IGNORED

It's on!!! Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

Yukari
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who wins?

• Floyd Mayweather
    • Manny Pacquiao

Manny will come out hard but if Floyd can weather the initial storm he'll out score him. Floyd is about as close to a perfect technical fighter as you can find.

Manny have to knock him out.  Many opens up a lot when he attacks.  It will be easy for Mayweather  to pick him off.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol that was a fight? My Mom would have done more damage with a wooden spoon. # boring. Scam of the decade.

Dave :-)

Manny will come out hard but if Floyd can weather the initial storm he'll out score him. Floyd is about as close to a perfect technical fighter as you can find.

:whistle: Lame but kinda of what I expected. Could have been closer 5-6 years ago, but Floyd's fighting "style" ages better than Manny's.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I was never overly interested in this fight. I watch some parts of it today and it was as boring as I expected it would probably be. "Fight of the Century"? Meh.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I agree, if Manny doesn't knock out Mayweather in the first three rounds, Mayweather will win by decision.  I believe Mayweather ducked Manny for years out of fear he'd get knocked out and lose the opportunity to make the money he has in his other fights.  Mayweather now has a nice financial cushion and this will be the huge payday it always would have been but with a lot less risk of him losing.  Despite being the biggest fight in the last 10 years I won't waste $100 to watch Mayweather run around the ring and throw just enough jabs and punches to secure the decision.

Prescient. Boring fight, Manny wasn't busy enough. Disappointing all around

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Disclaimer:  Not a big boxing fan or expert.

The problem with boxing as I've always seen it is that it's judge based when somebody doesn't get knocked out.  It falls into the category of Figure Skating and Gymnastics when guys just get to subjectively decide who they thought looked better.  Certainly there are many objective aspects to the scoring, but it's still not perfect as seen this weekend by the fact that the judges on the panel and the guys who work for ESPN or other various experts don't agree.  Some have even suggested that part of the reason (maybe all of the reason) why Pacquiao didn't change his fighting strategy throughout the fight is because he and his corner were under the delusion that they were ahead.

So, that brings me to my question:

All arguments for or against the subjectiveness of the scoring system aside, why in the world don't they at least give the scores publicly round by round?  By the 8th or 9th round, when Pac now KNOWS for 100% certainty that he is going to lose unless he does something different, perhaps he tries to knock Mayweather out and the end of the fight becomes a little more exciting??

Could anybody imagine if a basketball game didn't have a scoreboard, and further, if the referees didn't announce whether or not those 22 or 23 foot jumpers were in fact 3-pointers?  A similar analogy to Saturday might see a team running the clock out as time expired only to find out afterwards that they were losing by 3 points.  How absurd it that?

• Upvote 2

Disclaimer:  Not a big boxing fan or expert. The problem with boxing as I've always seen it is that it's judge based when somebody doesn't get knocked out.  It falls into the category of Figure Skating and Gymnastics when guys just get to subjectively decide who they thought looked better.  Certainly there are many objective aspects to the scoring, but it's still not perfect as seen this weekend by the fact that the judges on the panel and the guys who work for ESPN or other various experts don't agree.  Some have even suggested that part of the reason (maybe all of the reason) why Pacquiao didn't change his fighting strategy throughout the fight is because he and his corner were under the delusion that they were ahead. So, that brings me to my question: All arguments for or against the subjectiveness of the scoring system aside, why in the world don't they at least give the scores publicly round by round?  By the 8th or 9th round, when Pac now KNOWS for 100% certainty that he is going to lose unless he does something different, perhaps he tries to knock Mayweather out and the end of the fight becomes a little more exciting?? Could anybody imagine if a basketball game didn't have a scoreboard, and further, if the referees didn't announce whether or not those 22 or 23 foot jumpers were in fact 3-pointers?  A similar analogy to Saturday might see a team running the clock out as time expired only to find out afterwards that they were losing by 3 points.  How absurd it that?

I think you make some valid points there.. however, the judges numbers weren't even that close, I'm not sure how pak and his crew were delusional enough to think they were in it?? Unless the judges don't know what the hell they are doing? My brother watched the fight and told me that he didn't think it was close either.. I'm taking his word for it.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I scored it 115-113, Mayweather. I gave Manny 1 more round than 2 of the judges who scored it 116-112. The guy who had it 118-110 was completely wrong. In terms of showing scores, I think they do that in the Olympics and I like it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Disclaimer:  Not a big boxing fan or expert.

The problem with boxing as I've always seen it is that it's judge based when somebody doesn't get knocked out.  It falls into the category of Figure Skating and Gymnastics when guys just get to subjectively decide who they thought looked better.  Certainly there are many objective aspects to the scoring, but it's still not perfect as seen this weekend by the fact that the judges on the panel and the guys who work for ESPN or other various experts don't agree.  Some have even suggested that part of the reason (maybe all of the reason) why Pacquiao didn't change his fighting strategy throughout the fight is because he and his corner were under the delusion that they were ahead.

So, that brings me to my question:

All arguments for or against the subjectiveness of the scoring system aside, why in the world don't they at least give the scores publicly round by round?  By the 8th or 9th round, when Pac now KNOWS for 100% certainty that he is going to lose unless he does something different, perhaps he tries to knock Mayweather out and the end of the fight becomes a little more exciting??

Could anybody imagine if a basketball game didn't have a scoreboard, and further, if the referees didn't announce whether or not those 22 or 23 foot jumpers were in fact 3-pointers?  A similar analogy to Saturday might see a team running the clock out as time expired only to find out afterwards that they were losing by 3 points.  How absurd it that?

The problem imo is the 10 point scoring system and the subjectiveness of the judging.  Unless a fighter is penalized or knocked down, the rounds are usually scored 10-9 and the judges on left to their own interpretations of the scoring system to decide who wins the round which is why so many people accuse boxing of being corrupt.

Joe Paradiso

I scored it 115-113, Mayweather. I gave Manny 1 more round than 2 of the judges who scored it 116-112. The guy who had it 118-110 was completely wrong.

In terms of showing scores, I think they do that in the Olympics and I like it.

I'm pretty sure they changed the scoring in 2013 to mirror professional boxing.  They won't wear headgear any longer and it's a 10 point scoring system, not computerized like it once was.

Joe Paradiso

I think you make some valid points there.. however, the judges numbers weren't even that close, I'm not sure how pak and his crew were delusional enough to think they were in it?? Unless the judges don't know what the hell they are doing?

My brother watched the fight and told me that he didn't think it was close either.. I'm taking his word for it.

It's a general observation, not meant to be specific to this fight.  Surely there are tons of fights that are closer to the end?  I would think it would make ANY fight more exciting if one guy knows for certain heading into the last round that he's knocking the other guy out or he's losing.

It's a general observation, not meant to be specific to this fight.  Surely there are tons of fights that are closer to the end?  I would think it would make ANY fight more exciting if one guy knows for certain heading into the last round that he's knocking the other guy out or he's losing.

And I agree with you 100%, I was just surprised with this specific fight that they actually thought they were winning that's all.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I'm proud to say that my country refused entry to this disgusting criminal.

Hope those of you who paid money are happy to be lining the pockets of a woman beating POS. :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The result was entirely predictable, and it is a major reason why Boxing has been in decline.    Mayweather can easily dance around and outpoint any fighter.  Most experts knew that.  So did Las Vegas.   The fight was boring but he walked away with the win.   The only way the fight could have been interesting is 1) if Mayweather decided to mix it up with Pac or 2) Pac went all out to get May until either one drops.   1) would be foolish for May to do.   Pac is too many years past his prime to do 2).    But, hey, I won a bet against a fellow golfer in my club and it's time to claim my winning.

Notes:

Soon after DK Kim died after his bout with Mancini many years ago, the world boxing orgs got rid of 15 round world championship bouts.  That was the beginning of the end for boxing as we know it. There was an outcry and boxing gods decided to reduce future death by eliminating the last 3 rounds of world title fights.   By far, most damages to fighters happen with all the sparring sessions they have in their training, year after year.   Death in the ring happens very rarely, just like death in any other sports.    But that didn't stop the PC to win over common sense.   Had the May & Pac fight was a 15 round one, there would have been 3 more rounds where there could be a real chance of one being dropped (due to fatigue & exhaustion, defensive mistakes are more likely to happen, legs will easily give way to a well timed punch).

Tommy Hearns & Suger Ray could have easily outboxed all their opponents and win on boring decision.   But they had hearts and didn't mind mixing up with Haglers, and Durans of the world.   Mayweather?   Not so much.   He can go retired undefeated but will not be a boxing name I will be fond of.

(If my posts look a bit "punchy," that's b/c I had one too many sparring sessions in my youth when boxing was front and center of everything I did.)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Pretty much sums this up,

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Pretty much sums this up,

I usually don't like those rant type monologues but that was pretty good.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Tommy Hearns & Sugar Ray could have easily outboxed all their opponents and win on boring decision.   But they had hearts and didn't mind mixing up with Haglers, and Durans of the world.   Mayweather?   Not so much.   He can go retired undefeated but will not be a boxing name I will be fond of.

My thoughts exactly.  Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran.  Those are fighters that would have cut off the ring and forced Mayweather to actually fight.  He thinks he's the greatest off all time, but he's not even the greatest welterweight of all time.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

THIS JUST IN: Manny Pacquiao will undergo surgery later this week for a significant tear in his right rotator cuff.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/595398035254935552

Can't believe some people say excuse, sure go have surgery you don't need to try and save face. :roll:

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!