IGNORED

To 2/3 iron or not....that is the question.

Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not great with my long irons, but I only have a 5-iron in my bag. I use TaylorMade RBZ irons. I'm a decent iron player, but opted for a 4 hybrid over a 3 or 4-iron on my last set. Because I never could hit a solid long iron shot. I've slowly started to get more consistent with my 5-iron. So I've contemplated getting a RBZ 3-iron to use in place of trouble hole driver shots. I have about 3 holes at my HC that are in my head and I can't hit a driver without slicing or snap hooking. I hit my 3 wood well, but not consistent off the tee. My 5-wood isn't enough club to get there in two for a decent approach. Would purchasing the RBZ 3-iron with 17° loft and substituting it for my gap wedge I hardly use be a good idea for these occasions?

I'm not great with my long irons [...] Would purchasing the RBZ 3-iron with 17° loft and substituting it for my gap wedge I hardly use be a good idea?

Probably not.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not great with my long irons, but I only have a 5-iron in my bag. I use TaylorMade RBZ irons. I'm a decent iron player, but opted for a 4 hybrid over a 3 or 4-iron on my last set. Because I never could hit a solid long iron shot. I've slowly started to get more consistent with my 5-iron. So I've contemplated getting a RBZ 3-iron to use in place of trouble hole driver shots. I have about 3 holes at my HC that are in my head and I can't hit a driver without slicing or snap hooking. I hit my 3 wood well, but not consistent off the tee. My 5-wood isn't enough club to get there in two for a decent approach. Would purchasing the RBZ 3-iron with 17° loft and substituting it for my gap wedge I hardly use be a good idea for these occasions?

A 5W is a lot longer than any 3i.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm sorry, I worded that wrong. My 5w isn't enough on those holes because if my driver isn't working then my woods aren't working. For example, hole 12 at my HC is a hard dogleg right around a pond 340 to the green par 4. A straight shot off the tee box to avoid the water sends you over the left side double bunker to the cart path and a field. Laying up before the bend is only about 150 yards leaving a 3/5 wood uphill to the green. So the only way I've found to play the hole as designed is to carry the edge of the water. Which puts you about 90 yards out. My mental block is trying to avoid the slice so hard that I slice or fade into the pond or I aim too far left and hit a perfectly unfindable ball into the field. I've tried my 3w and 5w on this hole with the same results. I never slice my irons. My 5-iron off the tee feels great and I sit in the fairway with a decent but longer approach. My thought is the 3-iron would give me similar results with a greater distance to turn the 7 iron into a possible 9 or full pitching wedge since the green is up hill. Again this is one example and just a theory. I'm not a great golfer by any means but none of the guys I play with carry a 2/3 iron for me to try my theory. But I found a RBZ 3-iron in a stiff flex (which is the shafts I was fitted for on all my clubs) brand new on eBay for $41. It seems like a safe gamble to attempt to turn my drops and double bogeys on this hole into pars and save me a few strokes. Along with the other two holes that I fight my driver/woods on.

I'm sorry, I worded that wrong. My 5w isn't enough on those holes because if my driver isn't working then my woods aren't working. For example, hole 12 at my HC is a hard dogleg right around a pond 340 to the green par 4. A straight shot off the tee box to avoid the water sends you over the left side double bunker to the cart path and a field. Laying up before the bend is only about 150 yards leaving a 3/5 wood uphill to the green. So the only way I've found to play the hole as designed is to carry the edge of the water. Which puts you about 90 yards out. My mental block is trying to avoid the slice so hard that I slice or fade into the pond or I aim too far left and hit a perfectly unfindable ball into the field. I've tried my 3w and 5w on this hole with the same results. I never slice my irons. My 5-iron off the tee feels great and I sit in the fairway with a decent but longer approach. My thought is the 3-iron would give me similar results with a greater distance to turn the 7 iron into a possible 9 or full pitching wedge since the green is up hill. Again this is one example and just a theory. I'm not a great golfer by any means but none of the guys I play with carry a 2/3 iron for me to try my theory. But I found a RBZ 3-iron in a stiff flex (which is the shafts I was fitted for on all my clubs) brand new on eBay for $41. It seems like a safe gamble to attempt to turn my drops and double bogeys on this hole into pars and save me a few strokes. Along with the other two holes that I fight my driver/woods on.

Two points:

1) Why are you going to 3 or 2 iron instead of a comparable hybrid? Those irons are really hard to hit, much less hit consistently. Hybrids are much easier to hit. Since you're talking about a water carry, consistency seems to be of paramount importance.

2) None of your friends carry 3 or 2 irons for a reason. See point # 1.

If you don't care about the $40 bucks, then sure, but in a bubble, it doesn't make sense. As a general rule of thumb, irons below a 5 iron are really best suited for fairly low handicappers. You're better off either working on your 5w or going with a hybrid club.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Main reason is actually money. I have a 4hybrid now. It has a little more loft. I hit it well, but I like it more out of rough and tight lies. I felt like the 3-iron for for $40 vs. $100+ hybrid was a better buy for trial and error.

Main reason is actually money. I have a 4hybrid now. It has a little more loft. I hit it well, but I like it more out of loft and tight lies. I felt like the 3-iron for for $40 vs. $100+ hybrid was a better buy for trial and error.

Well, once you can hit the 3i well, you should have no problems hitting any of your other clubs.

Playing rounds with only irons is pretty fun and satisfying, and I'm not guilt free of trying it either. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Main reason is actually money. I have a 4hybrid now. It has a little more loft. I hit it well, but I like it more out of loft and tight lies. I felt like the 3-iron for for $40 vs. $100+ hybrid was a better buy for trial and error.

My honest opinion is that the 3 iron will probably wind up being a waste of money. At the very least, go hit one at a store or something first and see if you can handle it. It's a different animal. You can find used hybrids for way under $100. Taylormade's Jetspeed hybrids from last year were selling for $65 brand new on one of the deal sites last week. You can find plenty of used hybrids for around $50. Other new ones usually go around $70 for older models

Dom's Sticks:

Personally I'd spend the money on some quality instruction and get that driver swing sorted! Much more satisfying!

I agree. . .

Have you had a chance to hit the 3 iron?

Good idea to try out one at a local store first before purchasing one even if it is only $40.

In any case, the 3i is only about 20-27 yards longer than a 5i.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

No, I haven't we are frozen solid where I live, with no warmer days in sight. So I've been driving myself nuts practicing my swing and fixing some things. Also, hundreds of thoughts in my head on what might help and this was something that crossed my mind to possibly try! Thank you all for your input, as soon as I can get to a pro shop I'm going to see if I can hit a 3 iron and compare it to a longer hybrid.

No, I haven't we are frozen solid where I live, with no warmer days in sight. So I've been driving myself nuts practicing my swing and fixing some things. Also, hundreds of thoughts in my head on what might help and this was something that crossed my mind to possibly try! Thank you all for your input, as soon as I can get to a pro shop I'm going to see if I can hit a 3 iron and compare it to a longer hybrid.

How do you know you are fixing things? Most of us can't really tell when something is fixed or not without some feedback from an expert?

Yeah, there are so many things to picture and think about prior to the swing. It's tough. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

How do you know you are fixing things? Most of us can't really tell when something is fixed or not without some feedback from an expert?

Yeah, there are so many things to picture and think about prior to the swing. It's tough. . .

I'm the same way; I've been working on a ton of dry swings, working on keeping connected in my swing and tucking my elbow in because it was an issue I spotted last year. But not hitting balls, I don't know if I'm gonna develop a shank or something as a result of the changes. But it feels good and keeps my mind occupied.

But to the conceit of the thread: I nearly bought a 4 iron a few years ago because I was having a gap between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid and one particular par 3 was in that gap. It was $35. I'm glad I didn't because it would've wound up being redundant once I got my irons straightened out. The point is not to go out and buy clubs based on trying to patch up specific shots. Fix the underlying problem. Also don't buy a 3 iron unless you're a single digit handicap and really love it for some reason. But mostly the first thing.

Dom's Sticks:

I think buying a 3 iron now will eventually lead to you buying a 3 hybrid in 3 months when you get frustrated with it. Golf is complicated enough without you having to worry about situational equipment. It's a very weird transition going from 5 iron to 4 hybrid to 3 iron to 5 wood, and I think this could lead to you over thinking things. My advice...work on your swing and learn to love all your clubs.

Hit a ball with a stick...how hard can it be?

The RBZ 4i is 20* in loft, rather than 17*. Why are you skipping the 4i?

When I play my SLDR irons, I sometimes carry the 4i. My home course has two "wreck your round" short par 4 holes, and the 4i is great for putting a straight shot in the narrow fairways.  But, my 4H is more reliable off the fairway.

The SLDRs have the speed pocket, plus Thru-Slots on the sole of the 3i-7i, so the longer irons launch quite well. The 4i works off a tee (super), but as I said is iffy off the turf.

Old RBZ iron reviews tout the metal wood structure of the 3i-5i, but if you have bad wood days I'm not sure it would help you.

A friend of mine has dropped his 4i in favor of a 4H, which he said is more versatile. (BTW, he has a 7 HDCP).

If you're lukewarm on your 4H, try some other makes and models. I hated the first two models of hybrids I tried. Then, two years later on a demo day, I tested some Callaway and Adams hybrids that were just flat wonderful.

I normally carry a 4H, and swap my 7W for a 3H in colder, windy weather.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Probably not.

Simple, straight forward, and in my opinion, accurate.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

How do you know you are fixing things? Most of us can't really tell when something is fixed or not without some feedback from an expert? Yeah, there are so many things to picture and think about prior to the swing. It's tough. . .

Well like above I found last year my right elbow wasn't coming inside enough, so I've worked on it, towards the end of last year and this past season. While fixing it my club face became severely open creating a nasty slice unless I casted. After watching some videos and images of people paused in the back swing I realized my wrists were cocked in the backswing. So my focus has been keeping a straight wrist. My slice isn't gone, but more of a fade/hard fade and now a draw/hook. So now that that aspect is better (not fixed) I've been working on timing and muscle memory for my swing changes. I've also been working on ball/club head positions to make sure I'm hitting down and divot forward. I've had a couple chances in between Ice storms to make it to the range and notice I feel better swinging a club and my shots are much more accurate than they've been since I was a teenager. Now as my swing is more consistent I've been working on getting my swing speed back up to where it was 5 years ago since I foolishly adjusted my swing to compensate for my slice vs. fixing the cause.

Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!