IGNORED

Golf Magazine Rules Quiz Question

Missouri Swede
Note: This thread is 1578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Links magazine has an article on top ten rules myths this month

1. You can’t borrow a ball from another player
You may borrow a ball from another player—usually you can even change brands. In some high-level events such as the U.S. Open, a condition requiring all balls to be of the same type may be specified (this is known as the “one-ball rule”). If so, you can still borrow a ball, it just must be of the identical type as the balls you have been playing.

2. You can’t tell another player how far his ball is from the hole
Sprinkler heads, yardage posts, GPS in carts—distances are hardly secret. So in 2008, the Rules were changed to allow the sharing of yardage information without penalty.

USGA 3 3. You must stand inside the teeing ground
Think of it this way: Feet, no; ball, yes. Rule 11-1 requires the ball to be played from within the teeing ground. The player may stand outside the teeing ground when playing from within it.

USGA 4 4. It’s a penalty to reach across the hole and tap your ball into the hole
You can’t push or scrape your ball (Rule 14-1), but it’s okay to reach across the hole to tap it in. And for you real sticklers, it’s also not a violation of Rule 16-1e (Standing Astride Your Line of Putt) as your line of putt ends at the hole.

5. You can only use a coin or ball-marker to mark your ball
Rule 20-1 recommends using a small coin or ball marker, but you actually may use any item you like, including your clubhead, a key—even your finger.

6. A swing and a miss isn’t a stroke
Oh yes it is. The Definition of Stroke is the forward movement of the club with the intention to strike the ball. As long as you were trying to hit the ball, it counts as a stroke even if you miss it.

7. A rub of the green is any bad luck or bad break a golfer encounters during the round
A rub of the green occurs “when a ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by an outside agency.” That means it could be bad luck, but it also could be good. A ball could hit a tree and bounce back into the fairway just as easily as it hits a sprinkler in the fairway and bounces into the rough or out of bounds. Both are considered rubs of the green, and, therefore, part of playing the game.

USGA 8 8. A ball stuck between the flagstick and the edge of the hole is holed
This one may surprise you. By definition, a ball is not holed until all of it is below the lip of the hole. If it is caught between the lip and the flagstick, the Rules allow you to move the flag to see if the ball falls into the hole; if it does, then the ball was holed with the previous stroke. So you might want to practice your flag-pulling technique.

9. If your putt strikes another ball on the green in match play, you lose the hole
It is a penalty, but only in stroke play, where it costs two strokes. According to Rule 19-5a, if this happens in match play, neither player incurs a penalty.

10. If you take relief for an unplayable ball, you are guaranteed a playable lie
It would be nice, but it’s not true. There is nothing in the Ball Unplayable rule that guarantees you a good lie after dropping. The options only allow you the opportunity to escape a difficult situation. Since your ball could roll into another unplayable lie or back into your previous unplayable lie, you should consider your options carefully before selecting one.

For an entire Rules “experience,” which contains many common myths and other background to understanding and properly implementing the Rules, click here.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha! #9 from links magazines 10 myths happened to me last month. I putted from off the green and hit a third party's ball. Saved me from rolling off the green, I was told. I do agree with my opponent, he should have asked the person to mark it. I've actually never heard of #1. I would never think that you couldn't borrow a ball. Are there really tournaments that require you to use all the same ball?

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ha! #9 from links magazines 10 myths happened to me last month. I putted from off the green and hit a third party's ball. Saved me from rolling off the green, I was told. I do agree with my opponent, he should have asked the person to mark it.

I've actually never heard of #1. I would never think that you couldn't borrow a ball. Are there really tournaments that require you to use all the same ball?

Note that #9 says that there is no penalty even if you putt from on the green and hit another ball on the green. I am usually good on the rules but I would have gotten that one wrong.

Ha! #9 from links magazines 10 myths happened to me last month. I putted from off the green and hit a third party's ball. Saved me from rolling off the green, I was told. I do agree with my opponent, he should have asked the person to mark it.

I've actually never heard of #1. I would never think that you couldn't borrow a ball. Are there really tournaments that require you to use all the same ball?

Note that #9 says that there is no penalty even if you putt from on the green and hit another ball on the green. I am usually good on the rules but I would have gotten that one wrong.

Just so this is clear to everyone with regards to the rules, putt or putting is a term we often use to describe a stroke made with a putter. The rules avoid this terminology and talk in terms of a "stroke", and where the ball lay on the course.  So 19-5a does not apply to a person who "putts" his ball from off the green.  Conversely, it does apply in the case where a player used his wedge to play a stroke from the putting surface, to clear protruding fringe for example.

Regards,

John

It is the One Ball Condition of Competition. It is used in most pro events and some high level amateur events. So other 'wannabee' tournaments use it so that people think they must be 'high level'

One Ball Condition

If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and models of golf balls during a stipulated round , the following condition is recommended:

"Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1 )

(i) "One Ball" Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by imsys0042

It is the One Ball Condition of Competition. It is used in most pro events and some high level amateur events. So other 'wannabee' tournaments use it so that people think they must be 'high level'

One Ball Condition

If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and models of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is recommended:

"Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1)

(i) "One Ball" Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

And just to complete the circle, even if this is in effect there is no prohibition against borrowing a ball from another competitor.  IF that other competitor HAPPENS to be using the same brand and model as you are, you are free to borrow one.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Based on my experience manning the practice range at Congressional for the AT&T; a few years back, if you're playing Titleist you've got a pretty reasonable chance that your playing partner (co-competitor to be accurate) will be playing Titleist too, although that rule would prohibit you from changing from a ProV1 to a ProV1x.  This is just an estimate, but I'd guess that 2/3 of the balls hit on the range were Titleist.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 4 years later...

Saw this in the October 2019 issue of GOLF:

946405235_GOLFrulesguy.thumb.jpeg.5f9f8e8d78827622009886306776c6ad.jpeg

My observation is that The Rules Guy missed the pointing out the 2-stroke rule violation that occurred here: rule 15.3 is breached if a player "refuses to lift his or her ball ... when required to do so and a stroke is then made by the other player whose play might have been helped or interfered with."  He pointed out the obligation, but failed to indicate that the sequence of events as described should have been penalized.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• iacas changed the title to Golf Magazine Rules Quiz Question
Note: This thread is 1578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!