IGNORED

Ditching the lob wedge?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently play 50/54/58 wedge setup.  Realized over the last few rounds that I really only use the 58 when I'm super short sided, or need to hit a flop that clears a bunker and stops.  I use my 54 for every from 20 yards to 110.  At the other end of my bag I have 3w, 20* hybrid, 4 iron.  I love my three wood which I hit about 235-245 off the deck, but I usually only use it off the deck when I have a 100% green light (good lie, no OB or hazards near the target).  Hybrid I hit about 215-220, so I'm think of ditching the lob wedge (going with 50/56), and putting in a 5w or 17* hybrid.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.  Any reason to keep the LW?  Any preferences between a 5w and 2H?

LOL, I was on the course today and around the 7th hole I was thinking the very same thing. I have a 51 / 56 degree set up and i rarely use the 60 degree. Like you I only use it in heavy rough around the green and down hill lies in the sand trap. On the other hand if I got rid of it and needed it I would be a little upset. The old saying would rather have it and not need it comes into play here.

Taylor Made R1 10.5 Rip Phenom Reg Flex Shaft

Taylor Made 09 Burner 3 wood stock shaft (stiff)

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Hybrid Kurokage stock reg flex shaft

Nike VR_S Forged Irons 4-AW Nippon 950 GH HT stock reg flex shaft

Cleveland 588 RTX 56 deg wedge

Titleist 60 deg wedge

Odysee Versa Sabertooth Putter

I've taken the LSW advice and have spent some time learning my distances for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full swings for my wedges.

My 1/4 swing lob wedge (60 degrees) is about 20 yards, 1/2 swing 30, 3/4 swing 40, full 45.  My 1/4 swing sand wedge is about 50 yards.

At 40 yards or less I'd much rather use the lob wedge with a swing I know how far it will go instead of guessing by taking something off a 1/4 swing with my sand wedge.  I don't play often enough to have a feel for that kind of shot.

I use my lob wedge a lot as I find myself near the green much more than on the green.

Although for chipping, I usually go with the sand wedge and do try to rely on feel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Currently play 50/54/58 wedge setup....

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.  Any reason to keep the LW?  Any preferences between a 5w and 2H?

1) As for my thoughts about the wedges, first and foremost, golf is an individualized experience, so only you know what is best for you. And, the fact that you are a single digit handicap means you have experienced success on the golf course. Having said that, if you haven't read Dave Pelz's, Short Game Bible , I think it would give you some food for thought about using wedges.  I read this book several times over the years and it has been a big help for me and for some of my friends with whom I have shared the book.

2) Preference between 5W and 2H:  In my bag I have a 17° TM Raylor and a 19° TM RBZ hybrid.  With a difference of only 2° loft, one would think that these clubs would be redundant. The fact is, I use my Raylor as a trouble club out of rough or bad lies. So when you select either a 5W or 2H, you might want to consider finding a club that can help when those longer shots are from a gnarly lie.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I used to use the 64 degree lob a lot. It takes a lot of practice to hit it well, but once I learned it I was dangerous from 40 yds or closer. The ball lands like it has a parachute attached. I'm probably going to get another one. It's especially useful when you have a bunker between you and the green, and you don't have a lot of green to work with.

- Disc Golfer

Love my 60 degree lob wedge. At a course we play, there's a hole that has a greenside bunker, so far, I've hit that sucker every time I've played there. Pin is always very close to the bunker, so a soft splash works best, and my 60 fills that bill...

I am returning to a 50 + 54 + 58 setup this spring. I played it two years ago, and then went to 50 + 56. I'm getting certain shots - short out of fluffy rough or a steep-banked sand shot - where it hurts not to have the 58.

I had the 54 and 58 regripped in January, and also had the specs checked. As I suspected the 58 was 1/4" longer than the 54, and one degree too upright. I had the 58 trimmed and bent, and headed for the practice green on a warm day. The 54 and 58 now work as a smooth team. With the 58 tweaked, I got better distance control and line with it.

The 54 is good for longer sand shots, but not when you really need the ball up.

What you might want to do is carry the 50 + 56 as your standard, and swap the 56 for the 54 + 58 on courses with deep and shaggy trouble around the green.

------------------------------------

As for 2H or 5W... it depends on which one you hit best. If you can get it launched OK, the 2H might be lower and hotter. The 5W works better out of the rough, unless you have super clubhed speed.

If you decide to keep the 50 + 54 + 58, you could consider swapping the 3W for a 4W.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I don't carry anything shorter than a 56°.  Tried several times, but never could get enough use from it to make it worth the extra practice time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I carry a 50/54/58/62

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Has anyone here used a 64 on at least a semi-regular basis? Maybe I'm just one of the few.

Not here, and I even ditched my 60 degree a few years ago. When properly struck, I found that there were very few shots where my 56 SW wasn't sufficient.

I play a 52 / 56 / 60 / 68. The 52 is my GW. the 56 is my SW with more bounce. My 60 is the club I use most often around the greens (except chipping). They are Tommy Armour wedges and I like the looks. The 68 I use for those short "gotta get the ball up and stop it close to the landing area" shots. Only use it when I don't think the 60* will stick. I have more forward lean than most people I know, so the extra loft of the club probably makes it more like others less lofted clubs. I carry a 16* 3W, 19* 5W and 23* 4H. They fill the gaps nicely.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I'm sure it's totally against how you're "supposed" to do it, but I use my 60 for nearly everything within 60 yards. Reason being is that I don't have a whole lot of time for practice, so majority of my practice goes to the full swing. I've found that it's in my best interest to then use one club for every shot in my short game. I've become very versatile with it. I've tried to use lower lofts around the greens and from 10 to 60 yards out, I can never get the feel, it'd take a lot of time to practice. I'll stick with what works at the moment.

Edit: it may be worth noting that I learned how to hit a LW with a 64 degree for one full year. Now I play a 60 and have a ton of confidence, I don't have to hit the 60 as perfect as I had to hit the 64.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Has anyone here used a 64 on at least a semi-regular basis? Maybe I'm just one of the few.

I have played a 64 for the past 3 years, and it is great out of the bunker and on close/tight shots around the greens (I never take a full swing with it). After my set P at 46, my wedges are 50, 58, 64. Big gaps, but I'm comfortable with them.

I'm sure it's totally against how you're "supposed" to do it, but I use my 60 for nearly everything within 60 yards. ...

I think you're supposed to use what you feel confident with. When I first started playing, I'd bought a used Ben Hogan Radial "E" club. I don't know that the loft was, but this club seemed to be good for just about any type of shot - full, chip, pitch, sand, flop - even if I didn't know what these shots were called.

I have a cheap 60 that I feel pretty good using for flop shots and deep bunkers. I don't have the swing speed or skill to get the ball to spin backwards on a flop, but can get a lot of height and it doesn't roll out much when I open the face. I don't have much confidence using it on full swings however.

Jon

It's all personal preference.  I hated my 60 degree until i really practiced with it, and now it is my go-to club for anything 40 yards and in (and sometimes further).  if you can practice enough to feel comfortable with the 54 pulling off the shots you are doing with the 58 then ditch it.  If I was in your situation, though, I'd stick with the wedge.  I don't think a 5 wood or 2h would benefit you more than your wedge.  You're talking about a 15 to 25 yard gap at over 200 yards.  pull the club you want to hit, and hit it.  If you hit it well, and your distance falls in this magical void zone, you'll either be a little short or a little long with hopefully an easy up and down.  If you're caught with a bad lie at 240, I think a new club would only talk you in to bad decisions.

Yes, it takes practice. I found that I constantly had to de-loft it with shaft lean to get a consistent strike. I also found that I had to be very precise on anything longer than a half swing. Now that I'm fitted to a 60, I don't need the shaft lean and 3/4 and full swings are a lot more forgiving.

I also never used my 64 in a greenside bunker unless I wanted like a delicate 5 to 10 foot splash. I had to swing extremely fast to get it out any further than 10 feet, and accuracy would go down because of it.

You can certainly play well with a 64 and long as you put in the time. I just feel like with a 60 or lower, you don't have to put in as much.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I used to use the 64 degree lob a lot. It takes a lot of practice to hit it well, but once I learned it I was dangerous from 40 yds or closer. The ball lands like it has a parachute attached. I'm probably going to get another one. It's especially useful when you have a bunker between you and the green, and you don't have a lot of green to work with.

Rather than carrying a specialty club that's very difficult to hit and "takes a lot of practice", I'd humbly suggest managing your approach shots with a little more thought towards not getting into those situations.  It's far easier, and more effective, than trying to learn to play very difficult recovery shots......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!