IGNORED

Ping G2

muskegman
Note: This thread is 7064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went and hit the G2 tonight at Pro Golf Discount. It has a 460cc head and boy does is it look gigantic. I will limit my comments because of my limited skill.

I felt like I was able to really feel the position of the head through the hitting area and thought that the ball came off the face very hot. It was easy for me to "see" the face though the swing which I liked. I have yet to try it at the driving range or on course.

It was very easy to align because of the top line of the face and painted ball (very light) on top.

I would like to start putting together a better club combination. This club would get my consideration although it might illicit some snyde remarks from playing partners because it's the size of the small island nation, Cuba.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would like to start putting together a better club combination. This club would get my consideration although it might illicit some snyde remarks from playing partners because it's the size of the small island nation, Cuba.

Golf's all about confidence and your driver should be a club you're confident in if you want to get better. When you're 300+ yards pure down the middle of the fairway the only snide remark you'll be getting is, " where can I get one of those?"

I hit the G2 a while back and I liked it a lot. I'll echo your comments about the hot face, and I also thought it was very easy to get the ball up in the air. Don't feel bad about the big head size, it translates into a bigger sweet spot so you won't have to hit it dead center each time. Also, I'd say it's a real value at just $300 brand new, few other drivers are anywhere near that price point. If you're interested in other drivers, I'd suggest looking into the TMade R5, King Cobra 454, Callaway Great Big Bertha II 415. Definately try and find somewhere to fit you, if you decide on the PING get fitted by one of their certified retailers (they should have you hit a bunch of clubs with varying lofts, lies, and shaft flexes with impact tape to see which one benefits you the most). No matter what driver you choose, with all the varying head sizes, lofts, shafts, and shaft flexes, definately try before you buy. If possible plunk down the $5 for a demo and be sure you're happy with it. I wouldn't trust a launch monitor in a store.

So you are saying that stores will allow you (for a minimal fee) to take a demo club out to the course or to a driving range without actually purchasing it? That would be helpful.

Yes, confidence is everything and I felt good about this club's set-up and cost. I look foreword to trying out different lofts and shaft combinations. I would like to find a driver that suits me well as good driving puts you in a good position to score well.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So you are saying that stores will allow you (for a minimal fee) to take a demo club out to the course or to a driving range without actually purchasing it?

Definately, there has to be a store, driving range, or pro shop somewhere near you that has this sort of program. Take a look here:

PING Try to find an outdoor retailer and they'll definately let you hit some balls on a real driving range to figure out which club fits best for you. PING really does a great job of giving everyone of their customers a true custom fit without costing a single extra penny.

Try your local course too. They will usually let you borrow a club for a round as long as you leave them your credit card. Great way to test it out.

The G2 is a great club. I haven't had the pleasure of hitting it myself, but I've heard many people speak only good things about it. It would be a great choice.

Take a good look at the Taylor Made r5. That is also a wonderful club, and very large, although I don't think it is quite 460 cc's.

Note: This thread is 7064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!