IGNORED

Favorite Band of All Time

iacas
Note: This thread is 3130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

What is your favorite band of all time?

Mine is, without a doubt, R.E.M.

I once read that they were the band you "grew up listening to" and that wasn't true for me, entirely. I was turned on to R.E.M. as a teen by a girl (a girl I haven't talked to in nearly two decades, but whom I still consider a friend) and instantly took to all of their stuff at the time, and followed everything that came after.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/reminiscing-on-three-decades-of-rem/?eml=2014December18/2021864/6010969&etsubid;=42771166

I appreciated their irreverence and whimsy, as well as the scope of their sound. They put on a heck of a live show (though the best live performance I ever saw was Natalie Merchant, several R.E.M. shows rank a close second)

In later years also really started to like the band Live (though they may have been a distant second, they were or are probably in second place), and hoped they'd keep it together to see what a 20+ year career for them would be like, but their main singer was apparently a thief or something. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they are "on", there is no finer band in the universe, unfortunately, when they are "off" they can be pretty god-awful.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Van Halen.

There isn't a close second for me.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

RUSH

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I really don't have one. No one band dominates what I listen to. If you narrow it down to period and/or genre, it would be easier to filter down the choices.

REM is awesome, as are The B-52s, 10,000 Maniacs, Talking Heads, The Replacements etc... so many.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steely Dan.  Only because I've read so much and watched so many videos on Walter Becker, Donald Fagen and people who have worked with them over the years.

Both Becker and Fagen were pure genius understand exactly what they wanted on any part of a track and not being satisfied until the perfection they envisioned was realized.

I know Steely Dan isn't for everyone. But if you are a fan, I suggest watching some of the videos that can be found on YouTube.  Especially interesting was the making of the Aja album.  Just incredible insight.  The cast of players on that album alone was the best of the best.  It's astonishing the list of credits the players who end up on their albums amassed.

For example, they hired Michael McDonald to sing all the high harmony parts on the Peg track.  Four-part harmony, all Michael McDonald and it was the toughest singing assignment he'd ever had.  The guitar solo you hear on Peg was the 7th guy, (Jay Graydon) they brought in to play the solo.  Can you imagine that song with anything BUT that guitar solo?  Again, pure genius for having a vision and working until it was realized.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Steely Dan.  Only because I've read so much and watched so many videos on Walter Becker, Donald Fagen and people who have worked with them over the years.

Both Becker and Fagen were pure genius understand exactly what they wanted on any part of a track and not being satisfied until the perfection they envisioned was realized.

I know Steely Dan isn't for everyone. But if you are a fan, I suggest watching some of the videos that can be found on YouTube.  Especially interesting was the making of the Aja album.  Just incredible insight.  The cast of players on that album alone was the best of the best.  It's astonishing the list of credits the players who end up on their albums amassed.

For example, they hired Michael McDonald to sing all the high harmony parts on the Peg track.  Four-part harmony, all Michael McDonald and it was the toughest singing assignment he'd ever had.  The guitar solo you hear on Peg was the 7th guy, (Jay Graydon) they brought in to play the solo.  Can you imagine that song with anything BUT that guitar solo?  Again, pure genius for having a vision and working until it was realized.

dave

Even though there was a revolving cast of musicians pound for pound they were probably the most talented band of the era. What I like most about them is the music ages well. Some of the other stuff I liked back in the day is forever stuck in the high school parking lot due to sophomoric lyrics and a heavy handed musical approach more suited to a younger person. This means you Led Zeppelin.

Dave :-)

Current - Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band, The Brian Setzer Orchestra,

Past - The Beatles, The Eagles (although they are still playing and I saw them in Sept).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm a huge Superchunk fan from my time spent living in Chapel Hill, NC in the 90's.  Other favs include the Beatles, REM, Genesis, Talking Heads.  Individual musicians would include Vienna Teng, Robert Earl Keen and Kathleen Edwards.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Impossible to list only one, so I'll extend it to a few, based on the albums I've listened the most to.

Tool, Porcupine Tree and Opeth.

All within the rock/metal genre, but very different from eachother.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm a big Buffett fan, but I'm going to call him an individual performer, not a band. Put me in the Stones camp.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm liking the amount of love for REM I'm seeing here. I concur with Nevets, it's hard to pick just one. If I had a list, it would have some REM, Crowded House, Teenage Fanclub, Replacements and Pixies on it. If someone held a gun to my temple I'd pick Big Star.

Corey

Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Metallica, Beatles, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Incubus would be my top five favorites but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Linkin Park.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Far too many for me! :(

If someone said "you can only ever listen to one band again; name it!" right here and right now I'd have to go for Iron Maiden.

Van Halen was also a great call @Slice of Life

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I'm a big Buffett fan, but I'm going to call him an individual performer, not a band.

Put me in the Stones camp.

What about the 17 other people on the stage with him when he plays??? :-P My wife and I have been to over 50 of his shows.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!