IGNORED

Pete's Programme (Single Digit to Tour Player)

Nosevi
Note: This thread is 2892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's a little bit easier to use and looks nicer, it's free if you have the other one(the one you're using there) :)

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Great commitment there Pete, I live quite far south in southern hemisphere and sometimes in the middle of summer hit the course at 6am. Also staying out till 10pm is great (although now with a kid that hasn't happened for a while). Longest day down here you could be on the course from 5am till 1030pm. I think up there you guys get even longer daylight hours?

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Theoretically you could do 4am to 10pm where I live, but you would need to be mental. Think I would prefer the Dubai night golf though :-)

Chris 

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Great commitment there Pete, I live quite far south in southern hemisphere and sometimes in the middle of summer hit the course at 6am. Also staying out till 10pm is great (although now with a kid that hasn't happened for a while). Longest day down here you could be on the course from 5am till 1030pm. I think up there you guys get even longer daylight hours?

I suppose I am reasonably committed and the only reason I put it in was to make the point that doing this isn't always plane sailing, achieving something hard takes effort. Given I'm looking after my kids for about 5 hours a day (give or take) when my wife's at work but they're not at school, I have to schedule my practice around them. The swing studio helps as I can practice long game at night if necessary but I need to start my day early to get in phys, short game, on course, long game, admin etc. You won't see a time on this post (but Chris will), it's currently 0420, I'm have a quick brew and getting ready to hit the course at about 5.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying what I'm doing, but it's not just a case of pitching up to the course for a pleasant round of golf each day. I think it'll take a bit more effort than that and I think that's where some other attempts have stalled - they underestimated the size of the task.

Theoretically you could do 4am to 10pm where I live, but you would need to be mental. Think I would prefer the Dubai night golf though

Night golf gets my vote too :)

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Theoretically you could do 4am to 10pm where I live, but you would need to be mental. Think I would prefer the Dubai night golf though

Have to say, though, was out yesterday and it really is a great time of day to go practice on the course. Mornings like that and it's not such a hardship........

Pete Iveson

Ok, minor disappointment - I've twisted my left knee. It's not bad, 2 or 3 weeks of short game (which will do no harm) and I'm sure I'll be back at it. The disappointment is that today I had to withdraw from the club matchplay championship and on Saturday and Sunday (2 round event) is the Club Stroke Play Championship which I very much doubt I'm going to be able to play in - my timing is not good.

I'm disappointed as, although my target was always to win both next year (this year was all about taking part in comps), I had a legitimate shot at becoming Club Champion this year. To put it in perspective taking any 2 rounds I've shot on my home course in the last 3 months and I'd have won the Club Championship in any of the last 5 years. Obviously I could have messed it up on the day or someone else could have come out of the blocks and posted a better score than anyone in the last 5 years, but essentially I had a pretty good shot at ticking off those targets a year early.

Oh well, not meant to be, life goes on.

Still pretty disappointed if I'm honest........

Pete Iveson

Keep your chin up, think how Rory feels ;-)

Chris 

Sorry to hear, Pete! As long as your knee doesn't become as bad as Dan's back, then I'll stay positive about it.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Keep your chin up, think how Rory feels ;-)

Very true. [quote name="RandallT" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/144#post_1165698"]Sorry to hear, Pete! As long as your knee doesn't become as bad as Dan's back, then I'll stay positive about it.[/quote] Zero chance of that. I'll chip and putt and be a demon round the green when I get back to full swing in a few weeks. It's just a twisted knee, no biggy, shame about the timing is all.

• Upvote 1

Pete Iveson

Ok, minor disappointment - I've twisted my left knee. It's not bad, 2 or 3 weeks of short game (which will do no harm) and I'm sure I'll be back at it. The disappointment is that today I had to withdraw from the club matchplay championship and on Saturday and Sunday (2 round event) is the Club Stroke Play Championship which I very much doubt I'm going to be able to play in - my timing is not good.

I'm disappointed as, although my target was always to win both next year (this year was all about taking part in comps), I had a legitimate shot at becoming Club Champion this year. To put it in perspective taking any 2 rounds I've shot on my home course in the last 3 months and I'd have won the Club Championship in any of the last 5 years. Obviously I could have messed it up on the day or someone else could have come out of the blocks and posted a better score than anyone in the last 5 years, but essentially I had a pretty good shot at ticking off those targets a year early.

Oh well, not meant to be, life goes on.

Still pretty disappointed if I'm honest........

Gutting. Hope the other guys out there realise how lucky they are!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Ok, minor disappointment - I've twisted my left knee.

Did it happen from practicing, playing golf?   If so, how?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Gutting. Hope the other guys out there realise how lucky they are!

Thanks.  I certainly had a shot at it. Next year I'll make sure it's a given (and I'm fit).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Happened on the course although it was probably the result of hitting too many balls. Went after a drive and it just 'went' on the follow through.

Thing is I set up really square with both left and right foot, my left foot isn't flared out at all. That wasn't a snag before but I'm hitting the ball quite a bit harder now and with a lot more rotation and it puts a significant twist on my left knee. Pretty sure I'm going to have to change my setup and flare out my left foot so that I take the strain off my left knee on the follow through. May take a bit of getting used to but think I need to make this change.

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Quote:

Happened on the course although it was probably the result of hitting too many balls. Went after a drive and it just 'went' on the follow through.

Thing is I set up really square with both left and right foot, my left foot isn't flared out at all. That wasn't a snag before but I'm hitting the ball quite a bit harder now and with a lot more rotation and it puts a significant twist on my left knee. Pretty sure I'm going to have to change my setup and flare out my left foot so that I take the strain off my left knee on the follow through. May take a bit of getting used to but think I need to make this change.

I was afraid that it was from golf and you have to tweak your swing as a result.   Better to tweak it now to avoid future injury.   Wish you a speedy recovery.   Too bad about forgoing your matches.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

I was afraid that it was from golf and you have to tweak your swing as a result.   Better to tweak it now to avoid future injury.   Wish you a speedy recovery.   Too bad about forgoing your matches.

Might not be all bad, the change should help me through the ball, help me clear my left side a bit more easily.

This vid is from a while ago but due to the angle it's taken (my instructor is 6'5'' I think) it shows my feet position pretty well. You can see they're pretty square and I end up going onto the outside of my left foot on the follow through. Probably not a good recipe for my left knee or left ankle.

May take a while to get used to my left foot being different but worth doing in the long run.

Pete Iveson

Might not be all bad, the change should help me through the ball, help me clear my left side a bit more easily.

This vid is from a while ago but due to the angle it's taken (my instructor is 6'5'' I think) it shows my feet position pretty well. You can see they're pretty square and I end up going onto the outside of my left foot on the follow through. Probably not a good recipe for my left knee or left ankle.

May take a while to get used to my left foot being different but worth doing in the long run.

I remember looking at my left foot a while back as I'd noticed it moved a fair bit during the follow-through. When comparing it to the pros', it's very similar and has to 'clear' so I wouldn't worry about keeping it locked to the floor. Rory's certainly moved out toward the target a lot from what I can remember. Based on your video though, I think you've spotted the right thing, and it won't take as long to adjust to as you think.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I remember looking at my left foot a while back as I'd noticed it moved a fair bit during the follow-through. When comparing it to the pros', it's very similar and has to 'clear' so I wouldn't worry about keeping it locked to the floor. Rory's certainly moved out toward the target a lot from what I can remember. Based on your video though, I think you've spotted the right thing, and it won't take as long to adjust to as you think.

Thanks mate and I hope it falls into place pretty quickly, guess we'll see. Thing is I'm pretty impatient and want to go into the sim/swing studio and start giving it a go. I sense that would be a mistake. I'll give it a week or two for my knee to feel a bit more itself then give it a go. Will let you know how I get on :-)

Pete Iveson

Bad luck, Pete. But thats sport, sometimes a drawback to become a better player. Maybe a chance to visit the British open?

Unfortunately not, think I'll have to watch on TV.

Does mean I've got this weekend free though so can take my baby to a show (and by that I mean my car :-) )

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 2892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!