IGNORED

Par-6 holes!

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 at Cherry Creek Golf Links on Long Island. Not a particularly long hole, or a difficult one. Mostly a vanity hole to put on the card. Plays to 644 from the tips, 612 (usually shorter) from the whites. A decent drive, 3 wood then anything from sand wedge to 8 iron depending on the wind (prevailing wind in season is downwind). The typical demographic of the "average" golfer might struggle if they fade or slice since that is away from the flow of the hole. Straighter hitters can cut over the corner of a retention area (normally dry and playable) to a slightly narrower fairway section. To the yellow dot is maybe 250/260 from the middle of the tee box complex. Green is moderately sloped back to front, but not severely so, but you still don't want to be above the hole if you can help it. I play it as a 5, while my buddies love to have the 6 on there. Gives them an extra stroke when they mess up as usual. I feel 'dirty' marking a birdie when I take a 5. I'll take it, but it doesn't seem right for that hole. To the circle is maybe 250/260 from the middle of the tee complex for a scale reference.

18 at Cherry Creek Golf Links on Long Island. Not a particularly long hole, or a difficult one. Mostly a vanity hole to put on the card. Plays to 644 from the tips, 612 (usually shorter) from the whites. A decent drive, 3 wood then anything from sand wedge to 8 iron depending on the wind (prevailing wind in season is downwind). The typical demographic of the "average" golfer might struggle if they fade or slice since that is away from the flow of the hole. Straighter hitters can cut over the corner of a retention area (normally dry and playable) to a slightly narrower fairway section. To the yellow dot is maybe 250/260 from the middle of the tee box complex. Green is moderately sloped back to front, but not severely so, but you still don't want to be above the hole if you can help it. I play it as a 5, while my buddies love to have the 6 on there. Gives them an extra stroke when they mess up as usual. I feel 'dirty' marking a birdie when I take a 5. I'll take it, but it doesn't seem right for that hole. To the circle is maybe 250/260 from the middle of the tee complex for a scale reference.

I was just about to post this one. Agreed that it's mostly about marketing. It's a fun enough hole but nothing super special.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lakewood Golf Course in Madison ME - 610 Yds. White/660 Yds. Blue

http://www.lakewoodgolfmaine.com/

A little hokey, really just a long par 5

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Check out "The Beast," a 720-yd. Par 6 at Sun Valley Golf Club in Elsberry. MO. http://www.sunvalleygc.com/

Someone who played the course said it's not that bad a hole as long as you can hit a 220-yd. drive to start.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It's a pretty easy (roller coaster - up-down-up) hole to par once I figure out where to place 2nd & 3rd shot.    1st shot is a blind shot in that you can't see the group in front, and can't really tell where your shot will end up (if you are a mid to long hitter).   A big tee shot downhill will make the hole into a short par 5 hole.  Ball can roll forever, more than one's expectation.   The last shot  is a straight up to the green but very doable.   It's unique and fun but I've seen a few confrontations over past balls.

I'll add a third voice to the Lake Chabot par-6.  It's a fun hole - looks more like a ski-slope in summer to me.  It's slightly downhill for about 250 yards, and then it takes a steep dive straight downhill for the next 250-300 yards.  The last 80-90 yards are straight uphill again.  If you can hit it further than 250 on the drive, you've got a chance to get a good bounce and roll down the hill.  If you can hit driver over 260, chances are you could hit 3-wood far enough to actually have a chance at getting on in two.

I only hit about 240, so it almost always takes me at least three and usually four shots to get on the green.  ...and the pin placements on 18 can be evil sometimes -- holes that cozy right up to a slope.

It is blind after about 260 yards too.  I've never seen a confrontation there --- but it does slow the course down a bit.  Long hitters really need to wait for the thing to clear. (Or, send someone from the group to scout out the slope.)

It is blind after about 260 yards too.  I've never seen a confrontation there --- but it does slow the course down a bit.  Long hitters really need to wait for the thing to clear. (Or, send someone from the group to scout out the slope.)

Because people don't wait and hit, there have been some confrontations.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!