IGNORED

Walking On @ Baylor? Now TTU?

maderman23
Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm about to enroll at Baylor University, I have a +1.7 USGA handicap, and for being a National Hispanic Merit Scholar, and getting a 1300 Superscore on my SAT, I'm receiving quite a bit in scholarships from Baylor. So now, my question is, should I try to walk-on and be a part of Mike Mcgraw's team by my sophomore year? Or am I shooting for the moon and barely getting past the Empire State Building?

I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. I don't know much about college golf, but I'd imagine with a +1.7 index, you'd have a solid chance. Worse case scenario, you try out and don't make it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give it a shot but you can always go to a different school or even a div 2 with a competitive golf program.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

A +1.7 handicap? I don't see any reason you wouldn't at least have a shot.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It can't hurt to try.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

If you can balance it with your studies, and its something you always wanted to do, give it a try.

You don't want to ever look back in a few years and say man, I wish I had given it a try.

But consider, if you make it, given travel, practice, etc. if you have expectations of a smoking high GPA too it may not be realistic if you play serious golf at the same time.

I tried it and washed out in qualifying, best thing that ever happened to me. I wasn't as good as I thought I was, so after giving it a try it was easy to move on to something else.

My buddies played, they were smart guys, with all the classes they missed travelling they worked hard just to pull Bs and Cs. And this was at a state school and they wanted to be golf pros, so academically their path was probably a lot easier than what yours will be at Baylor :-)

Steve

If you can balance it with your studies, and its something you always wanted to do, give it a try.

Good point. What's your major?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

So I'm about to enroll at Baylor University, I have a +1.7 USGA handicap, and for being a National Hispanic Merit Scholar, and getting a 1300 Superscore on my SAT, I'm receiving quite a bit in scholarships from Baylor. So now, my question is, should I try to walk-on and be a part of Mike Mcgraw's team by my sophomore year? Or am I shooting for the moon and barely getting past the Empire State Building?

What is the relevance of the bits I have put in red?

And ..... why are you asking advice from people you do not know who have not seen you play? Surely you need to talk to the people in their golf program.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What is the relevance of the bits I have put in red? And ..... why are you asking advice from people you do not know who have not seen you play? Surely you need to talk to the people in their golf program.

You have a great point, I have contacted Coach McGraw about it, so we'll see.

I'm going to be attempting to make in Civil Engineering, and if I have the time and the grades, minor in Psychology.

You can try it. Not going to be easy to make the time work. [SPOILER=Mechanical-on-Civil Ribbing!]Then again, it's just civil engineering. Shouldn't be too bad. Right, @Golfingdad ? :-P[/SPOILER]

In my bag:

You can try it. Not going to be easy to make the time work.

Yep, that'll be hard to balance. And I know your handicap is good, but Division 1 golfers in leagues like the Big 12 are good, really really good. You won't be able to skate through the golf without working full-time on it like any other athlete.

I'm sure you already thought of these questions but some thoughts to ask the coach.

---How many spots on the team are open?

---Is the traveling squad competition open or are any players guaranteed spots?

---Any tutor help provided free? Especially engineering tutors?

Steve

The problem with my handicap is that it would be better if I didn't have tournament rounds in there. I shoot under par consistently at the Texas Tech Golf Course when there's no pressure, but when tournaments are played I shot roughly in the mid-high 70s, so that's a mental game problem that I think I have fixed, but I won't know till golf season starts back up.

You do realize that the whole point of collegiate golf is that of highly competitive tournament golf, right....? ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You do realize that the whole point of collegiate golf is that of highly competitive tournament golf, right....? ;-)

And I completely understand that, that's why I've been mainly working on my mental game, so as to ensure that I can carry over my momentum from my practice rounds to highly competitive tournament golf. And I know that I have it down now, since in my last tournament I shot a 70 to take second.

You can try it. Not going to be easy to make the time work. [SPOILER=Mechanical-on-Civil Ribbing!]Then again, it's just civil engineering. Shouldn't be too bad. Right, @Golfingdad ? :-P[/SPOILER]

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That's a fake laugh, btw)

it honestly doesn't have a lot to do with just your handicap.  Did you compete.. and WIN local tournaments yet? its a different world in collegiate golf.  There is a lot of gamesmanship too when you start the college level that some guys arent ready for.....you can do anything you want, but its more about experience WITH your scoring average...  if you can score like it sounds like you can as long as you can handle pressure in tournaments and know what it is like to WIN on low levels, you will be fine.  Not ever winning anything..... it may be tough....  but you can still do it if you work hard.  Good luck man, hope it goes great for you and you make it.

Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!