IGNORED

Would You Rent Your Clubs?

Frank19
Note: This thread is 3352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would You Rent Your Clubs for Extra Cash?

• Yes
    • Hell No!

I scrub my clubs with soap and water after every time I use them, including driving range sessions (clean the face and get the green mat residue off). Same for any golf balls I find or use. So, no, nobody is using my clubs without me. That said, when my girlfriend visits and plays golf with me, I let her use any clubs in my bag she wants because she isn't a fan of the set I have for her to borrow (neither am I). She mostly schleps around that set because the courses insist everyone have clubs of their own (annoying).

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, the risk of damage is not worth the reward. That said, if I ever buy a new set of clubs down the road, I think that keeping my old clubs and renting them out for a modest fee sounds like a fine idea.

No, I would not. Maybe some old clubs, but I don't see it as a way to make much money anyways.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

No and can't see why considering most courses rent clubs. At my home course they have TM RocketBladez nice top to bottom. My concerns would be all the bad lies. I have to be careful during my own rounds. Last year I hit a crap drive followed by an equally bad second shot on a funky dogleg par 5 and end up under a pine next to a big root. Attempted the hero recovery punch out with a 4 hybrid I had just bought a coupe days before. Blam big nick on the leading edge from a rock I didn't see. Every time I pulled it out after my eye went right to the pea sized silver spot.

Honestly I usually don't like even letting people try my clubs when I am present. I know guys that never put a head cover on their drivers and they are beat to hell. I can't stand marks on the crown. Shortly after I bought my Bombtech Grenade someone asked to try it and I reluctantly agreed. We play from different tees and our carts parted ways after the tee shots. Sure enough there is my new Grenade banging around in his bag because he just tossed the cover in the cart basket.

Dave :-)

...would you rent your clubs? Seems like there are peer-to-peer online marketplaces popping up everywhere but not sure how well this one will be received.

Possibly, but a couple of questions:

1) Cost for renting my clubs?

2) What are the logistics for picking up and returning the clubs?

My wife and I have rented clubs recently while on vacation in Hawaii and Mexico, and in both instances the courses that we played had very nice rental sets. In fact, I was kind of amazed that there were no problems getting clubs because my wife is left-handed. The clubs we were able to rent were TM Rocketballz and SpeedBlades, as well as Nike Coverts.

I have 7 sets of clubs at home. I could very easily rent out 4 sets - two old sets that I own (both men's RH), an old set my daughter used in high school (mens' RH), and an old set of my wife's (ladlies LH). However, I wouldn't rent my summer clubs, my winter clubs, or my wife's clubs.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Gamers?  No way.  I've loaned out "retired" clubs and they have always come back beat up.  I used to experiment a lot and I have lots of clubs that no longer have any resale value. I like walking down the line at the driving range and if I see someone with a really old crap driver, I will give them one the "retirees".  I love the responses and looks of bewilderment!   "Dude, are you serious?" :-D

• Upvote 1

For the right amount of money, sure. I have a starter set of irons and hybrid but my woods are TM R11s's. The other day I was at Lowe's and saw they rent tools. Not sure what they go for and what their policy is if you damage them but if I could make a pretty penny renting out my clubs, is look into how they do it and see if it'd work for club renting.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

For the right amount of money, sure.

I have a starter set of irons and hybrid but my woods are TM R11s's.

The other day I was at Lowe's and saw they rent tools. Not sure what they go for and what their policy is if you damage them but if I could make a pretty penny renting out my clubs, is look into how they do it and see if it'd work for club renting.

They rent by the hour or rather by 2-3 hour blocks as well as by day, at least Home Depot does and use brands like Milwaukee/Bosch, so probably can take a beating. Some parts, like blades, you have to supply/buy, so less wear and tear. If it breaks during normal use, it's covered by damage protection.

If I rent clubs, I know I can use them during the night at the range. Not sure how the neighbors would view me using the jackhammer or chainsaw at 8pm, ha ha.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

For the right amount of money, sure. I have a starter set of irons and hybrid but my woods are TM R11s's. The other day I was at Lowe's and saw they rent tools. Not sure what they go for and what their policy is if you damage them but if I could make a pretty penny renting out my clubs, is look into how they do it and see if it'd work for club renting.

@nevets88 pretty much nailed it. Tools are designed to take abuse. I dropped a reciprocating saw 12' once and did no damage to it. Most people break them because they burn out the motor inside. Golf clubs are most certainly not designed to handle the abuse people can dish to them. It's very easy to bend a steel shaft and break a graphite one. I wouldn't rent any clubs I cared about unless there was a really good insurance policy involved, but even then it probably wouldn't cover abuse and you'd be stuck pursuing individuals for the damage. Good luck with that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I currently own several sets of irons and woods:

Hogan Apex 3 - PW irons - I will probably never use them on a regular basis again as they are blades but I doubt anyone else would want to rent them

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons 4 - AW - will rent out

TaylorMade CBG R7 irons 4 - AW - will rent out

TaylorMade R9 4 - PW irons 4 - AW - will rent out

Ping G25 4 - AW - will rent out

Mizuno MX23 - currently in play will not rent out

Cleveland CG Black drivers (9 and 10.5 degrees), 3 wood - will rent out

Ping G5 10.5 driver, 3 wood and 5 wood - will rent out

TaylorMade R9 10.5 driver, 3 wood and 5 wood - will rent out

TaylorMade RBZ 10.5 driver - will rent out (will give away!)

TaylorMade Burner Superfast 3 and 5 wood - will rent out

Ping G15 10.5 driver and 4 wood - currently play will not rent out

I also have many wedges, hybrids and putters - too many to list out.

Frankly though I doubt any of the clubs would ever rent for enough money to justify the trouble.

The only clubs that are of any real value trade in value are the Ping G25 irons.

They rent by the hour or rather by 2-3 hour blocks as well as by day, at least Home Depot does and use brands like Milwaukee/Bosch, so probably can take a beating. Some parts, like blades, you have to supply/buy, so less wear and tear. If it breaks during normal use, it's covered by damage protection. If I rent clubs, I know I can use them during the night at the range. Not sure how the neighbors would view me using the jackhammer or chainsaw at 8pm, ha ha.

[quote name="billchao" url="/t/79453/would-you-rent-your-clubs/0_100#post_1098129"] @nevets88 pretty much nailed it. Tools are designed to take abuse. I dropped a reciprocating saw 12' once and did no damage to it. Most people break them because they burn out the motor inside. Golf clubs are most certainly not designed to handle the abuse people can dish to them. It's very easy to bend a steel shaft and break a graphite one. I wouldn't rent any clubs I cared about unless there was a really good insurance policy involved, but even then it probably wouldn't cover abuse and you'd be stuck pursuing individuals for the damage. Good luck with that.[/quote] Well, that's why I said I'd have to see what their policy is if you damage their equipment. It's irrelevant to the my argument how easy or difficult it is to damage the equipment because we're talking about someone agreeing to rent my clubs regardless of what my terms and conditions are.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!