IGNORED

120mph - Driver - Fitting Help

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is me at a golf shop. I picked up a 10.5deg Titleist 913 D2 with their standard S flex shaft & gave it a few smooth swings. I can swing it harder than this... But these stats are indicative of a nice fluid swing that is comfortable for me. Based on these stats, what kind of shaft & degree would be optimal for me. I don't really have a budget, just want to play with a setup most suitable for my game.

This is me at a golf shop. I picked up a 10.5deg Titleist 913 D2 with their standard S flex shaft & gave it a few smooth swings. I can swing it harder than this... But these stats are indicative of a nice fluid swing that is comfortable for me.

Based on these stats, what kind of shaft & degree would be optimal for me. I don't really have a budget, just want to play with a setup most suitable for my game.

Welcome to this site!

The first thing I should do is to warn you of any potentially snarky responses, even though you did post your simulator readings. The second is that I am surprised that the PGA store doesn't have a pro to give you a lot more advice than we do on this site?

So, based upon your description the 10.5 degrees and stock stiff D2 shaft appears to be pretty optimal. Titleist tends to be on the stiff end of shafts, so in a Ping, TM or Callaway this might be an Xstiff.

59 yards height with 2900 RPMs of backspin probably indicate that you are losing some distance, so maybe the D3 with a lower loft setting and lower COG might help your ball flight? IDK, for sure as I am also just learning about these parameters.

In any case, someone will be able to help you out! And again, welcome.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

A few things to note:

• Launch angle is too low. This is likely related to your setup.
  • 1.40 smash is not very good with a driver. 121 MPH is about 8 MPH faster than the PGA Tour average.
  • Probably very little chance you fit into an S flex shaft.

Tempo matters, and when you load and stress the shaft, so nobody can give you a great answer here.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would suggest a lesson and some practise before a buying a fitted club, too many people get fitted to a swing they don't even have! As mentioned, tempo and set up is very important, along with good contact, a fast swing speed means nothing without these, Good luck though,

Gaz Lee

Based on Raw Data, I'd suggest a bit stiffer shaft. Especially with the driver swing speed you posses. I don't really know how you load and unload the shaft so its hard to give real accurate shaft flex suggestions. If you create a ton of lag and have a more aggressive transition, I'd suggest a stiffer shaft with lower torque. If you have a smoother transition then I think a stiffer shaft would probably work but torque is not as important. A stiffer shaft with a bit more torque could help your strikes a bit and get your smash factor up around 1.45 which would be good for a mid/low handicapper. (1.50 is optimal) I am not all that concerned with your spin numbers and launch angle. If you look at tour averages that's about where they sit. around 9.5 degrees with about 2600 spin. Until your down to a + handicap, that really wont have a profound effect on your golf score. In terms of driver loft, without knowing your angle of attack it is tough to say but I assume based on your numbers that you hit about 1 degree down which would strike me as pretty fitting for a 10.5 or 11 degree driver. This is just my take. Talking to a fitter would be the best option obviously. I believe golfsmith would give you some idea for free without too many dirty looks. I hope this helps and good luck!

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!