IGNORED

Anger Management on a golf course - What is your key?

Yukari
Note: This thread is 3347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw Tebow. He was kidding throwing his club. Morning drive is good for people like me out of work! :) its a mindless golf show, and of course silly like most of these "morning talk shows"(Gary is a bit over-the-top..I was surprised he was a good bball player..nice form he has!).  I see several of the people on the show playing around courses where I live. I see Rich Learner playing with his kids occasionally. He isn't good! :)...

I saw Tebow. He was kidding throwing his club. Morning drive is good for people like me out of work! :) its a mindless golf show, and of course silly like most of these "morning talk shows"(Gary is a bit over-the-top..I was surprised he was a good bball player..nice form he has!).  I see several of the people on the show playing around courses where I live. I see Rich Learner playing with his kids occasionally. He isn't good! :)...

That was some drive by Tebow

Getting so mad that clubs get thrown etc. is counterproductive and unhealthy.  I literally had the point driven home one day.  I was having a horrible round until i came to 17, an uphill par 5 into the wind.  I crushed a drive, laid up perfectly and had a wedge at the perfect distance.  I thought maybe i'll hit it close and salvage something out of this round.

Didn't happen.  Laid the sod over it.  i took a swing at the cart with my wedge.  The wedge wrapped around the roof support and snapped off.  The jagged end drove itself into my leg.  Subsequently, as the song goes, "scarlet pillows, start to spread!"

Anyway, to the hospital for a couple of stitches.  Haven't lost my temper on the course to this day.  Now, when i hit a bad shot, I just calm myself, breathe a little, tell myself I can still make a good shot on the next swing and just keep moving.

Occam's razor

Thinking about this a bit, it seems like its a combination of being overly competitive and having unrealistic expectations for me. I've pretty much sucked at everything since the time I was little, but it doesn't mean I don't desperately want to do well. You've hit decent shots before so this next one ought to be pretty good. Then it's not and the spiral starts.

History shows that the rare day where I don't feel competitive are my best rounds. Once in awhile I can psych myself into that. Sometimes it happens for other reasons. It's not really not caring, but it feels about half way there.

That's where I need to get to every round. Trying, but just not caring that much.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

remember a couple things - but mainly it's just "grow up"

1 - it's a GAME

2 - have realistic expectations of my abilities - a little frustration isn't bad, but getting pissed?  seriously

3 - tantrums are for 3 year olds  (yes, 'losing it' is a childish tantrum, IMO)  (I used to get mad in junior high, so I quit the game for a couple decades.  so much more fun now without all that negative pressure)

muttering, "that's a crappy shot" "you dummy" to myself is probably as far as I go.  if I'm just having a super crappy day....I'll toss the score card and try new stuff with my shots, (more shaping and 'practice' stuff) that's sometimes even more fun

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!