IGNORED

2015 NCAA Football

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Getting pumped up for the start of the college football season :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anybody watch the Boston College - Notre Dame game from Fenway last night?

I didn't buy the Alvarez-Cotto pay-per-view fight, HBO was showing Fifty Shades of Gray, so I watched the game.  The Eagles have the worst offense in the country and Doug Flutie had to watch it from the broadcast booth. Too bad because the Irish were ripe for the taking last night.

I used to go to the Patriots games at Fenway Park fifty years ago. The Pats used to put up a  temporary grandstand against the left field wall that wasn't used last night. That's about 6000 seats that they must not have thought they'd be able to sell for the game.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

If anybody thought that Ezekiel Elliott had a chance of winning the Heisman trophy, after his rant last night....   I agree that the coaching staff cost OSU the game but that stuff should stay in house not on social media.  

An attitude like that will not go well with the selection committee and voters.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

So glad to see the over-ranked Buckeyes exposed. I mean wow. The FACTS are just so telling:

1. OSU's first game of the season against a ranked team. Very few top 10 have that honorable stat.

2. They lost at home.

3. MSU didn't have their QB.

Buckeyes, done.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@RGoosen, it wasn't a heart attack. It was stress related and dehydration. If you actually knew what you were talking about you might do a bit of research on it. Also, he got away from the game because of family reasons as well. Which is very admirable that he wanted to get more life balance and get some of his family life back. 

7 hours ago, dennyjones said:

If anybody thought that Ezekiel Elliott had a chance of winning the Heisman trophy, after his rant last night....   I agree that the coaching staff cost OSU the game but that stuff should stay in house not on social media.  

It wasn't a rant. It was honest truth. Elliot did deserve more than 11 carries the whole game. 9 of which came on one of the scoring drives. So yea, the coaching staff were idiots last night. They had no trust in the offensive line to pass block. That was evident by OSU making JT do boot legs and moving the pocket in the first series. Basically the coaching staff was going to try to play field position and win with their defense and that didn't work out. 

Elliot is right that the coaching staff doesn't stick with what works. Compare last night's game to the Nat. Championship game from last year. OSU ran the ball all over Oregon, running a lot the same plays over and over again because they worked. You find something that works, you run it till they stop you. This year, it seems they will do a drive where they keep running plays that works then try to get cute with the play calling and kill all their momentum. I have no clue, but losing our O-coordinator to Houston has hurt our offense more than I thought it would. 

I have no issue with Elliot speaking his mind. Urban does in front of media. He had it pegged in the post game interview, they got beat at the line of scrimmage. That is how OSU lost the game. 

In the end I think the players just don't have the motivation they did like last year. The WR's are clearly not as good as last year. The O-line took a huge step back from last year. 

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So glad to see the over-ranked Buckeyes exposed. I mean wow. The FACTS are just so telling:

There is a difference between over-rated and undeserving. Was OSU over-rated, I don't think so.  The reason being the returned a ton of their team from a team that rolled on Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. How can you say a team is over-rated when they have proven they can compete with the best and returned that many.  

Was OSU undeserving of being in the top 5, sure. I can agree with that. They haven't looked the part all year.  

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Buckeyes, done.

Not really ;)

Let's say Clemson and Alabama win out. That leaves two spots. Let's see what happens with the following, 

MSU loses to PSU
OSU beat Mich
OSU beats Iowa

In the AP that knocks off two people ahead of Ohio State right there. So at worst they are 6th. OU or OSU from the big 12 will lose one more game. You have ND who has to play Stanford as well. 

So you have this situation

Clemson
Alabama
OU
Ohio State, Baylor, Florida

If Florida is going to get into the top 4 then they would have to beat Alabama. That would knock them out because they would have 2 losses.  With how the committee devalues the Big 12 because of not having a conference championship game I doubt they would put in two. Especially Baylor who got spanked by OU already. 

Ohio State isn't done, only if MSU takes care of business next week. God I love college football ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Can't really criticize OSU as having been over rated considering that was the nearly unanimous prevailing idea last year and that they were undeserving of a playoff spot.  Then they went and proved everybody wrong who doubted them.

That said, they are on the outside looking in for now.

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Can't really criticize OSU as having been over rated considering that was the nearly unanimous prevailing idea last year and that they were undeserving of a playoff spot.  Then they went and proved everybody wrong who doubted them.

That said, they are on the outside looking in for now.

I can understand the OSU haters from mid 70's till 2002 when they didn't win a Nat. Championship. I understand that people complain about the PI call against Miami in the 2002 Nat. Champ. Game. 

Side note, it wasn't pass interference. The ball was tipped at the line ;) That is all part of sports anyways :) 

The issue now is, they can't say the same things. Besides the lack of a tough schedule (though the B10 did well last year in the bowl games, so it weakens the schedule argument a bit) they beat down on three really good teams to win a Nat. Champ. They left no doubt in the minds of the doubters after last year. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

In the wake of the Michigan State disaster, I'm somewhere between bargaining and depression in the 5 stages of loss. Even with the string of dodgy results against dodgy opponents, I really thought the Buckeyes would answer the bell against Sparty. That just didn't happen.

Nothing left except the TTUN game and the I Don't Give a F*** Bowl. Then nine months to try to set things right for next year.

https://streamable.com/d5c5?t=0.0
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14242833

Two of my favorite plays from the game, both by same bad man Joey Bosa. The guy is a beast. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 11/22/2015, 7:51:23, Vinsk said:

Buckeyes, done.

Jeez - reading the first page, I had to assume those guys were talking about a real team, Oklahoma state.  That said, the championship is a joke at 4 teams.  Needs to be 8 so the winners of each of the 5 major conferences sends their champ.  Baylor and TCU were so screwed last year.

so who's on top so far?  Iowa (or Mich St), Oklahoma, Alabama (even if Florida wins), Clemson (or UNC, maybe not even if UNC wins)

Bill - 

11 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Jeez - reading the first page, I had to assume those guys were talking about a real team, Oklahoma state.  That said, the championship is a joke at 4 teams.  Needs to be 8 so the winners of each of the 5 major conferences sends their champ.  Baylor and TCU were so screwed last year.

so who's on top so far?  Iowa, Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson (Mich St with a good chance to take one of them?)

I am good with 8. Though I would say that the next 3 after the top 5 should be decided by the committee. The committee shall determine the seeding. 

This way if you have 11-0 team go down to an 9-2 team, the 11-1 team is not snubbed because they happen to lose the last game. If an 11-0 team loses to a 7-4 team, then maybe they should drop out enough. 

That also allows ND to get in being independent. If they are in the top 8, they have a viable shot at one of those three open slots. 

On Baylor and TCU, tell the Big 12 to get enough teams to have a conference championship. It hurt them when you the Big 12 is saying, "Hey look at these two teams". When Ohio State stomped Wisconsin in an extra game they got to play. It really made it easier for the committee to pick Ohio State. 

I was talking to my co-worker today. I am wondering if the conferences will add an extra game for the 3rd and 4th best teams. Example, maybe Ohio State would play Northwestern. This way they are not sitting idle when they do have a 22% (so says the odds makers) of making the playoffs ;) 

Here is how I would list the teams, 

Alabama
Clemson
OU
Michigan State
Ohio State
Stanford
Notre Dame
Florida State
Baylor
TCU
Michigan
Iowa
North Carolina

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

10 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

so who's on top so far?  Iowa (or Mich St), Oklahoma, Alabama (even if Florida wins), Clemson (or UNC, maybe not even if UNC wins)

Two spots are already locked up - Oklahoma (because their season is over) and the Big 10 champ.  If Clemson and Alabama win then the decision is super easy but if one of them loses then it becomes more complicated.  Stanford would be the one to gain if either of those two fall hard this weekend.

I don't think anybody else has any shot at the playoffs (except I guess maybe NC if they win BIG)

I wish we would just go to a full playoff system like FCS. The four team thing is better but still not good enough. 

My guess at the four: Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama, Iowa. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Stanford would be the one to gain if either of those two fall hard this weekend.

I don't think anybody else has any shot at the playoffs (except I guess maybe NC if they win BIG)

Not entirely sure. The thing that helped OSU last year was having the same number of loses and playing that extra game. Does the extra loss by Stanford negate that extra game they play or make it a tougher decision? 

Also, they still have to play a USC team that can be very dangerous. By ESPN's Football Power Index USC is actually a 1 point better team. Stanford after that big win could find themselves in a very tough matchup. Actually ESPN has USC having a 52% chance of winning that game. 

My biggest hope is that 

North Carolina over Clemson in an ugly low 20's game. 
USC over Stanford
Michigan State over Iowa

That would leave it, 
Alabama, OU, Michigan State, and (Ohio State, Iowa, North Carolina)

I think in this situation Ohio State has a good shot because their only loss is to Michigan State in crappy 25-30 mph rainy weather. I think the possibility of a rematch would make it very intriguing. 

The other, and less likely scenario would be Florida over Alabama, and North Carolina over Clemson. That would pretty much get Ohio State in. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Not entirely sure. The thing that helped OSU last year was having the same number of loses and playing that extra game. Does the extra loss by Stanford negate that extra game they play or make it a tougher decision? 

Also, they still have to play a USC team that can be very dangerous. By ESPN's Football Power Index USC is actually a 1 point better team. Stanford after that big win could find themselves in a very tough matchup. Actually ESPN has USC having a 52% chance of winning that game. 

My biggest hope is that 

North Carolina over Clemson in an ugly low 20's game. 
USC over Stanford
Michigan State over Iowa

That would leave it, 
Alabama, OU, Michigan State, and (Ohio State, Iowa, North Carolina)

I think in this situation Ohio State has a good shot because their only loss is to Michigan State in crappy 25-30 mph rainy weather. I think the possibility of a rematch would make it very intriguing. 

The other, and less likely scenario would be Florida over Alabama, and North Carolina over Clemson. That would pretty much get Ohio State in. 

Of course. I thought it was a given that for Stanford to even be mentioned it's because they beat USC.  Obviously they're immediately out with a loss.

I think OSU is hurt not only by being out of their conference champ game but by being behind both participants.  They can't fill the spot if the favored team loses because that spot goes to the other team.  But your scenario is certainly plausible, I wouldn't 100% count them out yet.

BTW, for funsies; if Michigan didn't blow that punt, would you guys have won your division?

15 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

BTW, for funsies; if Michigan didn't blow that punt, would you guys have won your division?

OSU beats Michigan
Michigan beats MSU
MSU beats OSU

3-way tie they overall, since the only loses was to each other. 

1. The records of the 3-tied teams compared against each other. Which is 1-1.
2. The records of the 3-tied teams compared within their own division. Which is 5-1. 
3. The records of the 3-tied teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish. Which is 4-0.
4. The records of the 3-tied teams will be compared against all common conference opponents. Which is 1-0, both Michigan and Ohio State beat Minnesota.
5. The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big Ten regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game.

This one is a tad difficult. Assuming this scenario stays the same. Such that OSU beat Michigan and that would clearly drop them lower since it's this late in the season. I could see it being similar to the AP poll, MSU being ahead of OSU would put them in the Big Ten Title game. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!