IGNORED

2015 Sony Open Discussion Thread

tiptv
Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.pgatour.com/expert-picks/2015/01/13/sony-open-in-hawaii.html

Expert Fantasy selections Projected winner
SEAN MARTIN
PGATOUR.COM Writer
Jason Day, Chris Kirk
Brendon Todd, Jimmy Walker
Brendon Todd
Back-to-back top-20s at this event for Todd, and he's coming off a solid start at Kapalua, where he finished T8 after breaking par in all four rounds.
HELEN ROSS
PGATOUR.COM Writer
Jason Day, Russell Henley
Charles Howell III, Jimmy Walker
Jimmy Walker
I'm not exactly going out on a limb with these four. Howell is the tournament's third-leading money winner while the other three are red-hot after finishing third or better last week. Look for Walker to close the door this week in his title defense.
JONATHAN WALL
Equipment Writer
Jason Day, Charles Howell III
Chris Kirk, Jimmy Walker
Chris Kirk
Has posted two top-5s at the event in the last two years, including a runner-up finish in 2014. Coming off a course record-tying 62 at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, you have to like his chances.
BRIAN WACKER
PGATOUR.COM Writer
Russell Henley, Charles Howell III
Chris Kirk, Zach Johnson
Zach Johnson
He's won there before and his game is perfectly suited for a narrow course with small greens. He also has a history of playing well at courses he has won on in the past.
AMANDA BALIONIS
Host, Trending on TOUR
Jason Day, Tony Finau
Russell Henley, Chris Kirk
Russell Henley
After slowing down a bit on the weekend in Kapalua, this week the past champion puts his foot on the gas and doesn't let up.
MARK CARNEVALE
PGA TOUR Radio
Tony Finau, Charles Howell III
Chris Kirk, Russell Knox
Chris Kirk
Coming off the stellar finish at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, he's high on confidence with the new putting grip. Throw in that he finished 2nd in 2014, and T5 in 2013. He's your man.
MIKE McALLISTER
Managing Editor
Matt Every, Charles Howell III
Chris Kirk, Ryan Palmer
Charles Howell III
My annual pick to win the Sony Open. In 13 trips, he has eight top-10s but has yet to win at Waialae. This is the year, CH3!
ROB BOLTON
Fantasy Columnist
Jason Day, Zach Johnson
Chris Kirk, Jimmy Walker
Zach Johnson
Assuming everyone else will burn a start on CH3. Given my position, it warrants bypassing the horse and sticking with the heaviest lumber.
JOHN SWANTEK
Host, LIVE@
Sang-Moon Bae, Russell Henley
Charles Howell III, Kevin Na
Russell Henley
Impressive T3 at TOC on the wings of 5 straight birdies to close final round, the same finish he produced to take the title in Honolulu in 2013.
D.J. PIEHOWSKI
Digital Producer
Jason Day, Russell Henley
Zach Johnson, Jimmy Walker
Jason Day
I've been abysmal in the early going this year and I'm getting back on track with four horses at Sony. Day is back at Waialae after shooting 62 on Monday and the course should fit him perfectly.
golfer-150

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Brian Wacker"?? And he's a golfer? Perfect name!!

Looking forward to seeing Tony Finau.

Yep, me too. Gonna be interesting to see how Tony does..Pullin for  JW, but Jason Day, may just sneak out a win, IF, he plays like he did on Monday... :-D

After the stunning scenery of Kapalua, this course is kind of dull.  They can't really hide the fact that it is in a crowded neighborhood and relatively flat.  It's not easy by any means.  But visually not that great.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Zach Johnson's putting aid.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

After the stunning scenery of Kapalua, this course is kind of dull.  They can't really hide the fact that it is in a crowded neighborhood and relatively flat.  It's not easy by any means.  But visually not that great.

This may sound weird, but I actually prefer the coverage of this course to Kapalua.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

LOL! The title of this thread reminds me of how long it usually takes for one to stop writing previous year's number on the check at the beginning of the year.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

LOL!

The title of this thread reminds me of how long it usually takes for one to stop writing previous year's number on the check at the beginning of the year.

Corrected. Thanks!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

John Daly shot 71 the first day.  Hope he makes the Sony cut.

And John starts the day off triple then bogey to get to +5, he will not be playing on the weekend

Players play, tough players win!

Sounds like some of my bad rounds. Lol

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

[IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/112188/width/640/height/1000[/IMG ] Anyone else thinking of this---> http://www.madmadmadmadworld.com/the-movie/ Or am I dating myself and bad taste in comedies?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Wow, they just gave the news that Robert Allenby was kidnapped, beaten, and robbed last night from a bar. He missed the cut and was having drinks a a bar when it happened.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

Wow, they just gave the news that Robert Allenby was kidnapped, beaten, and robbed last night from a bar. He missed the cut and was having drinks a a bar when it happened.

Saw that on the online GC site....That SUX...I was a big fan of his in the late 90's and early 2000's...Hope they find the scumbag/scumbags that did this.

Web Simpson's transition from long to short putter is astounding. He obviously spent a great deal of time in the off season on the practice putting green. Was also funny to hear him say he snapped the shaft on his belly putter so he would't be tempted to pick it up again.

Web Simpson's transition from long to short putter is astounding. He obviously spent a great deal of time in the off season on the practice putting green. Was also funny to hear him say he snapped the shaft on his belly putter so he would't be tempted to pick it up again.

Yea his stroke looks pretty natural doing it. I also gotta say Jimmy Walker has a bad a$$ swing, tempo is awesome and he putts pretty good to.

Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!