IGNORED

My Swing (b101)

b101
Note:Β This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Technically 10 years, but only really picked it up again in the last 9 months after 6 years of pretty much nothing.

My current handicap index or average score is: 12.4

My typical ball flight is: Straight with scoring irons, slight fade on lower clubs - particularly irons.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Fade/Slice with the Driver

Just as a bit more info on the above. I've had three lessons in my life, all of which have focused on fundamentals. The most recent two, about seven months ago, changed everything - notably grip, takeaway, over-rotation and not holding the wrists through impact, and I think things are starting to improve. However, I've never had a lesson on the driver, or how to change my setup to accommodate the hardest club in my bag to hit. As a junior, I didn't even use one, opting for a 3 hybrid off the tee. At the moment, when my swing is on, the driver is flying well, but I don't think I get the most out of it. When being 'fitted' for the club (American Golf, so not really fitting...), the guy commented on the high swing speed (105-108mph), but relatively low carry (around 230). I think it's to do with my angle of attack, and have tried changing my setup to sort this, but I just don't feel comfortable hitting up on the ball. Additionally, like many, I hit a fade which can verge on a slice when the timing is off. I'd like to be hitting straighter.

My longest strikes are around the 280 mark, but I'd like to be able to hit 250 consistently. The problem is, I'm just not totally sure what I'm doing wrong - hopefully some of you guys can help!

So that you know where I stand with this, the things I'm currently trying:

• lighter grip pressure (this seems to help)
  • thinking about hitting around the outside of the ball
  • ball further forward in stance (don't like this much...)
  • hip slide - haven't really worked on this as it's a major change, but could this be the missing link?
  • teeing it lower (I know I should tee it high, but I get a lot of shots where the ball comes off the top of the club)

Videos:

I'm currently between golf clubs (hoping to become a member at Hindhead next month) and I plan on getting a few more lessons really focusing on the driving as it correlates massively to my scores.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ben

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag:Β Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@b101

Thanks for posting. Β The only thing that jumped out was your stance seems pretty wide. Β Also you shoulder turn may be a little flat.

A wide stance makes it a bit harder to get your weight forward at impact. Β The screen shot below shows you get your weight forward, but you are almost lunging. Β This may steepen your swing and angle of attack at impact.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@b101

Thanks for posting. Β The only thing that jumped out was your stance seems pretty wide. Β Also you shoulder turn may be a little flat.

A wide stance makes it a bit harder to get your weight forward at impact. Β The screen shot below shows you get your weight forward, but you are almost lunging. Β This may steepen your swing and angle of attack at impact.

Thanks for the reply - I did try making my stance narrower at one point, but I seem to remember being told it was better to have a wide stance with the big stick! Will have a go at that tomorrow and report back - I imagine it would make the shoulder turn in the backswing a bit easier as well.

The flat shoulder turn has been mentioned to me before, so that makes perfect sense. Good spot :)

What's in the bag:Β Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Administrator
Thanks for the reply - I did try making my stance narrower at one point, but I seem to remember being told it was better to have a wide stance with the big stick! Will have a go at that tomorrow and report back - I imagine it would make the shoulder turn in the backswing a bit easier as well.

The flat shoulder turn has been mentioned to me before, so that makes perfect sense. Good spot :)

You read and like LSW, so this thread should resonate with you a bit: .

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

You read and like LSW, so this thread should resonate with you a bit:  ​ .

Absolutely - 1 and 2 are constantly on my list of things to work on as they aren't quite where I would want them to be... certainly not mastered in my opinion! The YouTube videos are really helpful, too.

Absolutely - 1 and 2 are constantly on my list of things to work on as they aren't quite where I would want them to be... certainly not mastered in my opinion! The YouTube videos are really helpful, too.

Halfway through the excellent Stack and Tilt thread and something really clicked when the shoulder turn was mentioned (8m in the video below). Think this will be my focus for tomorrow :-)

Agree with what has been said. Narrow the stance, turn both feet out and focus on Key #1.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Agree with what has been said. Narrow the stance, turn both feet out and focus on Key #1.

Thanks mvmac - will give it a read

Worked on the shoulder turn this morning and really struggled to be honest. Partly as it was freezing - the mat was rock solid and my shoes weren't really gripping - partly due to me finding the changes tough to implement. More shanks today than I've had in about the last 5 months put together! Still, change is probably good... With it being this cold, I didn't risk the range and the driver, but here's one of the nicer 9 iron swings. Really made a difference narrowing my stance and flaring the feet, even if it felt really odd. Let me know if there are any more pointers!

Worked on the shoulder turn this morning and really struggled to be honest. Partly as it was freezing - the mat was rock solid and my shoes weren't really gripping - partly due to me finding the changes tough to implement. More shanks today than I've had in about the last 5 months put together! Still, change is probably good... With it being this cold, I didn't risk the range and the driver, but here's one of the nicer 9 iron swings. Really made a difference narrowing my stance and flaring the feet, even if it felt really odd. Let me know if there are any more pointers!

It's going to take a bit of time to feel natural. Β It took me about a season not to consciously have to flare my feet. Β You should start feeling more "normal" with the changes in a couple of weeks. Β If you have a mirror handy, that is a great way to work on the turn without hitting balls. Β I'm lucky in that I have a gym at work that has big mirrors. Β I spend 10 to 15 minutes before each workout doing mirror work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

It's going to take a bit of time to feel natural. Β It took me about a season not to consciously have to flare my feet. Β You should start feeling more "normal" with the changes in a couple of weeks. Β If you have a mirror handy, that is a great way to work on the turn without hitting balls. Β I'm lucky in that I have a gym at work that has big mirrors. Β I spend 10 to 15 minutes before each workout doing mirror work.

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. Do you practise the turn with resistance or just the same thing over and over? Need to search out a gym thread I think...

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. Do you practise the turn with resistance or just the same thing over and over? Need to search out a gym thread I think...

I use the exercise below to increase core strength and help the shoulder turn. Β It really helps. Β I also do it as a warm up. Β It is a good tool to see where your shoulders are turning with respect to the ground. Β One of our sponsors posted it.

4. One exercise for more flexibility and core strength.

This one move is not going to give you the body of ArnoldΒ Schwarzenegger but it will help in developing flexibility and core strength.

Get in your address position (with the proper posture that you’ve been practicing), hold your 5 iron at either end and lay it behind your neck, across your shoulders. From there, turn into your backswing, while keeping proper posture with a consistent spine angle, and hold the position at the top of your backswing. You should feel your core muscles being engaged at this point.

While you’re in this position, take note of the angle the shaft is in across your shoulders. When you make your downswing, make sure to emulate this same angle when you are at the point of impact. Your hands on either end of the shaft should be in the exact opposite positions that they were when you were at the top of your backswing.

Complete your swing to a balanced follow-through. Do this for 15 minutes a day and you’ll find you’ll have a little more core strength at the beginning of the season and a lot more flexibility.

Then I practice the turn at first, A1 set up to A4 top of the backswing.

Below is also a great drill to do in front of the mirror. Β My instructor Stephan posted it in this thread.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I use the exercise below to increase core strength and help the shoulder turn. Β It really helps. Β I also do it as a warm up. Β It is a good tool to see where your shoulders are turning with respect to the ground. Β One of our sponsors posted it.

Then I practice the turn at first, A1 set up to A4 top of the backswing.

Below is also a great drill to do in front of the mirror. Β My instructor Stephan posted it in this thread.

Great post, thanks - the swing at the end of that video looks perfect so certainly something to aim for!

I'm now away from my clubs for a couple of days, so started doing a little more analysis of my swing. Mostly for my own benefit, but I've always found writing these thoughts down clarifies them better for me - also good to know if they're right! I took the driver swing I first posted a couple of days ago, so mvmac and boogielicious's comments still stand and are totally corroborated by what I see here, I think.

1. Luke Donald comparison

Very similar in stature to me (5'8), so I figured this would be a good place to start. I found two stills seemed the most telling. In the first, at the top of the backswing, I'm a fair way off getting the club horizontal and would say that I've over-rotated my top half. As boogielicious pointed out, the shoulder turn is way too flat and therefore quite inefficient. Additionally, the clubface position is so different to Donald's, mine is directly at the sky - should this change?

In the second still, the poor stance that mvmac pointed out is really evident - feet are too wide apart and my right foot has actually changed position to accommodate the weight shift. That can't be good. I am pleased with the fact that most other parts of my swing look fairly similar. Ok, I haven't got my weight through quite as much as he has, and the left leg isn't as straight, but I hope this will start to improve with the things that have been suggested.

2. Lee Westwood comparison

This was one of the other good ones on the V1 app and highlights one major question I have about head position - his is really far back compared to mine - is this something I should be looking to do? He does have his ball position quite far back, so this may influence it, but to me the weight transfer just looks odd.

As ever, thoughts much appreciated!

@B101,

In the second still, if you draw a line from your chin is to where your belt buckle would be, you will notice a big difference from Luke. Β This is secondary axis tilt. Β His knees are closer together and he is pushing his hips up and forward. Β Narrowing the stance will help, but you also need to work on the axis tilt. Β Luke's angle of attack will more shallow than yours.

I have a similar problem and have been working this with my instructor in my Evolvr lessons.

Below is a good drill that Dave Wedzik posted. Β If you haven't read Lowest Score Wins , I recommend it highly.Β http://lowestscorewins.com/

Notice the extension he gets in the same position as your second set of stills.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I only had a chance to skim but I wanted to comment on one thing: you have not "over-rotated" your upper body.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I only had a chance to skim but I wanted to comment on one thing: you haveΒ notΒ "over-rotated" your upper body.

Ok, that's good to clear up! Is the main thing there then the shoulder turn that hasn't helped?

@B101,

In the second still, if you draw a line from your chin is to where your belt buckle would be, you will notice a big difference from Luke. Β This is secondary axis tilt. Β His knees are closer together and he is pushing his hips up and forward. Β Narrowing the stance will help, but you also need to work on the axis tilt. Β Luke's angle of attack will more shallow than yours.

I have a similar problem and have been working this with my instructor in my Evolvr lessons.

Below is a good drill that Dave Wedzik posted. Β If you haven't read Lowest Score Wins, I recommend it highly.Β http://lowestscorewins.com/

Notice the extension he gets in the same position as your second set of stills.

Thanks as ever for the super speedy response! I have read LSW and enjoyed it a great deal - the secondary axis tilt (didn't know the name) makes sense and the drill looks good, will give it a go when I'm back. The shallower AoA would be desirable, certainly.

Had another chance to get to the range today and saw a few immediate successes with the changes at setup. It helped that I re-read the driving section of LSW on the train yesterday, too! The main thing I noticed was how much further I could get the shaft back on the backswing as a result of narrowing and closing my stance whilst flaring my feet - thanks @mvmac ing on deepening the shoulder turn, as well as the power move that @boogielicious posted, but I fully expect these to take longer. Interestingly, with the couple of changes I've made already, I was able to go back to the higher tee that I had previously had to abandon.

One of the things I'm really not happy about though is what my right foot is doing - perhaps I've closed my stance too much? It was very foggy and quite slippery on the mats, so that didn't help, but I doubt it should be moving that much! Additionally, you'll notice the ball is now starting more to the left, which I like - can't tell if it's fading much due to the light. Videos below as per - the first was from the start of the session, the second from the end.

I have a lesson tomorrow as well and have asked to go on a launch monitor to get the numbers for a bit more analysis - I imagine (hope) he'll back up what you guys have said already :-) .

Note:Β This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!