IGNORED

Butch: If Tiger calls, I'll Listen [Golf World - Rosaforte]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfworlddigital.com/gw/02_23_2015?sub_id=8QOZyTGxdeHp&folio;=24#pg24

Quote:
What made this conversation different is that in the 13 years they’ve been apart, I’ve never heard Butch say that he would be willing to help Tiger. But at The Floridian for a member-guest, working with Fowler before the tournament started, Harmon opened the door a crack.
“Tiger probably wouldn’t ask,” Harmon said. “At my age, 71, I’m kind of on the end of my run anyway. If he wanted, I’d be more than happy to spend a couple hours and give him my opinion. I don’t think he would ask because it goes against his pride.”
The pride goes both ways, but those of us who know Harmon always knew he wouldn’t totally turn his back on Woods. Not if Tiger was really down and out, at the low point that he appears to be technically and mentally.
Harmon made it clear that this was not a full-time offer.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did not know that Mr. Harmon was also a glute expert. :bugout:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Honestly, I think Tiger needs to pick one or two guys to listen to right now and that's it. I think part of the problem is exactly what Azinger said...he may be listening to "too many" people close to him and they're all telling him different things and that only makes things worse. Everyone's trying to be a "Brandel Chamblee" out there and tell him to do this or do that and it's not helping the situation any. Taking some time off and re-grouping is the best thing he can do right now. It's never a bad thing to hit the "RESET" button when things are going bad.

• Upvote 1

Until he is fully healthy I think it does not matter who is giving him instruction. Butch, Hank, Sean, Chris, Brandel it really doesn't matter if he is not comfortable with how his body is feeling.

Michael

If I were Tiger, I would call.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I did not know that Mr. Harmon was also a glute expert.

LOL.  Made me laugh.

Tiger is done, with or without Harmon.   I am not sure what can be done for him.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Meaningless and to no real intended end. Little bit pompous that he has 'softened' his stance towards TW and because of that sounds little bit like a pile on even though he might not have intended to come across as such.

If he really wants to help then why not directly call and leave a voicemail that is 'available' for Tiger instead of using a public forum. I am sure pride would get in the way of that too.

Vishal S.

Until he is fully healthy I think it does not matter who is giving him instruction. Butch, Hank, Sean, Chris, Brandel it really doesn't matter if he is not comfortable with how his body is feeling.

Bingo!! The man says he's healthy, but evidence points otherwise. He chunked chips at the Hero challenge, but his long game wasn't that bad at all. Contrast that to his latest showing and it's night and day with the long game.

If he really wants to help then why not directly call and leave a voicemail that is 'available' for Tiger instead of using a public forum. I am sure pride would get in the way of that too.

I thought about this too, but I'm just gonna leave it be

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I'm not really sure if Tiger's issues right now are something a swing coach can help.  I'm seeing a tentative golfer who is fearful of the "Big Miss" and seems to be yipping like crazy around the greens.  I wonder if Tiger hasn't been so good and so dominant for so long that not being on top is messing with his mind?  He's never had to be an ordinary mortal before.

But then again, maybe Butch could help him channel his former self.  I'd like to see Tiger get back to a semblance of his old game, if for no other reason than he's good for golf in general, and I'd love to see him win 17 majors :)

• Administrator

Maybe Tiger should hire Cosmo Kramer. After all…

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe Tiger should hire Cosmo Kramer. After all… [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/114819/] [/URL]

Or Stan the Caddy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Butch is a pompous ass.....as if he is the ONLY one who could possibly help Tiger...and don't even get started with the whole "public announcement" of this.

The only potential positive is that it may just add to Tiger's motivation to work things out........

All that said, I have a slight belief that Tiger just doesn't care anymore.....more interested in raising kids, new relationship.....just living life without having to deal with all the media bullshit......

On the other hand, Jack once again proves that he is pure class....talking about when he was about Tiger's age and his short game was such a cluster-fu*k that he was "putting the ball around bunkers"...talked about just having to grind through and have success and find the confidence again...very much implying that is was "between his ears" too.....just a class think to put out there in light of Tiger's current struggles.......world needs more people like Jack, less like Butch

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Where was that photo taken?  What kind of state would permit a license which read 'ASSMAN'?  It's gotta be bogus.

LOL....not real....it is from a Seinfeld episode..

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Tiger is never going to be his old self and so many folks simply do not want to accept it.  I saw an article a week or so ago where the writer compared Tiger's collapse to Mike Tyson's.  Tyson really was not a good fighter after the Douglas loss (debatable if he was still good before that fight), but the boxing world wanted to believe the old Tyson would come back and he never did.  Every fight fans flocked to see him only to be disappointed time and time again as he aged, diminished skill set, and frankly no real desire or passion to be great again.  He would beat some easy opponents which kept folks entertained and hoping for more, but the last several years of his career were a disaster.

Tiger is obviously not a World Heavyweight Champion boxer. However, he is (debatable) the greatest golfer of all time who simply has a ton of injury issues now, average short game, and a mess of a consistent swing.  Add on top his personal issues in the past along with being almost 40 with two kids growing up and a relationship with another high profile athlete that has him traveling across the world.  Its just a lot for anyone to be able to put 110% of their time and dedication into the game which is required to be the best in golf.

I think Butch could help him some, but the Tiger he worked with 15 years ago is much different than the one he would get now.  Maybe it would work, but think a lot of folks are desperate for anything to work for Tiger right now and hold out hope Butch can be the one to make it happen.

Tiger may win some more tournaments when he has a good run with no injury issues and some parts of his game come back for a short period of time, but the young guns on tour now are just too good, hit too long, solid short games, and no fear unlike the guys Tiger used to beat in his prime.  Just do not think he has anymore Majors left in him and will go down as one of the biggest collapses in golf/sports history.  I obviously do not know Tiger, but the things he did in his previous marriage are things I completely disagree with and feel karma is coming back to bite him big time.  In some ways he is getting what he deserves now, but there is no doubt a great Tiger Woods is great for the game of golf.

Tiger is never going to be his old self and so many folks simply do not want to accept it.  I saw an article a week or so ago where the writer compared Tiger's collapse to Mike Tyson's.  Tyson really was not a good fighter after the Douglas loss (debatable if he was still good before that fight), but the boxing world wanted to believe the old Tyson would come back and he never did.  Every fight fans flocked to see him only to be disappointed time and time again as he aged, diminished skill set, and frankly no real desire or passion to be great again.  He would beat some easy opponents which kept folks entertained and hoping for more, but the last several years of his career were a disaster.

Tiger is obviously not a World Heavyweight Champion boxer. However, he is (debatable) the greatest golfer of all time who simply has a ton of injury issues now, average short game, and a mess of a consistent swing.  Add on top his personal issues in the past along with being almost 40 with two kids growing up and a relationship with another high profile athlete that has him traveling across the world.  Its just a lot for anyone to be able to put 110% of their time and dedication into the game which is required to be the best in golf.

I think Butch could help him some, but the Tiger he worked with 15 years ago is much different than the one he would get now.  Maybe it would work, but think a lot of folks are desperate for anything to work for Tiger right now and hold out hope Butch can be the one to make it happen.

Tiger may win some more tournaments when he has a good run with no injury issues and some parts of his game come back for a short period of time, but the young guns on tour now are just too good, hit too long, solid short games, and no fear unlike the guys Tiger used to beat in his prime.  Just do not think he has anymore Majors left in him and will go down as one of the biggest collapses in golf/sports history.  I obviously do not know Tiger, but the things he did in his previous marriage are things I completely disagree with and feel karma is coming back to bite him big time.  In some ways he is getting what he deserves now, but there is no doubt a great Tiger Woods is great for the game of golf.

As a former aspiring boxer, I disagree with "some" of your Tiger & Tyson analogy.   Most notably, Tyson had no injuries to recover from.   Tiger's injuries have been mounting and harder to overcome each time in his comeback (IMO).  After the loss to Douglas, Tyson was never the same as the boxing world saw a formula on how to beat him.  Tyson had one brilliant run until then.  Tiger came back successfully a few times (at least twice in my count).   Tyson lost his desire to fight after Douglas' fight, never regained confidence, and was basically fighting for paycheck to paycheck.   Tiger seems to be driven to win, break records, etc..    Other that, I fully agree with your analogy :-) .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!