IGNORED

Lengthening shaft?

Note: This thread is 3308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am 6'6 so I length my clubs.  My question is for the driver.  I know that adding length will increase swing weight but how else does it change the specs for a graphite driver shaft.  For example, if the shaft weight is 67 grams, adding 2 inches does what? I assume adds weight but is it just adding the weight of the extension?

Thanks

• Administrator

I am 6'6 so I length my clubs.  My question is for the driver.  I know that adding length will increase swing weight but how else does it change the specs for a graphite driver shaft.  For example, if the shaft weight is 67 grams, adding 2 inches does what? I assume adds weight but is it just adding the weight of the extension?

Yes… it just adds the weight of the extension.

Most drivers are 45" or longer already… I doubt you need to lengthen your driver.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The increase in swing weight will be pretty noticeable considering you're adding weight and length to the shaft. The feel of the shaft could also change a little bit. The loading and unloading of the driver could feel different to you. Also, if you use an extender, the flex of the shaft could very well change in a way that is hard to predict. Personally, I'm 6'4" and I use a 45 inch shaft and I'm comfortable with that. Just my opinion. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcnation

Yes… it just adds the weight of the extension.

Most drivers are 45" or longer already… I doubt you need to lengthen your driver.

A friend gave me a 48" Penley shaft for my Ping driver. I'm getting 15 more yards than the 44.5 in stock shaft. Same accuracy as far as I can tell from the 3 days I've used it.

• Informative 1

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am 6'6 so I length my clubs.  My question is for the driver.  I know that adding length will increase swing weight but how else does it change the specs for a graphite driver shaft.  For example, if the shaft weight is 67 grams, adding 2 inches does what? I assume adds weight but is it just adding the weight of the extension? Thanks

[quote name="calcnation" url="/t/80356/lengthening-shaft#post_1108363"]I am 6'6 so I length my clubs.  My question is for the driver.  I know that adding length will increase swing weight but how else does it change the specs for a graphite driver shaft.  For example, if the shaft weight is 67 grams, adding 2 inches does what? I assume adds weight but is it just adding the weight of the extension? Thanks [/quote] [quote name="iacas" url="/t/80356/lengthening-shaft#post_1108427"][QUOTE name="calcnation" url="/t/80356/lengthening-shaft#post_1108363"]   I am 6'6 so I length my clubs.  My question is for the driver.  I know that adding length will increase swing weight but how else does it change the specs for a graphite driver shaft.  For example, if the shaft weight is 67 grams, adding 2 inches does what? I assume adds weight but is it just adding the weight of the extension? [/QUOTE] Yes… it just adds the weight of the extension. Most drivers are 45" or longer already… I doubt you need to lengthen your driver. [/quote] Not many people will play an uncut shaft like I did 2 seasons ago. It was a UST V2 that was in an xhot head. It was at least 47 if not 48" inches. There were 2 concrete issues. One was that the ball was farther away at address. Simple sounding, but it changes the swing plane for me. Two was torque. You can play a flex stiffer when the shaft is longer because of the flexibilty you did not trim away. Torque values need to be stiffer also, but ultimately I found that I did not have enough vertical component in my swing, which effected left right dispersion. I still have it, and it is still the longest club I have ever hit.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

• 2 weeks later...

I've added an inch and a half adapter to several of my drivers and it has always helped me.  I used to have a Cobra Long Tom that was 48 inches stock and I could hit it really straight.  That club had way too high of a spin rate for me though so it has been gone for a while.  I just always swing a longer driver better.   Lengthening the shaft is easy.  Just remove the grip and epoxy the extender in.  I just go to Golfsmith and they sell me one whenever I need it for a couple of bucks plus I always pick up a new grip there too.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 3308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!