IGNORED

2015 Hero Indian Open, Delhi, India

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Amongst the ancient graves and monuments of Delhi India the European and Asian pros, and few ams, teed it up on a very narrow tight course.  Up to 25 players did not carry a driver but although the rough is slight, the jungle beyond the fairway is nasty indeed.

I would not be surprised to see one or more monkeys zip down from the treetops and snatch a ball off the green.  'Rub of the Green, or outside Agent'?

After first round 5 guys at -6, from Canada, Sweden, Bangladesh, India and Thailand. Total 4 from USA in field, but not DLipsky.   MAJimenez at -1.

Sponsor Hero Motors makes 18,000 motorcycles per day for India, according to TV commentator.  Hero is also paying golfer TWoods to be 'worldwide ambassador on two wheels'.

I watched about a half hour or so this AM before going to work.  Some of the worst pro golfing I've ever seen.  I don't know if everyone has food poisoning or if the constant car honking from the nearby traffic is the cause.

Watching this course is actually pretty good to me.

It is quite nice to see how they are playing on such a poor standard course thats clearly never had the money spent on it like say riviera, certainly on the shots into the rough thats high and pretty wild.

Kinda also reminds me of a UK course in summer that has little irrigation.

After 2 days of play, local guy SSPChawrasia leads pack at -10. One at -9, others at -6 and less.  Best USA guy, PPeterson in at -5. Total 3 USA pros made cut.

Yes, it's a noisy affair with the birds yammering away and countless motorbikes zipping around, no doubt all Hero bikes.

I suppose for many it's a training ground in patient play and poor conditions for junior level pros working towards betterment.

Chawrasia (who btw is also an Indian with multiple ET victories) started disastrous, +4 after 7 and lost the leading position for now.

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Indeed.  A big surprise.  Certainly Lahiri gets into the Master's now.

Chawrasia, yesterday's leader started today at -12, finished at -7 shooting 76. Best USA finisher PPeterson in at -4.

MAJimenez lost his wheels today too.  He shot 76.  Difficult for the older pros, like 51 yrs old, to keep up 4 days of hi-pressure golf.

And again, Lahiri from India wins in a play-off after Chawrasia shoots +5.

a lot of players played very poorly today. it was hard to watch at times! not a great advert for european golf imo

Mark

Weapons of choice:
:titleist: 910 D2 :titleist: 910 Fd 15° :titleist:910H 17°
:mizuno: Mp54 4-PW :vokey:52 -12 :vokey:  56 - 12 :vokey: 60 - 08
:odyssey: Pro Type 2 ball 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that

a lot of players played very poorly today. it was hard to watch at times! not a great advert for european golf imo

True, but I'm guessing most players won't even make the entry list in 'regular' tournaments. So many players I never heard from before in the field...

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

True, but I'm guessing most players won't even make the entry list in 'regular' tournaments. So many players I never heard from before in the field...

yeah, lots of asian tour players and few if any 'marquee' euro tour players. still amazing to see so many throw away so many shots.

Mark

Weapons of choice:
:titleist: 910 D2 :titleist: 910 Fd 15° :titleist:910H 17°
:mizuno: Mp54 4-PW :vokey:52 -12 :vokey:  56 - 12 :vokey: 60 - 08
:odyssey: Pro Type 2 ball 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that

Most unforgiving golf course I've ever seen at a regular tour event. No rough, fairly short, but once you strayed off line you were going to pay a penalty, it was just a question of how much you had to pay. I find it quite frustrating in most events, both Euro and US, that players can miss a fairway by twenty yards and end up in trees, but regularly can still have a shot to the green. On that course you needed to have a chainsaw in the bag if you even went a yard into the jungle, so when people are talking about restrictin the bombers perhaps instead of growing up the rough and looking at 8000 yard courses they might stop manicuring the tree line.

Note: This thread is 3347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!