint Express, so I'll have to be diligent about practicing that. Other than that, it's string and yarn drills and clock games and such. Basically just spend more time actually practicing my putting productively. I think I get bored practicing putting because I don't particularly enjoy putting (out of the three major skills, it's my least favorite). Bonus points if I pull the trigger on an Edel putter this year, but I'm not holding my breath.
  3. Improve my driving. I swing fast enough to get some good benefits out of a driver, but I don't make good contact consistently. Even with my irons, I can find the sweetspot pretty well and my miss is more consistent. The driver is all over the place and I hit it all over the face. I know I'm probably wrong about this, but I really do feel like I hit my 3w better than my driver. I'm going to have to revisit my setup and possibly make some swing adjustments just for the driver, if necessary. I might have to get fit properly for a good driver, but this goes in the same folder as the Edel putter.
  4. Get to a 12 handicap. I always post lofty handicap goals, so this one is more reasonable (but still lofty). I still feel like I'm just around the corner from some good scores, and if I make good on goal #1 I'll get there.
  5. Get the wife to start playing. We've been talking about this for a while and I really want to get her going on this. I think it will be more fun for us to do this together, especially on vacation. She used to come with me to the range all the time, so I don't see why she couldn't just start hitting her own clubs.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2015 goals: 1) stay healthy: keep my rotator cuff from acting up again. I'll continue to do exercises and build strength in the surrounding muscles to do so 2) make a swing thread so I can get some solid feedback and begin to work on specific things. I've spent too much time on the range just hitting balls ( I'd actually like to do this before the end of 2014 if I can get some decent videos shot) 3) get comfortable working the ball both ways. I'll do this with lots of work on the range 4) get more confident out of green side bunkers. Again lots of practice time to accomplish this one 5) lower my handicap back near 10. Items 1-4 should get me here! After missing hakf of last season with my injury I already can't wait for winter to end....:-O

I am going to continue a journey of exploration I started with my irons, that being an adjustment to increase control in the shaft length, lie angle relationship where this past year they and the woods were effective, but at the outer limits of size and flatter lie that I can use. I noticed subtle setup tendency issues at address that I want to form the clubs to more naturally address. They will become a midge shorter and a midge more upright, but probably not as much as whatever is standard out there now. My driver will become shorter and more consistent or I will run over it with my lawn mower. My putter is going to aimpoint school.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

No modesty here:

HCP under 9

At least 5 rounds under 80

Competition goal is to promote and win at least 60% of the matches I play

Making the cut of the strokeplay and matchplay championship of my club

Play at least 5 official tournaments (besides the championships)

Play the TST Newport Cup 2015 :w00t:

Allready started training and will continue during the winter for goal number 3 (competition). Might even take some 5 keys lessons if my goals get out of reach.

I am building a plan based on LSW. So my goal is to stictly follow that plan and see what comes from it. I want to make a thread, but still waiting on approval. In short, Swing Speed up, Club Fitting, get to a +1.5 or better and win more than 3 tournaments. Also, finally getting myself a WAGR, which would be making one of three cuts in my Major Events this year. Scoring average in tournaments down to 73.5- 74. Hoping to play 30+ competitive rounds. Use only one box of ProV1's.

2015 goals. 1. To break 90 by May, 85 by end of 2015. I am now in the 98-103 range. I dropped over 15 strokes my first full year trying to be getter. Getting in that 85-90 makes me better than or as good as everyone I play with on a semi regular basis. 2. Fix my driver. Gone a shot (fade/draw) and own it. 3. Multiple birdies In a round. 4. Over 5 GIR in a round

Play smarter golf to eliminate big numbers.

Get my handicap down to atleast 7.0 since that will mean im playing good golf.

Work on swinging from in to out rather than out to in.

Break par.Shot even par twice before now I want to shoot under par.

Win a two day major golf tourney.

During the winter I look to destroy my swing, to obtain better results for the summer!

I am just now starting to hit the ball with confidence but am doing so with bad technique/movements in my swing. I'll need to put the hard work in during the winter to instill good techniques. I expect worse results in the short-term while my body adapts to new movements and ideas.

Getting into the 80's consistently would be a success.

In order:

1) play with more consistency - this means hitting better tee and iron shots. I'm working on this now at the range.

2) learn how to better manage the course - better ball striking is one thing. Making better decisions on the course is another. The combination of the two will lead to lower scores.

3) control my temper on the course after bad shots - all of us make bad shots. Let them go and move onto the next shot.

4) break 90

5) take 10 strokes off my handicap.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1) be able to work my shots all 9 ways when necessary. 2) become a very accurate driver of the ball 3) become a consistent 1.4 HDCP 4) get a top 5 In a major HJGT event 5) win 4 tournaments of any size 6) get low medal in 5 Highschool matches or tournaments 7) shoot 66 8) make an ace 9) make short game my strength with my long game not being a weakness

1) Establish a routine where I can play at least twice a week this summer. My son will have day care on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I teach so I'll have some days free. Last summer I had alot of breaks and never got into a good rhythm.

2) Shoot below 100 for the majority of my rounds

3) Break 45 on 9 holes

4) WASTE LESS STROKES

If I establish number 1 and use that time to work on number 4, goals 2 and 3 shouldn't be a problem. How will I waste less strokes?

I need to work on controlling my driver. Towards the end of this season I started hitting somewhat of a natural draw but still pushed enough balls that I never really played it and just aimed at the middle of the fairway. This spring at the range I will work on hitting a nice controlled draw with driver. If that's not working in the middle of a round, I need to stop being stubborn and hit 3W, 5W or even 4H if needed.

I need to hit the percentage shot in the short game. When I first got my 58* wedge I sticking some sweet shots. I wouldn't have been able to break 100 without it. However, I still have hit enough skulls that lead me to believe I should only use it when necessary. Hit the bump and run more often. I asked for a low bounce 54* wedge for xmas so hopefully my dad hooks it up. My current 54* wedge has 12 degrees of bounce and I can't consistently hit it. I have a shallow swing and play in firm conditions usually.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

1. Have more fun instead of focusing 100% on improvement.

2. Try to even out the strengths and weaknesses a bit.

3. Get to an acceptable level of competence with keys 1 through 3.

4. Increase or at least maintain the flexibility I currently have

How...

1. Attitude adjustment. Just accept that improvement will be slow and it won't come from having a crappy time on the course.

2. Become a bit more structured with practice. Adopt the 65/23/15 practice ratio unless a specific part of the game requires more attention.

3. http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice

4. Stretch

Jon

My 2015 goals are easy but will need to work a lot to make them come true.

I want to play again at least two times a week. Since I moved from Aguascalientes to Mexico City because I finished school, I have to abandon golf cause around here is way too expensive and now that i dn't have someone to support me in that matter, it is all up to me. So I need to work efficiently, get more quality clients and hopefully join a club and meet some more future clients! I really picture myself playing golf everyday with my clients just to keep them in my trail fee (if that makes sense). :-D

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Note: This thread is 3052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!