IGNORED

A brief history of the swing plane

Note: This thread is 3428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I think that the video simply shows that it's bad in many ways to be stuck prescribing any one model or "plane" to all of your students.

I also don't understand describing the "swing plane" by looking almost exclusively at the backswing. The plane (a big part of Key #4 FWIW) that matters is the downswing plane. Sure, you can screw up your downswing with a horrible backswing, but Ryan Moore, Ray Floyd, etc. all seemed to do okay. The purpose of the backswing is to get the body and club in a position to make a downswing. That's it.

Oliver, welcome to the site. Look forward to your contributions to the discussions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good presentation Two question 1) Hogan's downswing swing plane shifted and different from initial startup plane . Why? 2) Where does Hardy's one plane fit into the assortment of plane theories?

Enjoyed the video, hope to see you again.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Took me a while to get around to this video, but I liked it. Looking forward to part two.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Very informative video. I also, like that you touched upon that many really good golfers have played golf with many different swing planes.

Looking forward to more informative videos.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Very informative video. I also, like that you touched upon that many really good golfers have played golf with many different swing planes.

Looking forward to more informative videos.

Yep, the way he ended it was nice. I think we're all pretty sick of the "one size fits all" wanna-be gurus out there that think that there is only one method or model when clearly that is not the case.

Good job @oliverheuler , now lets see some activity in other threads, join the community, don't just use it as a soapbox.

:beer:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Good presentation

Two question

1) Hogan's downswing swing plane shifted and different from initial startup plane . Why?

2) Where does Hardy's one plane fit into the assortment of plane theories?

1. Hogan thought that you shift the downswing plane to the right. This would make you come into the ball more from the inside. Good idea to try to do that if you come from the outside. Not a good idea if you are neutral or already coming too much from the inside. Hogan himself was neutral coming down and on the flat side going up. So actually he was over the top of his backswing, exactly the opposite of what he preached :-)

2. I left Hardy out because I couldn’t produce anything without bias. He is a very nice guy and he seems to be able to help some tour players. So I can only recommend to ask other pros if you want an overview of his theory.

Good job @oliverheuler, now lets see some activity in other threads, join the community, don't just use it as a soapbox.

I was running the biggest forum in Germany for almost ten years and I respect the rules of other forums. But if my participation requires to write in other threads I'll have to pass. I rather spend my time producing more videos. I wouldn’t abuse the Sandtrap as dumping station though, since I can reply to questions in my threads (as I already did here) or in private messages, but I won’t have the time to keep an eye on more. Writing in English usually takes three times longer compared to German, so I have to prioritize. I hope that is allright but I accept if it is not.

Cheers, Oliver

PS: If I want to post more videos (and if this is welcome) should I do it in this thread or open a new one every time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Good job @oliverheuler, now lets see some activity in other threads, join the community, don't just use it as a soapbox.

I was running the biggest forum in Germany for almost ten years and I respect the rules of other forums. But if my participation requires to write in other threads I'll have to pass. I rather spend my time producing more videos. I wouldn’t abuse the Sandtrap as dumping station though, since I can reply to questions in my threads (as I already did here) or in private messages, but I won’t have the time to keep an eye on more. Writing in English usually takes three times longer compared to German, so I have to prioritize. I hope that is allright but I accept if it is not.

Cheers, Oliver

PS: If I want to post more videos (and if this is welcome) should I do it in this thread or open a new one every time?

No, I don't think it's a requirement. Sorry if it sounded that way, just encouraging you to check out other threads and areas of the site. Welcome to TST, it's a great community, lots of knowledge and cool people.

I don't know, you should ask @iacas or @mvmac . I know it's generally preferred to keep threads to a specific topic, makes it easier to find stuff, but maybe Oliver Heuler is the topic?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

1. Hogan thought that you shift the downswing plane to the right. This would make you come into the ball more from the inside. Good idea to try to do that if you come from the outside. Not a good idea if you are neutral or already coming too much from the inside. Hogan himself was neutral coming down and on the flat side going up. So actually he was over the top of his backswing, exactly the opposite of what he preached :-)

Virtually every good player is over the top of the backswing if you consider the left arm depth, and virtually all have a slightly higher shaft angle at impact than at setup as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree. Especially if you are talking about the hand plane. If you just look at the club head you might find some players that swing down on the same path as they swung up and very few ones that are inside of their backswing. Ronan Rafferty from Ireland (Order of Merit #1 in Europe 1989) comes to mind. Also Eamon Dary and of course Jim Furyk.

Iacas, can you give me advice on how to proceed with new videos?

Note: This thread is 3428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!